mtbr member
    Sep 2008

1999 GT Avalanche Upgrades

Hey everyone, I have a stock 99 GT Avalanche bike that I was looking to upgrade so that I could further enjoy some nice single tracks and fire trails here in Southern California. The avalanche feels rock solid but does not take bumps very well and is quite heavy. I have a budget of only around $500 because if I am going to have to spend more than that I would rather just wait a couple years and buy a new bike.

The handlebars seem slightly narrow and the shocks don't have much give. Any recommendations on upgrades?

mtbr member
    Unless you can get some stuff pretty cheap from Jensonusa or Pricepoint then look on Ebay. Without shooting the budget all at once look for a used Reba fork about three years old-$200, swap out the old LX crankset for a slighltly used outboard bearing XT-760 $120, If the wheels are old replace again with slightly used disc and rim compatable fpr $150. Well there goes the budget. If you still have some money left then go to Jenson they have been selling Hayes hydraulic brakes for about $70. Buy one for the front wheel. Some of the stuff you might get cheaper. I have seen FSA Afterburners go for less than $100 and if the back wheel is ok just replace the front.
    Last edited by borregokid; 09-03-2008 at 07:34 AM.