mtbr member
    Nov 2005

1999/2000 Rocky Thin Air

I had a Rocky Mountain Thin Air. It was a 99 or 2000 (can't recall which). It had XT drive train, SRAM 9.0 grip shift. Carbon Fiber seat post, Marzochi (sp?) Bomber front suspension. I think it sold new for around 2K back then (I bought mine used).

It was stolen yesterday. Insurance will buy me an "equivalent" bike - so not what such a bike would be worth today if I were selling it used, but the same bike relative to today's technology, etc.

Any idea what is comparable these days, or how much something like that would cost to buy in today's dollars?

Thanks

Former Bike Wrench
    Yep, I remember those...sold and worked on them in 1999-2000. They went for about $1800 with a mix of XT and LX and a Easton Ultra-Lite frame with a Z-2 Bomber fork.

The equivalent Rocky Mountain would be a Vertex 50 these days so I would start with that

There's no app for this.

some thoughts...

mtnbiker72 covered most of it but here's extra: since you're in the Vancouver area, you'll likely get best pricing from Simon's bike shop on Robson, and 2) the '09's are about to come out, so you might want to drag your feet a bit before you buy. The 2008 model listed for $2,399 CAD + GST@5%, no PST, not sure what it sells for, Simon has 20% off 2008 RM models but doesn't list them on his site.

There are a ton of great bikes out there, so if Rocky isn't it, there are many to choose from.

Cheers, Jim

http://www.bikes.com/main+en+01_102+...tml?BIKE=528#2

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks for the info gentlemen. I figured someone had to remember this bike. I checked some reviews and note that others have paid as low as 1400 for the bike you mentioned. Does that sound right? Or has it changed price points over the years (or are these guys just lying so as to make it seem like they got a good deal?).

Thanks

There's no app for this.

hard to tell

in Canada Simon's will be your best bet, but the $1400 you mention might be a US based resident who bought a 2 year old bike when the LBS wanted to dump it, there's really no way of telling. In my experience though, no matter how good a deal you get, there's always someone out there that claims a better one. this applies to cars and houses and meals in restaurants and all things material.

The best deal I ever got was on a 2003 Specialized Enduro, listed for @2700 CAD but there was an oversupply - ion Canada it dropped to $1999; I got one for $1049 USD out of Renton WA, and had a buddy bring it up as one of their bikes across the border. With currency back then it really cost me about $1600 CAD or so not counting the risk of GST non payment and duty at 13% etc etc etc.

Good luck, and now that the CAD against the USD is .90, cross border deals not longer are "deals".

Jim