mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2001 Klein Quantum Race Value?

I've been biking on my Klein Attitude for a while now and am looking to do some road biking. Being very satisfied with my Attitude, I'm looking at a used 2001 Klein Quantum Race. The seller is asking $725 and the bike includes these components:
    Shimano Ultegra double crankset, 39-53, 172.5
    Ultegra f&r derailleurs
    Ultegra brakes
    Ultegra 9 speed cassette
    105 Flight Deck Compatible shifter/brake levers
    Internal frame brake and derailleur cable routing
    Syncros Seat Post
    Shimano WH-R 550 wheels
    ITM Stem--135 length
    Cane Creek 1 1/8 S2 sealed bearing headset
    Flight Saddle

The guy's throwing in some extras like unused cat-1 shoes, but they aren't my size anyway (43).

What do you guys think, worth the buy?

mtbr member
    $725 isn't bad as long as the frame and fork are in good condition and the parts aren't in need of immediate replacement.

I'd be worried that the parts on an 8 yr old bike may be ready for replacement. That would make it an bigger expense and not worth it to me. In that case, I'd rather buy a newer used Klein frame for cheap and build it up myself.

I've got 2 Klein road bikes and love the ride and handling. My older one is a similar model to the one you are interested in. I'd search ebay's completed listings for similar klein quantums and see if that's a fair going price.

Here's my old pic of my Q Race... I switched the fork out with an Easton fork which was an improvement over the Icon fork.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Klein Attitude & Palomino replaced with an 09 Specialized Stumpy FSR Elite.