mtbr member
    Dec 2006

2006 Hollowpoint MKIII Comp vs. Sport

Alright so I'm thinking about one of these two bikes...and I can get a real steal of a deal on the sport. The things that concern me

The sport has the same rear shock as the comp, but the frame appears slightly different. What is the deal with that and does it affect strength. I don't mind the lower components on the sport because for the price difference I have I can swap everything out plus some.

Basically is the frame as strong, and how do the two front shocks compare?

Flying Goat
    frames seem the same though the comp seems to be better specced with a more AM worthy fork and such. And it's cheaper too... so why are you worrying about the sport?
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=55
    http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/it.A/id....=7&category=55

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    look at the top bar....the little connector link to the seatpost is different. I agree the frame looks the same everywhere else, but that is a difference.

I am a little worried about the fork. I will definitely be riding some more aggressive AM. I cannot find ANY information on the fork on the sport, which concerns me. Anything you know let me know

Flying Goat
    oooo... i see what you mean. That gusset is to reinforce the seat tube to hold the seatpost higher. Not sure why they're different on both though. In terms of strength besides that, there shouldnt be any. Only difference is you get to put the seat post higher on the Comp.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    yea...i stood on both of them today and didn't even notice the difference until I looked at em online.

I cannot find a single review of that fork....the manitou black. If anyone can scrounge something up let me know. the website doesn't even have information on it. I know the revalation is a tough fork to beat.

Flying Goat
    Manitou Black is really an XC and entry level AM fork. I'd defeinitly go with the Revelation. The Comp (the one with the Revelation) is much cheaper then the Sport(the one with the Black) dude... why are you looking at the Sport?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the sport is here locally and cheaper than that website, and the comp here is $1500. Rs doesn't have my size in stock anymore.

Flying Goat
    darn... sorry to hear they ran out of your size... how much are you getting the mkiii sport for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    $1050 with $100 in store gift coupons. So really like $950.

Like I said before I have no problem with the components besides the fork. That is were the comp shone compared to this bike.

I am afraid this shock can't handle the abuse I will give it....someone tell me something good about it!

until then I think I will be holding out and riding this terrible diamondback response piece of crap.

Flying Goat
    the shock should be fine if you keep it aired enough for your weight. As for the fork, i find that the new Manitou Blacks are meant for lighter riders. Unless of course, you get new coils.

banned
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    look at the top bar....the little connector link to the seatpost is different. I agree the frame looks the same everywhere else, but that is a difference.

I am a little worried about the fork. I will definitely be riding some more aggressive AM. I cannot find ANY information on the fork on the sport, which concerns me. Anything you know let me know
    I saw that at the bike shop today. I think the pictures look different depending on the size of the frame. The same Comp frame at the LBS looks like the Sport in the picture you mentioned. The larger size IK MKIII's have the longer connector tube. So I think the frames are identical.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    how difficult/expensive is it to install new springs. I'm a 175lb 5'11 rider so would that count as light enough? I will be doing some 4-5 foot drops to flats max....so do you think this bike could handle that?

Flying Goat
    Quote Originally Posted by y0bailey
    how difficult/expensive is it to install new springs. I'm a 175lb 5'11 rider so would that count as light enough? I will be doing some 4-5 foot drops to flats max....so do you think this bike could handle that?
    the bike can definitely handle it... i'm not too sure how hard it is as i've never done it before. But if you know how to remove the lowers, then it shouldnt be too hard.