mtbr member
    Dec 2006

1998 hardrock part replacement

Hello to everone...

I have a 1998 hardrock sport. Haven't used it the past year or so. Planning to ride again and want to install 3" rise bars. Will need longer cables.

The left shifter cracked. Cable guide under the crank, cracked. Rear wheel slight bent. Was fixed at thr lbs after accident. Teeth on crank are beginning to show wear.

I'm just just looking to get on the road. No serious upgrade.

What do you guys recommend/suggest?

Plan to ride with kids at the park, no serious trails.

Thanks....

Current setup.
    Answer Manitou Pro (front shock)
    Aheadset (threadless headset)
    Sram front triple MRX 200-10
    Sram rear 7 speed MRX 200-70
    Acera X front derailleur
    Shimano A rear derailleur
    175 crank (It also has these numbers on the crank and I don't know what it means 6-4 right 6-5 left)
    42-34-24 crank
    Avid Single digit brakes
    Stock handle bars
    Bar ends
    Frame Pump
    Toe clip
    V shaped saddle (by Specialized, don't remember the model)

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Do you have a co-op in your hometown? That might be the easiest and cheapest source of older, compatible parts.
    Surly Cross Check: fat tire roadie
    Surly LHT: Kid hauler
    On One Inbred: SS 26er

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    First the cracked parts are plastic and probally can be replaced quite cheaply, heck a good bike shop should have old plastic cable guides in a bin.

If you havnt rode the bike in a while then i would suggest a good tune and lube (eith bike shop or yourself) and new tires and tubes. I recondition many older bikes, and the biggest thing is lube, tune and often new tires make things almost like new.

Bill

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's a good bike, so worth fixing up. It's a good setup, and I'm going to assume you've either ridden it hard and know something about bikes, or it was given to you as a gift from someone who knows something about bikes. Either way, you have bike knowledge at your disposal. If you need more knowledge, Performance Bike's youtube page has answered almost every question I have about bikes.

I vote, try to fix it yourself. Metric hex keys, small phillips head screwdriver, pliers and a cresent wrench is all you need. New brake pads if needed, some citrus degreaser, papertowels, new bike lube, and time with your kids. 100% worth it.

Don't underestmate the quality of the cheap Bell brand cable sets from wally world. $5 to replace all the cables isn't bad, and as long as you don't leave it out in the rain, should last a long time.

Bent teeth on the front chainring, bend them back with pliers and go for a ride. Still have problems, bend them a bit more and grab a file. If you want to throw money at them for a replacement, let us know and we'll point in in the right direction.

If you want a new rear or front wheel, I came across this. Acceptable wheel at a decent price. Otherwise, probably just need to true the wheel and ride it.
    Dimension w/ Alex X2000 26" MTB Wheels > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop