mtbr member
    Apr 2010

2000 Cannondale Super V 400

Sorry I posted this before in the wrong section:

I have the opportunity to purchase a 2000 Super V 400 (specs)(also has new Jones ASX tires) and am wondering if it is worth it or not. I have a few questions:

1) What is it worth? I can get it for $500
    2) I currently have a 2006 Motobecane 500HT with stock specs that can be found here. Will this be much of an upgrade because the technology is older on the 2001 bike?

Thoughts?

Thank you very much for your help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My personal opinion is that you are better off with a slightly used modern hardtail for that price. Those bikes are heavy, and suspension designs were kind of in the infancy stage back then, and not that great.

I would definitely rather have your hardtail than that bike.
    -elake

"I don't half-a$$ anything, for me it's whole-a$$ or nothing."
    -elake

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stick with your hardtail. I had a Super V (1998). It was heavy, bouncy, limited travel and altogether not up to today's standards. But, in 1998 it was the cats meow. You can do much better and you have much better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thank you for the responses! Big help! What about a 2002/2003 Scalpel? click for specs

What would you pay for it? Would this be an upgrade or is it not worth the money to upgrade from my Motobeccane? Thanks again...

Bike Geek

nice bike

The scalpel is nice. I would check ebay and craigslist for prices on similar bikes and frames. Make sure you check it for cracks and dents.
    RIP AL DAVIS

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Found a 2002 Scalpel 800 in OK condition. Would you pay $500-$600 for it?

Parts look a little rusty/dirty... not sure how easily they can be cleaned up, if at all.
    Last edited by life_generalist; 04-21-2010 at 05:06 AM.

mtbr member
    I might pay $500 but thats me and I know a little bit about bikes. First I have to know that the bike is going to have a pretty decent fit. I am not buying it unless its in my size. An Ebay bike is going to be a crap shoot and a lot of buyers will not bid on a bike unless its being sold by the owner. About half these bikes tend to be picked up at garage sales etc and sold by someone who knows nothing about bikes.

Cannondale bike have proprietary forks on them either a Lefty or a Head Shok. They can be a bit of a problem either replacing or fixing. The suspension on this bike I think is a soft-tail which isnt quite as popular now days. This bike I am sure won a lot of races in its day and still has some life in it. However I think the only way I would spend $500 on its is if I really wanted a Scalpel to maybe race and I was willing to take a bit of a risk. Things like the chainrings, cassette, chain, and maybe discs and rotors could all need replacing. If I was working the budget you are on I would probably looking on CL for maybe a Stumpjumper, Giant NRS, Specialized Epic in close to the same price range. If you could test ride this Scalpel and it fit like a glove and shifted and braked smooth it would probably be worth the money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thinking about a 2002 Scalpel Team with the following specs for $1000:

Frame- Aluminum w/carbon rear, fox float L shock with flip lock out, travel 2.5 inches
    Fork- Lefty aluminum upper with titanium lower, travel 3 inches
    Wheels- 26" Mavic X 3.1 tubeless Disc
    Tires- Continental Explorers Rear 2.1 Front 2.35
    Shift/Brake Levers- XTR / XT Disc
    Brakeset- XT Disc 160mm F/R
    Crankset- Coda Hollow Gram 172.5mm 2x9 29x44t
    Bottom Bracket- BB 30
    Rear Derailleur- XTR short cage
    Front Derailleur- XTR
    Cassette- XTR 12x34
    Chain- Shimano
    Handlebar- Easton Carbon CT2 580mm
    Stem- Cannondale Coda 0 degree rise 80mm
    Seatpost- Ritchey Amuminum PRO
    Headset- Cannondale Coda
    Saddle- Serfas Titanium

link to model

Thoughts?

mtbr member

Same Comments

Same comments as before. Are you the same height as the seller who hopefully is the owner. Also this bike is set up with a 29/44 crank which means if you live in a really hilly area or are old and want a triple you will have to hunt down a Cannondale dealer and get another spider and two more rings for the crank. Not really a big deal but if you know you need a triple you might consider that. The bike is a good deal but once again you are buying a XC race bike. This bike will have even lighter wheels than the other one. A big guy who is riding this hard could break a few spokes and be looking at a different wheelset for hard hilly riding.