mtbr member
    Jul 2009

1200 to spend in January. What to buy?

Hi all my time for an upgrade has come. I need a bike for around $1200 dollars that can handle anything at Alafia River State Park, Balm Boyette scrub preserve, and Santos. I would also expect it to be able to handle some drops. I will be purchasing in January because this is when I can get a discount on the outgoing 09 models. I was thinking a hardtail would be nice as I would be able to get quite good components in this price range. Any suggestions that will fit my needs? Thanks all.

mtbr member
    There are discounts all the time at most shops. Usually they do get a little steeper in January but by that time many of the bikes are gone and the ones that are marked way down are either XS or XXL. There are lots of great hardtails out there. I like the XTC Alliance with the carbon fiber stays and the Specialized Stumpjumper with a decent discount would be attractive. I mention those as Giant and Specialized along with Trek are the "big three". I would shop around now at the local bike shops and not only look at whats on the floor but ask how much an "order" bike would be. Often times the owner-manager will have a "pink" sheet from the distributor showing steep discounts that they will pass on. Be serious about buying though and they will be serious about talking price.