mtbr member
    Jun 2007

2000 Klein Attitude Comp for $600

Hi. First off, I'm close to completely new to riding trails. I did a little a few years ago, then moved to an area where there were none (the beach). Now I'm in an area with plenty of trails, and wanted a little help on what bike to buy. After looking at new and used bikes/prices, I've decided that I don't want a slow frame that I'm going to want to replace in a few years, so I've been looking at used. There's a guy on Craigslist selling a 2000 Klein Attitude Comp for $600. Pictures make it look like it's in good shape with all the original components. Good deal? Bad deal? Everything on this bike makes it sound like an awesome frame. Finally, I'm 5'7" and the bike's a 17.5. Sound too big? About right? I've got a Trek Hybrid now in this size, and I'm stretching a little further sometimes than I feel like I should be, but I'm not sure how that will translate to a XC, especially in a different manufacturer. OK, thanks for any imput and sorry for any over-noviceness. Eric

mtbr member
    The bike is too much money. It probably sold for about $1200 when it was brand new. Even if he bought it and then stored it for the past 7 years its still overpriced. Its probably worth about $250-$300 thats assuming it runs really decent and you dont have to fix anything. If it doesnt have disc brakes the wheels might be worn out plus the fork is really dated. I think way too many sellers on Craigslist overprice their bikes. Why not it doesnt cost anything to list anything. At least on Ebay they have some motivation to sell their stuff. You could certainly do better on a used bike. If you look further down in this forum a guy bought a 2007 Stumpjumper for less than $800. If it has disc brakes and it fit really nice and it ran really well and he could show that he had replaced chain, pads, tires and cassette and it came with a decent set of pedals I might go as high as $400. The tires are probably suspect if the are OE.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the input. I was thinking that 50% of the original cost was a good deal....thanks for telling me otherwise! I'm not sure what parts (if any) have been replaced, but I know the fork is the Manitou SX that the bike was stocked with. I also know the bike has V-brakes, not disc. Thanks for the input, and maybe I can offer a bike less if I like the feel of the bike.

mtbr member
    I might be wrong on the price because its a Klein and someone might pay a little more. In Seinfeld Jerry had a lime green Klein hanging from the ceiling in his apartment. Because its a Klein this guy might stick to the $600. I think you would be better looking for a Giant XTC or Stumpjumper with disc brakes that would be a little newer for about the same amount of money.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for all the help. I'll still check the bike out and maybe offer a little less if I do like the bike. Maybe Mr. Seinfeld could buy it off him if he sticks firm to $600. I haven't really checked out Giant, so thanks for the advice there too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    And while I've got at least one ear, any opinion on used vs. new on a $600 - $700 budget? There's a few decent looking bikes new in that range (Trek 6000, Fisher Piranha/Tass, Rockhopper), but the idea of a lighter used bike with good components is nice too. Guessing it's just a matter of preference, but I didn't expect to hear $600 was an outrageous price on the Klein either........

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Too little info to make an appraisal. Condition of frame/components. Was it used a lot? how? or it might just be hanging from the rafters just like Seinfeld's. It'll be good if you can post a pic.

Regarding size, Kleins are sized XS, S, M, etc ... at 5'7" you can fit the S or M as Kleins catalogue's recommended sizing: S - 5'4"-5'7" and M starts from 5'7"- 5'10".

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    You would be paying $400 for the bike and $200 for the name. People pay a premium for the Klein name because of the mystique. They have beautiful paint and welds, but past that, there is not much special about them compared to many other frames. I have had two of them, and both are gone.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the info! I don't have all the necessary info as you suggest. I'm going to check the bike out later and get those details. The pictures make it look like the bike is in great shape (ie a rafter hanger), but who knows, they're just pics. I'm including them here though (I hope). Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (9.5 KB, 357 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (6.9 KB, 298 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (8.4 KB, 215 views)

mtbr member
    I think the $200 for the name is about right. I really think you should try to find a bike with disc brakes. Its doubtful that you could easily change this bike to disc brakes. In hardtails I am totally biased towards what I would call "professional or race grade" hardtails. The ones I see on the trails are Stumjumper, Giant XTC, Kona Kula, Trek 8700, Jamis Dragon, GT Zaskar and others that typical start around $900. The Raleigh 8.0 with disc brakes and a 27 speed drive train for $600 new looks pretty nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the input. I checked out the bike. It was in really good shape; it's only been ridden on paths, never touched a trail. I rode it and offered the guy $400 for it (thanks for all the help on pricing! I totally took it all into account). Another guy stopped by to check it out and gave him the $600 asking price so my deal was a no go, which I'm fine with. After that I stopped by a shop to drool a little over a Stumpjumper so I may be saving my pennies for one of those guys, but I want to check out some of the other recommended bikes as well. I can't thank you enough for your opinions and suggestions. Thanks and I'll keep it posted as to my next move if you have any interest. Eric.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Apparently I'm bad at posting so it looks like I'm only thanking one member. Thanks to CDMC as well as I knocked that $200 for the name off my offer to get to $400. Not that it was accepted, but it seemed like a reasonable offer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Next idea....is the Stumpjumper one of those bikes that no matter how much I spend over my budget I'll be thankful every ride that I did? Everything I see on it is positive and I can always make more money I suppose. I'm having a hard time figuring out how deep in to go on this purchase as I'm a pretty inexperienced rider; however, I feel pretty confident that I'll be riding pretty often and don't want to be thinking "what if" every ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by EricJ
    Apparently I'm bad at posting so it looks like I'm only thanking one member. Thanks to CDMC as well as I knocked that $200 for the name off my offer to get to $400. Not that it was accepted, but it seemed like a reasonable offer.
    I hope you saw it first before making the offer. From the picture it looks nice but that might have been taken years ago

