2006 Yeti AS-X

1999 Specialized FSR Pro

A buddy of mine is selling his 99 FSR Pro for $200 bucks. I haven't seen the bike first hand yet (I plan to) but I have asked him what condition the bike is in. The main two things I have asked is cracked frame or messed up fork. I know a cracked frame or messed up fork = no sale (The chains have some rust as well as the chainrings, that is no big deal, I can fix those up no prob) but messed up fork or frame definetly no go in my book.

If the frame and forks are in good shape and the bike itself just needs a tune up, would you think $200 is a steal for this model?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

$200 not such a deal

Have the shocks been serviced? Have the pivots been serviced? A rusty chain is a sign of neglect. Check the fork seals for crack of rub marks on the fork. If your are capable of the rebuilds it might be worth it. The forks on these old Specializes are difficult to find parts for.

There's no app for this.

agreed...

Quote Originally Posted by socallush
    Have the shocks been serviced? Have the pivots been serviced? A rusty chain is a sign of neglect. Check the fork seals for crack of rub marks on the fork. If your are capable of the rebuilds it might be worth it. The forks on these old Specializes are difficult to find parts for.
    The life of an aluminium bike is about 5 years of use. The bike is now 9 years old. Parts will be hard to find if you can even get them. Most importantly, you could ruin your friendship if problems arise and are consistent. You'll start to think your "buddy" has screwed you. A good friendship isn't worth risking, IMHO.

IMHO your $ is better spent going into a new ride; save your money for later. The reality is the old FSR will need more $ pumped into it anyhow negating any savings you expect. Think of it as the equivalent of buying a 30 year old car. Expect problems.

Wish I could tell you differently, but I'd steer clear.

Jim

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I agree with above posters. A rusted chain means the owner is not keen on maintainance. Ironically the other components take more time and effort to maintain, rusted chain maybe a clue of what you are about to find.

Considering the frame and fork are okay. If you have to replace other parts, the cost will add up quickly and even if you have a new drivetrain this still leaves you with a dated frame and fork both in materials and technology.

It will be a good buy if it is well maintained and you don't have to buy/replace anything taking into account it is aleady 6 years old.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Thanks for the advice. I will save the dough for a better bike.