mtbr member
    Jan 2009

1999 Schwinn 4banger Homegrown all mountain..HELP!

A few questions about this bike, any help, opinions or facts would be really cool.

-I know these bikes are prone to crack near the swingarm mounts?? Is there any advise on how to prevent this (torque #'s) Also are all of these (4bangers) prone to crack or just certain years?

-Is it possible to replace the rear SID air shock? if so any suggestions?

-I have read these bikes have somewhat of a cult following! what is the value of this bike in really good condition?

Hey, and if you have ANY info and tips about this bike i would love to hear it. Thanks my friends.

Here is a link with info about the bike: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...tain&Type=bike

ride hard take risks
    Well I'm no expert on the 4 Banger, I had a customer that rode one extremely hard with no issues and loved it.

As for the cracking it could be the over sized upper pivot, the Lawwill design is awesome and very active.

Optional shocks should be pretty simple to figure out if the eye-to-eye is known. As a guess a modern Pro Pedal shock would not be a good choice because it has no stutter bump compliance which may cause added stress to the lower pivot.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

Former Bike Wrench
    Had a couple of customers back when I wrenched...one with a 2000 4 Banger and one with a Strait 6. The 4 Banger did fail at the shock mount and since in 2003 Schwinn had jack squat for replacement frames...he was kind of SOL.

As far as the shock, I was thinking Cane Creek...but they don't make a replacement (and they make replacements for almost anything). I personally preferred the SID rear shocks to any of the non-propedal Fox air shocks so unless the SID is not working, I'd keep it.

As far as ride, the one thing the Lawwill design suffered from was pretty bad brake jack. The customer with the Strait 6 had a custom made floating brake mount on his that kept the rear suspension active under braking (he competed locally and won many DH races on it).

CTB
    mtbr member
    OK, here's what I know.

Your subject line says Homegrown All-Mountain, so this must be the gold/silver bass-boat bike that has a separate seat stanchion welded onto the top tube and came with a dual-crown fork. These frames were very different from the non-Homegrown versions.

There are six pinch bolts on the Homegrown - two at the upper main pivot, two at the lower main pivot, and two on the swing arm. As I understand it, the cracking you hear about is at those pinch bolts when people over-tighten them. The torque on these is VERY low, so one MUST use an inch-pound torque wrench to keep from cracking the frame or swingarm. The later versions (2000+) eliminated these pinch bolts completely and had press-in designs. The Schwinn "service manual" from back in the day listed all the torque specs for these bolts.

So if you are looking at this bike, check all the pinch bolt locations for cracks, as well as the shock mount.

As for shocks: NO, you cannot replace the SID shock on these bikes in any easy manner. The only way you can do this easily is to find one of the old trunnion shocks that were used on the coil-spring versions of the bikes. These were various forms of Rock Shox Deluxe/Coupe Deluxe/Super Deluxe. The Straight 6 version of the non-Homegrown frame came with a Fox Vanilla R with a trunnion mount. These two trunnions are NOT interchangeable, as Fox and Rock Shox use different thread pitch.

Any other shock fitment will require custom machining of unique parts. That's how I made a 2004 Fox Float RL from a Cannondale Jekyll work on my bike. It took a friend with a machine shop to make this work. You can see the details of my installation in this thread:

Custom Fox Float Shock Install on 4-Banger Pics

What's it worth: Do not believe the people on Craigslist who think that the bike is worth $3000. No, sorry. I got my non-Homegrown for $560, and I paid a couple hundred more for my Homegrown that had many non-standard parts on it. They're great bikes, but honestly you should not pay over $1000 for one, IMO, unless it is literally a time-capsule bike that is showroom-new. The bikes do have a cult following (I just joined the cult a year ago, and now I have two of them and am still looking for a 17" Homegrown version) - I really like mine, so much that I'm tearing mine apart to install all new bearings in the suspension. I have a modern fork and shock on my bike, and it performs very well for my riding (in the saddle XC rider who doesn't go for big air).

As for the brake jack, I believe that was a bigger problem on the original pull-shock Straight 6 (not the same bike as the later 2001 model, which was pretty much a 4-Banger with a longer shock). I don't notice any problems with my 4-Banger, but then again I'm not a pro rider.

Hope this helps - I see this post is a little old, but I just now saw it. Feel free to ask more q's.