mtbr member
    Aug 2008

New question here. '08 Cannondale Prophet 3 or '07 GF SuperCaliber 29er???

I've got a dilemma...two good bikes to choose from that are slightly different. I need some advise...I'm even open to other comparable bikes...keep in mind that I'm trying to save money by buying what's in stock before the higher priced '09's reach the floor.

I've found both bikes in my size, new for about $1600+tax...I'm basically a Clydesdale (6'3" 245 lbs) that likes downhill and cross country trails...I live in the Phoenix, AZ area...I'm looking for an all-around mountain bike that can handle moderate to difficult trails...I enjoy catching mild air (about 3 foot).

2008 Cannondale Prophet 3:
    Fork - Fox 32 Vanilla R, 140mm
    Rear Shock - Fox Float R
    Rear Derailleur - SRAM X-9
    Front Derailleur - Shimano LX
    Shifters - SRAM X-7 Trigger
    Brakes - Avid Juicy 3 185/160mm - Juicy 3 Levers

2007 Gary Fisher SuperCaliber 29er:
    Fork RockShox Reba Race Air 29er, 80mm
    Rear Shock Manitou S-Type SRL, 80mm
    Rear Derailleur - SRAM X-9
    Front Derailleur - Shimano Deore LX
    Shifters - SRAM X-9 Trigger
    Brakes - Avid Juicy 5 160/160mm - Juicy 5 Levers

The White Jeff W
    I would suggest checking out the GF forums and read some of the threads about broken frames.
    No moss...

MTBR Member
    Yes 2007 was not the best year for Fisher frames but i'm not sure if that matters too much bc it is a new bike and fisher has excellent customer service. Anyways, both are very nice bikes and also kind of different. I would say if you're looking more all mountain, something that can take a little more abuse, go with the cdale. I don't think that you can beat that for $1600...thats a steal. Have you taken those bikes out for a test ride? You should get the bike that is most comfortable. Also where are you from? Depending on the type of terrain you might prefer one over the other. I tend to ride tight wooded singletrack so I prefer the 26" bike, but if you tend to ride more open trails maybe the 29'r would suit you better. Anyways, good luck with the bike search.