mtbr member
    Jul 2010

10' Giant XTC 29er 1 HT Creak - Warranty?

I have had to deal with creaking in my Giant XTC 29er 1 frame for the past 5-6 months or so. It initially started in the BB area and assuming it was just the BB, I ignored it. However, it made its way up the down tube into the headtube area. Now, whenever I touch the brakes or descend over obstacles or pull up on the front, there is an unbearable creak in the headtube. It has started to be really annoying on the trail to the put that 3-4 people behind me can hear it. I took it to the LBS and they have done everything possible to determine whether it was coming from the component combination. They have been unsuccessful in determining the cause and told me the Giant rep that came into the shop recently informed them that it wasnt from the frame (albeit he didnt do anything other than look at the bike).

I plan on speaking with the guys at the LBS today to figure out how a Giant rep would be able to tell that without actually working on the bike. They contacted the Giant warranty claims dept and they said they would issue an RA to have the bike shipped to them for them to look at.

My question is regarding the giant lifetime frame warranty. Giant Bicycle, Inc. ("Giant") warrants the frame and rigid fork of each new Giant brand bicycle and Giant brand frameset to be free from defects in material and workmanship for as long as the original purchaser owns the bicycle.

In my opinion, creaking that develops in the frame is a defect in material or worksmanship and should be covered under warranty considering the implications if that creak develops into a crack. I heard from one LBS back home in Michigan that had warrantied the exact bike twice for the exact issue. I just wanted to see if others agree that this would be considered a defect and advice on how to handle it.
    2010 Giant XTC 29er 1
    2009 Salsa Casseroll Fixed Gear
    2006 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    2005 Giant TCR 1

mtbr member

mine is cracked

2010 XTC1 - investigating persistant creak tonight I found a crack at the top tube to seat tube junction. It is cracked around the forward part of the weld and I did not find any cracks around the seat tube side of the weld. Taking it to the LBS tomorrow.
    Puke already..... we still have a long way to climb

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have only had good experience with Giant when it comes to warranty

mtbr member

Giant replaced

Got a 2012 XTC 1 replacement frame. Picking up the bike today.
    Great CS from Giant and Quality Bike Shop (Savannah)!
    Puke already..... we still have a long way to climb