Anyway, I don't see a derailleur hanger for disc brakes, so you wont be converting V- brakes to disc in the future. The frame looks like a medium, not sure though, if it is, you could be stretched out with that longish stem. The tires are definitely not original as they look like Contis. Originals are Bontragers.

I would think $450 if you don't have to replace/fix anything and the frame is blemish-free. Not lowballing it but the original price of $2000 quoted by the seller is msrp. I have the Attitude Pro (full XTR, RS Sid, Cane Creek wheelset, Flite/Thomson, Time pedals) which had a msrp of $3500 and bought it for $1650 on closeout at Supergo....just for comparison.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Older guy - I did go see and ride the bike before making the offer. It looked just as good in person, it was riden on paths only, and it looked like minimally at that. The fit felt good, though I'd want to ride a small for comparison ideally. Good call on the tires, he replaced them for smoother surface riding, but still had the originals stored (which is why I suppose he said they were original). All in all, it was a very nice ride, so I offered $400; however, he had another person coming to look at the bike who offered him the full $600 asking price. Obviously he sold it to the other person (I would have too!). Regardless, the bike is gone, and I'm fine with it. I would have been comfortable with $400. Seeing and riding the bike reinforced what everyone said. It rode nice, but even with light use I can see where a new"er" bike would be nicer. With that said, I'm regrouping and starting to realize that if I were to buy a 2007 $600 MSRP bike that I'll be thinking of Stumpjumpers and the like in my dreams. The curse of not having won the lottery........

mtbr member
    It was hard to believe that the Klein with the old SX fork and rim brakes sold for $600 but then again there was the Klein Mystique and my brain must have been on vacation because this is the time of year when used bikes will command a much higher price.

The Stumpjumper with the Fox fork would absolutely run circles aroun the Klein. I race a lot and almost anybody who specs a buildup has a Fox fork on it. The Fox fork isnt the lightest either its just the best. Last week a guy bought a slightly used 2007 Stumpjumper for less than $800 which is probably why I thought a 7 year old Klein should only be worth $400. I like Disc brakes but if you found a bike with a Fox fork on it and rim brakes it would be worth taking a look at.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks again for all the assistance. Apparently the guy that bought it was coming from work in Washington DC looking for something for a triathalon this weekend. I'm not sure about where you're from, but folks in triathalons that work in DC tend to have a little extra cash. Yes I'm willing to take criticism on that one if anyone's reading. Plus, this guy was on a deadline on top of that. No worries, I'm glad the guy got his asking price; he was nice enough to deal with and very straightforward.

I saw the guy with the Ebay Stumpjumper. Nice find on his part. Now I've got a better idea on what sort of deal to jump on - though I'm a little wary of Ebay still. Regardless, we'll see how long I hold out before I drop way more than I was intending to on a new bike. By the way, I really can't thank you enough for input on things like the fork and what you're seeing on others' bikes in races and on trails. Exactly what made me want to post here to begin with.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Update for all who helped:
    After taking in advice about models, and looking at the internet, looking for "deals" (they're tough to come by!), and stopping into a few local shops, I've ordered a Dragon Comp from my LBS. The amount of time it takes to scour pages for a great deal was killing me, as I don't have a trail worthy bike now! It came down to a Stumpjumper or a Dragon, and the Dragon was my bike. I'd have LOVED to pick up a Dragon Pro, but the budget said Comp it is. The bike should be in in about a week, and I'm looking forward to hitting some rocky trails with it to see if steel's all it's cracked up to be. Thanks again guys. Eric

mtbr member
    You are right about the time it takes to look for a deal. Finding the right bike, the right size, and the right price can take 4-6 weeks looking through Ebay. This is also a sellers market so the prices are on the high side. I dont think you can go wrong with the Dragon. Its been around for a long time and owners swear by the frame. Have fun out there on the trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks. I'll enjoy it. And yeah, I could get a second job with the time it takes to find a deal. Thanks for your assistance and take care.