mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Good job! 2009 Specialized SX Trail 2

Hey everyone. Just purchased an SX Trail 2 frame. I was wondering if anyone knew what bottom bracket to use. That whole subject is quite confusing to me. lol. Still learning. I am trying to run a 2x10 set up as well. Hopefully I can make it into a mini DH frame that can climb. If anyone has any build suggestions please let me know. Starting with a blank slate. Oh I also have a 2010 Fox 36 Float I got for a steal. So that will be my fork. obv... Oh and it comes withthe DHX 5.0 shock which should be grand. Let me know what ya think! Thanks guys/gals!

Picture Unrelated
    What bottom bracket depends on what crank you are going to use. The typical measurements you will need are BB shell width and spindle length. Unless you have an external BB crank, then it's universal and you just need to put the spacers in the right places.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Hey zebrahum,

Yeah its the external bb. I thought the shell was either BB30 specific or GXP or other specific. So if I have a 68/73 bb shell then I can use either a BB30 or GXP setup?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDan View Post
    Hey zebrahum,

Yeah its the external bb. I thought the shell was either BB30 specific or GXP or other specific. So if I have a 68/73 bb shell then I can use either a BB30 or GXP setup?
    No, you need to have a BB30 frame in order to use a BB30 bottom bracket. Depending on your crank you need either a GXP or a Shimano fit bottom bracket.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Ah got ya. From the equipment that was on it from the factory, Truvativ Stylo, I'm assuming its a GXP set up. So I'll just have to get one of those bad boys. .