mtbr member
    Oct 2013

'12 Trek Fuel EX9 or '13 Cannondale Scalper Alloy 3 for a short female rider

I'm buying a bike for my GF and can't figure out which bike to get its between a 2012 15.5 Trek Fuel Ex9 which is 26 wheel and 2013 Small Cannondale Scalpel 3 (alloy) which is a 29er. Her inseam is 28" flat foot and shes about 53. We rented an extra small hardtail but she said it was too cramp and its time we buy a mtn bike. I like to hear back from folks who have similar inseam on which bike they would get and what they currently ride. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Can she test ride those bikes? If so, have her test ride both of them and see which she likes better.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    She's ridden and test rode the Fuel, but no one locally carrys a small Scalpel they all carry med or large. We have rented a Specizliaed and Trek mtn to test whether we like it before commiting. We're race road bikes and off road is a new thing for both of us.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    have you looked into any other brands? Such as Santa Cruz, Norco, Or Kona? There are alot of other brands that will have great bikes. My wife just got a 2014 Santa Cruz and it is a fantastic bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    No i have not looked at any other brands becuase i'm getting this through my sponsor bike shop at a discount. Those are the only two and i'm looking to bike one that is most fitting for her. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I have a friend who is about her height, and she used to ride a 29er. She felt like the bike was too big for her. I heard quite a few times that 29ers we initially not designed for smaller frames. But you will definitely want her to test ride before you buy. The Fuel is nice though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I went for the Dale. We looked at a Kona Muhola and was doable and the Dale has a lower standover height. I hope she likes it otherwise i just bought myself another mtn bike.