mtbr member
    Feb 2004

2003 SGS Sport or EPX Terra-Shark??

okay I've narrowed it down to these 2

Epx Terra-Shark carbon expert

or the Iron Horse 2003 SGS Sport

both are about the same cost but the EPX MSRP is like 2800 clams compared to the SGS' 1400

What do you guys think? I'm really hurtin for a new ride. It'll be mostly a trail/DH bike.

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepSeaSnake
    okay I've narrowed it down to these 2

Epx Terra-Shark carbon expert

or the Iron Horse 2003 SGS Sport

both are about the same cost but the EPX MSRP is like 2800 clams compared to the SGS' 1400

What do you guys think? I'm really hurtin for a new ride. It'll be mostly a trail/DH bike.
    I've been wondering the same question, but with the Kona Coiler in place of the EPX.

By the way, the SGS is on clearance at supergo for $900.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdukeferdinand
    I've been wondering the same question, but with the Kona Coiler in place of the EPX.

By the way, the SGS is on clearance at supergo for $900.
    Yeah I noticed your post right after posting this one, kind of a hard board to get a response from.
    Supergo is the cheapest I've seen seen either bike at. I'm leaning toward the SGS since it has alot of reviews out there and is coming from a good american company. Beefier shocks and I'm sure it will handle the weight. Although a 2800 bike sure sounds good for a grand, just dont know about the carbon fiber I read today that small scratches can end up catastrophic.

We get titles?

Who says its worth $2800?

Yeah I noticed your post right after posting this one, kind of a hard board to get a response from.
    Supergo is the cheapest I've seen seen either bike at. I'm leaning toward the SGS since it has alot of reviews out there and is coming from a good american company. Beefier shocks and I'm sure it will handle the weight. Although a 2800 bike sure sounds good for a grand, just dont know about the carbon fiber I read today that small scratches can end up catastrophic.
    Has anybody paid $2800 for a terra shark? Is there any consensus that it is now or ever was worth $2800? I don't know, but these are the questions I'd be asking.

The Gnarchitect Sketch.

Yeah, I think I'm sold on the SGS. For the added cost of beefier springs, switching out the mech discs with hydros, and upgrading to a shock w/propedal or a lockout I can have a bike that does exactly what I want.

mtbr member

IR SGS, hands down.

Ok, if it's just between these 2 bikes, and based on what you said you would be using it for - trail/dh, I'd say the Iron Horse is your choice, period. I wouldn't trust the carbon frame for anything else than melow xc riding. Plus, these 2 bikes are not even in the same class. The EPX is a xc to xc racing bike (although components could be definitely improved for racing), with a steeper head angle, and air shock. If you're going to ride trails agressively, and occasionally dh's, then SGS is your only choice here - slacker head angle, lower position in the saddle, better and longer travel fork, longer travel coil shock, beefier tires - in a word, it just fits the purpose. I haven't really look at the whole component spec, but just these few points and the frame itself are enough.
    On a side note, I personally would not give the EPX a second look if I was looking for a xc fs bike, as far as the brand goes it doesn't really inspire confidence in the product, especially if the (claimed) 2800 dollar bike is offered at half the price... which BTW I don't believe, no way this frame would justify such a price tag, IMO. The design itself looks dated as well, nothing there screams hi tech or new...
    The SGS on the other hand seems like a legitimate candidate, especially if you can get it for well below 1k. Having said that, if your budget allows a few hundred bucks more, then there are a few more bikes - especially from last year - that would fit the bill, with better suspension components (Jamis XLT, KHS FR1500, to name a few).

Arek

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    EPX was probably the contractor. Their parent company is the world's largest manufacturer of carbon composite componets and goods.

Village Dirtbag
    EPX is an XC bike, so don't give it a second look if you want to freeride or DH.

Personally, I LOVE that the TerraShark was going for $3k a year ago. When my Schwinn S-20 Carbon was stolen out of my house a year ago, they said they would replace it with a similar bike that is available today (since the S-20 is no longer made, after the Schwinn buyout). The Schwinn was a full suspension carbon monocoque XC bike. I looked an looked, and the only carbon monocoque full suspension XC bike being made anymore was the TerraShark. It seemed that in the early 2000's, most of the big companies had a hard time turning profits with carbon monocoque frames, leaving little botoquie makers like EPX as the only purveryors of such bikes. I told the insurance company this, and lo and behold I get the $3k settlement! I used the money to get a Blur instead of the TerraShark though.

I read a review on the TerraShark a couple of years ago in Mtn. Bike. They liked it OK, but didn't think it was anything all that special as far as performance goes. It was pretty light and handled nice, but it has an older suspension design, and required a lockout to control bob.

It is probably an OK deal at it's current price if you don't mind using a lockout.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Aight, I got the SGS it will be here next week. thanks fellas I'll let you know how it feels when I get it on the dirt

The Gnarchitect Sketch.
    Aight, I got the SGS it will be here next week. thanks fellas I'll let you know how it feels when I get it on the dirt
    Yeah, I'm particularly interested. I'm planning on ordering mine next week.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdukeferdinand
    Yeah, I'm particularly interested. I'm planning on ordering mine next week.
    well I got it yesterday at about 1800 and was riding it around the neighborhood at 1900 it seems very capable even with the stock springs it handles what I can find to throw myself over. The tranny in my truck went out so I havent been able to hit any real trails yet but I went up and down the local elementry schools staircase a couple of times and road down some concrete bleachers with no problems.

This is the first bike I've ever owned with disc brakes. It has been quite a ***** getting them spaced correctly, I still dont have them perfect yet. I think the psylo is a bit soft but thats what I expected so no supprises but before I go back up to whistler Im gonna have to find a tougher fork. The Vanilla however seems pretty nice in back I just tighten it down about a half inch and it feels fine.

Archdukeferdinand when you pick yours up let me know how it comes along Im interested in what you think.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    carbon fiber frame for down hill?

no no no

unless you want to pull some teeth out of the dirt you hit when the frame breakes

big girl's blouse

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    EPX is an XC bike, so don't give it a second look if you want to freeride or DH.

Personally, I LOVE that the TerraShark was going for $3k a year ago. When my Schwinn S-20 Carbon was stolen out of my house a year ago, they said they would replace it with a similar bike that is available today (since the S-20 is no longer made, after the Schwinn buyout). The Schwinn was a full suspension carbon monocoque XC bike. I looked an looked, and the only carbon monocoque full suspension XC bike being made anymore was the TerraShark. It seemed that in the early 2000's, most of the big companies had a hard time turning profits with carbon monocoque frames, leaving little botoquie makers like EPX as the only purveryors of such bikes. I told the insurance company this, and lo and behold I get the $3k settlement! I used the money to get a Blur instead of the TerraShark though.

I read a review on the TerraShark a couple of years ago in Mtn. Bike. They liked it OK, but didn't think it was anything all that special as far as performance goes. It was pretty light and handled nice, but it has an older suspension design, and required a lockout to control bob.

It is probably an OK deal at it's current price if you don't mind using a lockout.

I know nobody's gona even care about this any more as you chose ur bike etc. but i HAVE to mention my new bike. I am a brand new rider. Looking on good old ebay i saw (and bought and epx REEF. Which has the same frame as the terrashark ecxept an aluminium swingarm instead of carbon fibre, and looks cooler, YELLOW!

ANYWAY... my point.... this bike cost me 200. Roughly $380? and ur talkin in the k's !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images