mtbr member
    Sep 2006

06' K2 Apache 5.0 or...07' Iron Horse Azure Sport??

I'm looking to buy one of these bikes from rscycle.com. What one would you choose? Would you choose a different bike for the price? K2 is $849 Iron Horse is $899. Seem like too good of a deal to pass up. Maybe a little help...........................thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Both bikes have their own pros and cons. My simple answer would be that they are so similar that you should just pick what looks best to you. The iron horse has slightly, slightly better brakes which are easily upgraded to bb7s when the time comes. It also comes with the dw link that is a proven suspension platform. The rear derraileur is better on the K2 and in my opinion the K2 has the better fork. The K2 is slightly lighter but comes with the universally hated soles. K2 rear suspension works well too. I like the red bike better plus its slightly lighter with a better rear derrailer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    this one can be very hard question but I agree that both bikes are a great deal.
    I had 06 K2 Lithium and I liked my bike so I tried to recommend K2.
    once I saw specifications on IH, I realized that it's not an easy decision to make.

frame : I guess IH DW-Link is well known system so I am toward to IH for the frame (I am not saying K2 has a bad frame though).
    rear shock: IH
    fork : K2
    drive train: I guess it's almost same because sram changed something on 07 model.
    Brake : I did not have any problem with sole brake and BB5 has a good reputation so this one also can be tied.
    weight : 28.6 vs 29.9 ( I think it's all about the fork weight difference 3.2lbs vs 5.12lbs)
    $849 vs $899......

If I were you I will probably get K2 if I have a tight budget but if I have a little flexible budget, I will get IH and upgrade the fork.

good luck with your decision

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by atcman42
    I'm looking to buy one of these bikes from rscycle.com. What one would you choose? Would you choose a different bike for the price? K2 is $849 Iron Horse is $899. Seem like too good of a deal to pass up. Maybe a little help...........................thanks
    I'm assuming you are buying online, so kinda hard to test ride.

Do you know the size of your current ride?

Standover and top tube length. The TT length on the K2 is a bit of a mystery from the site. Check the K2 forum and see if anyone can help there.

If one of the two is a closer match in fit - either with standover and top tube length to your current ride (if you like that fit) - that should be the deciding factor. If you don't like the fit - do you want something that feels more upright or something longer and lower - more of a stretched out and racy feel?

I went through 4 different duallies that 'almost' fit. It's an expensive thing to figure out that way... even when the bikes are not that expensive.

Either one looks like a pretty good deal for the price. Don't think you can lose on that end. Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Easy, buy the K2
    Rocky Mountain Element
    Orbea Lobular CX