mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2001 gary fisher paragon question

i have one of these that i picked up off craigslist. i want to put new cranks on it but want to be sure of what i need to get first and i'm not finding one bit of information on google. i'm assuming the bottom bracket is 73mm, but i want to be sure. anyone know this?
    ride bikes and listen to slayer

mtbr member
    Well you can pull out the existing spindle and it will be either 68mm or 73mm. You can also measure the frame. A 73mm bottom bracket with spacers would probably work with a 68mm shell. The bike came with Shimano cranks so I dont think you will have a problem. If you could get a good deal I would put on a set of Shimano XT's or RF Deus cranks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    yeah, one of the cranks is a little stuck so i haven't been able to pull out the bb yet. don't have calipers to measure the shell, and i'm not sure the outside diameter would necessarily tell me much about the inside diameter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bikegeek666
    yeah, one of the cranks is a little stuck so i haven't been able to pull out the bb yet. don't have calipers to measure the shell, and i'm not sure the outside diameter would necessarily tell me much about the inside diameter.
    The diameter is irrelevant, it is the width of the BB that is important and that can be easily measured with any kind of simple measuring device (just measure the width of the frame's BB shell).

If you buy a new crankset with external bearings even the width is irrelevant as I don't know of any external bearing cranksets that don't adapt (all included in package) to both 68 and 73mm BBs (it's just a question of adding one more or less 5mm spacer). If you go with the old style square taper BB/crank (same probably holds for ISIS and old style Hollowtech I) also spindle length is important to get the proper chain line. Most external bearing style cranks don't allow for variation in chain line, which might be something to consider on an older frame. Race Face cranks have the possibility to adjust chain line by a couple of mm (2 or 3 I don't remember) and thus should give you a bit more flexibility.

mtbr member

Park Tools

Quote Originally Posted by bikegeek666
    You have to have the right tools of course to remove the bottom bracket. You also need to make sure you are turning from the right direction. I have taken my bike in to a shop in the past to have them remove the bottom bracket. They had to use about an 18 inch breaker bar. You probably have a 68 mm bottom bracket. If you see spacers (washers) between the frame and crank arm its 68. Your local bike shop can quickly set up a new crank with the correct spacer configuration. I set up a new crank a while back and experimented with the configuration before getting it set up right.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=95

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    that's a good point about external bearing bbs...i plan on using that, so i'll check. i've seen a 73mm external bb, but i'm not sure if a 68 could work but spaced differently. you're probably right and it probably could, i just don't remember from the previous external bb i bought if it said anything about that.

and i have the right tools for removing the cranks. i got the drive side off and tightened the bb cup but couldn't get the nds off, it's just gonna take some pb blaster or something i'm sure.