mtbr member
    May 2008

Is 142x12 becoming the standard?

I'm thinking about building up a wheel with a 135 eccentric hub. I plan to use the wheel on SS 29er hardtails (probably Niner bikes). Will 135 be around on most 29er hardtails or do you think everything will start switching to 142? I want to make sure I don't spend $500 on a wheel and then have it not be compatible with my next frame.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Quote Originally Posted by bank5 View Post
    I'm thinking about building up a wheel with a 135 eccentric hub. I plan to use the wheel on SS 29er hardtails (probably Niner bikes). Will 135 be around on most 29er hardtails or do you think everything will start switching to 142? I want to make sure I don't spend $500 on a wheel and then have it not be compatible with my next frame.
    An eccentric hub can not work with a 142/12 frame.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    An eccentric hub can not work with a 142/12 frame.
    Thanks for the reply. That's my dilemma. I don't want to build a wheel that isn't compatible with most frames a couple years down the road

Thanks for the reply. That's my dilemma. I don't want to build a wheel that isn't compatible with most frames a couple years down the road
    How often do you replace frames?

If you are running singlespeed, why not a SS specific frame?
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'll probably buy a new frame in 1-2 years. I'm not a fan of horizontal drop outs. I'm partial to Niner because of a few great customer service experiences with them. However, I'd be concerned about their EBB design and would prefer an eccentric hub. I'll probably just get the hub and hope they don't change everything to 142. The other option would be to get a ztr hub that converts to 142 and run a chain tensioner.

I'll probably buy a new frame in 1-2 years. I'm not a fan of horizontal drop outs. I'm partial to Niner because of a few great customer service experiences with them. However, I'd be concerned about their EBB design and would prefer an eccentric hub. I'll probably just get the hub and hope they don't change everything to 142. The other option would be to get a ztr hub that converts to 142 and run a chain tensioner.
    I would take an EBB or swing dropout (not slider) frame any day over an eccentric hub or a chain tensioner.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Alright, you're starting to convince me. I may go with a ZTR hub for the flexibility and look into a SS frame down the road.

I've heard that EBBs tend to creak a lot. My riding weight is 200lbs and I put a lot of torque on the wheels and often have creaking from my standard BB.

I'm not too familiar with a swing dropout, but I had a Karate Monkey with horizontal dropouts which always slipped on me no matter how tight I tightened the bolts. Is a swing a better set and what XC 29er frames have them?

Alright, you're starting to convince me. I may go with a ZTR hub for the flexibility and look into a SS frame down the road.

I've heard that EBBs tend to creak a lot. My riding weight is 200lbs and I put a lot of torque on the wheels and often have creaking from my standard BB.

I'm not too familiar with a swing dropout, but I had a Karate Monkey with horizontal dropouts which always slipped on me no matter how tight I tightened the bolts. Is a swing a better set and what XC 29er frames have them?
    I have never had a issue with a properly prepped EBB.

Salsas are the most available frames with swing dropouts.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Those swing dropouts on my salsa mukluk are pretty cool, IMHO it looks like one of the easiest and trouble free designs to go SS or IGH. I'm sure you could bolt on new dropouts to accommodate different axle sizes without much trouble, whenever they decide to make them.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I have never had a issue with a properly prepped EBB.
    OP, jsyn, I've never had much of an issue with my Bushnell EBB except making sure it is properly tight.

I was lazy at first and didn't use my torque wrench.

The Bushnells need a surprising amount of torque in the range of 6 to 8 ft pounds (on a tiny but strong screw).

Once properly torqued mine's been perfect.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    King hubs also can be converted from 135 to 142x12 FWIW
    The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you’ll crash.
    - Julie Furtado