Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

'04 Hollowpoint Expert v. Liquid 25 for XCish trailbike

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Moo Shoo Pork 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a trailbike leaning a bit more towards XC rather than freeride. My two primary choices right now are the '04 Ironhorse Hollowpoint Expert and '04 Trek Liquid 25. The Hollowpoint seems to have a slightly better spec, and it appears a bit more thought went into the frame and linkage design, while the Liquid carries the Trek reputation, and has recieved mostly favorable reviews from other owners.
I'm willing to sacrifice some small-bump sensitivity for efficiency (Can this be accomplished effectively on both by increasing SPV pressure?), and will be going for some extended rides, some with a decent amount of climbing. The trails around here (central/north jersey, PA) are littered with rocks, roots, and logs, and are just beating the crap out of my aging Schwinn hardtail. I get the feeling a traditional 3" travel XC bike wouldn't fare much better on the especially rocky trails i often ride. Is one of these bikes better than the other for rocky, XC trails? I'd consider other bikes as well, but i'd like it to have an adjustable stable platform feature on the rear shock (guess that rules out Fox) and $2000 is the most I can spend.

#2 · (Edited)
theRepublican said:
I'm looking for a trailbike leaning a bit more towards XC rather than freeride. My two primary choices right now are the '04 Ironhorse Hollowpoint Expert and '04 Trek Liquid 25. The Hollowpoint seems to have a slightly better spec, and it appears a bit more thought went into the frame and linkage design, while the Liquid carries the Trek reputation, and has recieved mostly favorable reviews from other owners.
I'm willing to sacrifice some small-bump sensitivity for efficiency (Can this be accomplished effectively on both by increasing SPV pressure?), and will be going for some extended rides, some with a decent amount of climbing. The trails around here (central/north jersey, PA) are littered with rocks, roots, and logs, and are just beating the crap out of my aging Schwinn hardtail. I get the feeling a traditional 3" travel XC bike wouldn't fare much better on the especially rocky trails i often ride. Is one of these bikes better than the other for rocky, XC trails? I'd consider other bikes as well, but i'd like it to have an adjustable stable platform feature on the rear shock (guess that rules out Fox) and $2000 is the most I can spend.
I don't know anything abou the Liquid, but I recently purchased a 2003 Hollowpoint Expert. I can tell you that it is night and day difference coming from a hardtail. I recenlty moved to SoCa and was getting beat up on my hardtail (even w/ suspension seat post). But, it isn't just the comfort of full-suspension. My expert doesn't bob at all when climbing. I always prefered spinning seated when climbing versus getting out of the saddle. And, I still get off the saddle for quick steep hills where I don't need to gear down. But most of the time I spin. Now, my Hollowpoint is a little heavier. But, even when climbing I feel like I get better traction because the rear wheel tracks with the soil. Now downhill competely rocks! As many have said, just point and shoot and that is where an all-mountain FS bike will go. And it is true. But I will say this. I am glad I started on a HT. I believe it has made me a better rider (keeping the HT too.) And finally, the Hollowpoint eats up BOTH small and big bumps. I haven't used the lock out because I don't feel any bob. But, I know that the suspension is working because you can see the travel. So in the end, I can highly recommend the Hollowpoint. Great bike to have fun on!

#3 ·
Can't offer a comparison to Liquid...

...but like Moo Shoo I have a Hollowpoint. I run it with a plain-as-day non-SPV Cane Creek AD-12 and the suspension operates efficiently to the point where I wonder why IH is specing platform type shocks on the current bikes -- the dw-link doesn't need that crutch. But that means the good news is you can crank back the SPV valving, maintain small bump sensitivity, and you'll still have an efficient climber.

#5 ·
That's a tough one

theRepublican said:
The Hollowpoint is definetly at the top of my list right now. My main concern is that no one around here carries it, so I would be buying it from supergo. I don't wanna get the thing only to find out it doesn't quite fit right.
I know what you are going thru. But, I ordered mine thru Supergo and it fit perfectly. But, I almost always take a small frame. I noticed that the cockpit is similar in length and feel to an Enduro. The reason I know this is because that was actually the first bike I was going got get until I got a great deal on the Expert. And, as you probably know, you can make changes to stem length/angle to get the perfect fit. Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.