mtbr member
    Aug 2007

08 stumpjumper fsr comp vs jamis dakar xam 1.0

i'm looking for a "do everything" bike around $2000. a local shop has the sj at $2100, another shop told me the jamis would be $1900 (didn't have any in stock, would have to order). i plan to ride trails in new england so plenty of climbing still but also plenty of descending and lots of fun rocks and roots both ways. after talking to the bike shops it seems like these are the type of bike i should be looking at (all mountain but still pretty good at XC riding). i'm leaning towards the stumpy mostly because it's already in stock, i can test it to make sure i like how it feels (didn't when i looked, the shop was about to close), and it just seems like a great bike. reviews for both bikes seem like they're both great bikes so i don't think i can really make a bad decision but what would you get?

ps - if anyone knows of any leftover 07s that fit my description in either upstate NY or CT let me know, i've checked rick's bike shop in queensbury, inside edge in glens falls, elevate cycles in saratoga and blue sky cycles also in saratoga and the only one in stock near my description was rick's having the stumpy (and i think a giant reign but the stumpy seemed to meet my needs better).

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Check Benidorm Bikes in Canton, CT ( I think)- they had some left over '07 stumpys a couple weeks ago

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    thanks. on their site they list 2 fsr comps, 1 medium 1 large, but they list them at $1850. not really enough of a deal to make the trip out that way. the felt virtue 3 they list at $1999 is more interesting but still doesn't really peak my interest quite enough

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    may want to drop them a call to see if they will do any better on the prices...