mtbr member
    Apr 2011

'09 Kona Cinder Cone vs. '10 Norco Jubei 2 (29er)

Hello all,
    This is my first post.

My LBS has two hardtails I'm considering, both on sale for $799 (which is the top end of my $600-800 budget range):

1) '09 Kona Cinder Cone (marked down from $949)
    2) '10 Norco Jubei 2 (29er) (marked down from $1350)

I can post a list of components for each model if that helps, just let me know.

I am 30 y/o and a bigger guy (6'4 205 lbs). Most of my riding is X-country (dirt trails with some rocks, roots, loose sand, etc). This is my first 'real' bike; had been riding a dept. store special for two years. I don't know much about quality of one component brand vs. another. I've read some posts on 29ers vs. 'standard' bikes, but would still like some opinions from some experienced riders.

I was also considering an '09 Norco Katmandu ($429), but I'm going to be riding almost daily and want something a little better that will last, hence the models I mentioned above (Cinder Cone and Jubei 2).

Any input/suggestions on which to choose would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I imagine those two bikes will ride VERY differently from one another. I would ride them both and get whichever one you think feels right.

Having said that, Wife and I both ride Cinder Cones and LOVE them. I love the Kona geometry. Just feels "right" on the trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I also own a Kona Cindercone, and I've ridden it for about three or four years now. Good bike, and tough.

mtbr member
    The cindercone is a great bike , at that price point it really isn't too heavy and the component spec should keep you happy for some time.
    When you slide down the price point to the sub 500 buck mark . There are some serious differences in the parts spec , over all durability and weight involved.
    In my opionon saving the few hundred now , will cause you to spend that and some more within a year or two for sure .

I had a cindercone as my first "real " mtb , loved it . I have also owned norco product which has been great as well.

My friends who own 29ners love em , I have yet to ride one. But there have been some articles around in some magizines that suggest that any 29ner HT under the $1100 mark has some very heavy and flexy wheel sets ...... just what I read.

Good luck

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to take both bikes out for a spin to help me decide, although I'm kinda leaning toward the Cinder Cone at the moment.

I'm not sure if my LBS will allow me to try the bikes on a trail. So my only worry is that the bikes may behave completely differently in the parking lot as opposed to the trail.

I'm open to more opinions and will repost after I've tested both bikes.