mtbr member
    Oct 2006

2005 Kona Cinder Cone or Specialized Rockhopper XC or Redline d440 or...

Hey everybody,

I have been looking for a used bike in hopes of getting something a few years old that's better than something new in my price range ($400 at most so says the wife). I have checked out pawn shops, craigslist, and LBS that sell used bikes. I haven't ridden a bike in 15+ years, I am 33, 5'10", and weigh about 155lb to 160lb. I will ride trails and I'm not afraid of jumps, but will probably stay away from anything that might make me miss my daughters' future birthdays. I will also be pulling a bicycle trailer (on pavement) that I have just been using the jogging feature on up until now.

I have found 3 bikes that I have yet to ride (I am in San Antonio, they are in Austin). I will ride them to see how they feel, but framewise they are approximately the same size. They actually are each about $400 before negotiations.

They are the 2005 Kona Cinder Cone (individual) the ?2001? Specialized Rockhopper XC (pawn shop) and the ?year? Redline d440 (LBS). Let's say the prices end up the same and that they all feel great when I ride them. That's actually not unlikely since the only bike I ever had as a kid was some old banana seat junk bike.

So what are opinions on these bikes or should I go another way, like a "new" entry level bike in my price range?

Thanks for all input and opinions, and sorry for the long read.

There's no app for this.

some thoughts...

the Rockhopper might be good, but it's almost 9 years old, and parts might be costly if in bad repair.

Here's a comparison of the other 2, assuming the Redline is 2009:

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/S...=92850b+19064b

IMHO the Kona is your best bet - good spec, 1/2 decent fork, disc brakes. The Redline doesn't specify what fork & has VBrakes.

Just my .02, Jim

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks Jim. That's kind of what I was thinking about the specialized, and I would rather not purchase from a pawn shop. I was supposed to check out the Kona today, but the owner had a bench press mishap and went to the Emergency Room.

I've been in touch with another bike seller who has a 2005 GF Marlin. I've never ridden one of their bikes and I want to check out their geometry. It like the others is in my price range.

Thanks again Jim, and anyone else's input would be great.

There's no app for this.

always check the frame

make sure it's really clean, use a magnifying glass if you have one, and check for hairline cracks @ stress points. 2nd, the fork...if it's old, you might not be able to repair it or get parts, so if it looks poorly, expect to drop about $250+ to replace it. Just more confusing thoughts, Jim