mtbr member
    Feb 2008

2003 khs xc 904r

Now I'm just wondering,

I bought this bike because it was superlightweight and was fast as hell on the trails, but recently I've been abusing the hell out of it and riding a LOT harder. I want to toughen it up a bit, and maybe ditch the 27 gears.

Any advice on this?

Single speed crank?
    Rims? Tires?

Experienced XC Rider, but I'm kinda new at the All Mountain scene. So any help would be appreciated.

28, 185 lbs, $1000 budget.

Setup: Stock
    XT/XTR Components
    Front: World Cup SID w/ remote lockout
    Rear: FOX Float RL w/ remote lockout
    Side pull brakes

That's about all I can think of.

Actually just found this link. EXACT setup I have.

http://www.bike-alog.com/BikePedia/Q...904R&Type=bike

Again. Thanks for any help.

ups and downs
    It's a lightweight XC race FS frame and it will likely have a short and unhappy life as a hardcore all mountain frame. It doesn't have the travel or the strength to survive heavy duty thrashing.

You'd be better off finding someone who is trying to find a light race bike and getting a proper all mountain bike as a starting point. Maybe find someone with a 6x6 bike like a Giant Reign looking at getting a light XC bike instead and swapping.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Um...Wow...I feel sheepish...I guess I've been out of the scene too long. Maybe I need to renew my subscription to a couple mags.

What is a 6X6?

Thanks for the advice tho.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I rode GT's for the longest time and loved them. I'm looking at some i-drives as I type, and I hope the quality is back up to snuff.

Any advice as to which is best for a hard riding weekend warrior?

ups and downs
    6"x 6" travel all mountain bikes.

As bike specialization has gotten more specific to use, the light frames have gotten light and less thrashable and the all mountain 5"x5" and 6"x6" are super durable but heftier.

The rear end pivot bushings and bearings on the KHS 904 will pound out fairly quickly if you are not a 145 pound racer riding fast over slightly bumpy courses.

Heavy duty all mountain bikes like Giant Trance/Reign bikes, Santa Cruz Nomads, Ironhorse DW link bikes, Rocky Slayer SXC, Spesh Enduro, etc. etc. are like light freeride bikes that you can ride uphill. They can take a licking and keep on ticking.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ah...thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it.