mtbr member

02 Giant xtc se1 ????

First post on here.. This is a great forum!

I am looking at buying a newer bike (to me) sometime soon. Can't really afford a new one right now so I have been looking for something used. Does anybody out there have any experience with xtc se1 or any other info regarding the quality and reliability of the bike? The Seller says it is stock.. I have read a few reviews and they seem to address the frame quiet a bit.... Is there an issue with these older bikes frames and the aluminum being to thin??

Also any other ideas yall might have as to different used bikes and what to look for???. I've been looking mainly at hardtails because they seem to have the best bang for the buck.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I think the XTC SE would make an excellent bike providing its in pretty decent shape. In its time it was a top line xc race bike and probably wouldnt be all that far off the mark today. If it has disc brakes or wheels that can be converted to discs that would be a definite plus. If it doesnt have disc brakes and thats a priority of yours you might have to factor the cost of converting to disc. The RF Prodigy crank that comes with it probably isnt that great. I have one in my pile of stuff that I dont use. If you were to race that might need to be replaced. The bike probably sold for $1600 or more new so $500 or so would be decent. I dont think you have to worry about the frame breaking. A lot of complaints about frame breaking come from guys who race and ride a lot and that was the target buyer for this bike. If it fit I would probably buy it and quit looking with the only reservation being the brakes.

mtbr member
    Ok, thanks for your info.. I do plan to ride it a lot but nothing very harsh. Mainly around town and some trail riding. Is there a certain crank set that you would recommend looking at upgrading to if I decide to try and race it every once in a while? Your right on with the price. The seller is asking $550, and he says its in very good condition and that it has hydraulic disk on it already. I am not sure what kind, I have only communicated with him a few times. Again thanks for your input.

mtbr member
    The Prodigy was a little flimsy. The one I took off also had square tapers so definitely a little dated. Most common for an upgrade would be an XT or Race Face Deus. It more than likely has Hayes hydraulic brakes. It should have a Sid fork but since its a little old something else might be on it. Not a bad price but with a substitute fork you could knock the price down a few dollars. I think $450-$550.