mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New question here. 18" frame - odd-feeling position

Hi guys,

I just bought my first mountain bike in almost 10 years.
    The thing is I got it online, and one of my biker friends, roughly the same size as i am, said I should get a size M, L being reccommended as too big. I got it online, so I had no chance to test it before.

I'm 6"2, inseam 34. The bike is an M, but it feels pretty big. Seat tube is 18.5", stem lenght is 100mm.

My problem is that I feel I have to reach too much (further or lower, i can't tell), for the handlebars and that i leave too much weight on my hands. If i try to hold the handlebar with one hand, or no hands, i always have to "straighten" my back up a bit on the seat.

Do you think the problem is the size? Is this how a small bike should feel? Could i correct it with a low-rise handlebar? Or is it just a problem with setting the bike up? The seat is just about 1, maybe 1 and a half inches higher than the handlebar.

I have also attached a picture. Hope it helps.

Thanks,

B.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 18" frame - odd-feeling position-20130802_233018.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks Daves,

Do you think a rise handlebar could make a difference?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Go to: Fit Calculator - Competitive Cyclist

This is better than nothing, but only a pale shadow of the value of having a good fitting by a sharp bike shop. Sorry, but that bike will be mostly a lesson learned.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    bike look way too tiny on you, that bike looks like is made for 5'6"

Not say 29er is better than 26er, but a 29er would fit you better imo

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thank you all for taking the time to answer. The effective top tube lenght is 59cm, isn't that close to 20"?
    I talked at the shop and will return it for a bigger size. Because I can't test the bike (being bought online) would you recommend an L or an XL? (20" or 21")

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    No, Top tube and Frame size(seat tube) are different.
    your seat tube is 18.5" but the top tube is 59cm,
    say on a L, it could be 20" seat tube but the top tube could be 62cm
    But either way, I think a 29er will fit you better

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    You're right, I also believe a 29er would be more suitable and I will take it into consideration when buying my next bike. I just wanted to ride something now just to get a grip of cycling again. I can't trade it for a 29er. Reading the forums, I lean towards a 21" frame. It shouldn't be too big, would it?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    really depends on each bike, just pay more attention to what is the effective top tube length, my guess is stay within 63-65cm
    may be go to your LBS to try out some bikes in that size

long time listener
    Data point: I'm 6'0" and I recently got a Giant XTC (2012) in size L. You can see the geo of my frame here (it's got 29" wheels though):
    XtC 29er 1 (2012) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    so as we can see a 20" on a Giant XTC has 61.5cm actual top tube, that is close to about 63cm in effective top tube length. 63-65cm in effective top tube sounds about right OR 61.5-63.5~ in actual top tube length. Doesn't have to be that precise cuz the length of your stem, the offset of the seatpost and the position of the saddle also determine your reach(cockpit space)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    So I followed your advices and got the bike replaced for a size L - 20" one. I feel much better on this one, though I would enjoy a higher stem or low raiser bar, considering i ride mostly for confort, more than on trails.

Thanks for your replies!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    a shorter stem will put you more upright as well, by moving your hands back towards you, but not higher.