mtbr member
    May 2011

140 mm fork for a 4" travel frame

I just purchased a used 4 inches full-sus frame (Intense Spider XVP). I also have Fox Float RLC fork w/ 140 mm travel from my other bike w/c I'm planning to put in the spider. I have gathered that the recommended Fork for the spider is 80-100. I understand that putting the 140mm fork in the spider will make the headtube angle more slacker and thus make climbing relatively harder. What I want to know is how does it affect the bike performance during descent in a bumpy road (I also enjoy freeride). I was told fork travel length should match with frame travel length but I never really understand how it affects the overall stability of the bike.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dtszero_cool View Post
    I was told fork travel length should match with frame travel length but I never really understand how it affects the overall stability of the bike.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated...
    140 is probably a bit overkill, but you are still closer to matching the frame travel than any hardtail with a suspension fork. I think you can reduce the travel of your fork internally to 130...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The 140 fork is supposedly for an All Mountain setup but somehow see this XC frame at good price so I just grab it. (I just can't get a good AM frame w/in budget). I may consider adjusting fork travel (if it can be done for Fox float). Again I understand the disadvantage of long fork during climb but I wanna know if the setup has benefits during descent (just like an AM/FR setup) or it just make the bike unstable.