mtbr member
    Aug 2007

00 Moab...Disc Brakes...?

I have a 00 Schwinn Moab...I like my bike well enough to make it more of an AM bike as opposed to weak sauce XC...can I install discs on it...? or too old...?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Check if your fork and frame have disc brake tabs/posts. You'll need disc brake compatible hubs as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    rock shox revelation already has the brake mounted...the rear wheel is now upgraded to azonic with 6 bolt hub...as for the chain stay mount i am confused...instead of my brake mounts being located on top the chain stay they are actually located on the parallel stay...similar to that of the Homegrowns...

I'm SUCH a square....
    If you don't have "brake mounts" located atop the seatstays, you don't have disc brake mounts. Likely, the threaded holes you're seeing are for racks.
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a Homegrown, probably 01 vintage, that has v-brakes. I just checked, you're right, there is a mount there on the chainstay rather than the seatstay. I think it may be some kind of post-mount for a disc brake caliper, because it's only on the left chainstay. Maybe someone will chime in and will know how you use it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndonchen
    I have a Homegrown, probably 01 vintage, that has v-brakes. I just checked, you're right, there is a mount there on the chainstay rather than the seatstay. I think it may be some kind of post-mount for a disc brake caliper, because it's only on the left chainstay. Maybe someone will chime in and will know how you use it.
    yes and i have seen the era of homegrowns with discs...they were some kind of direct mount that allowed one to actually re-position the caliper at the ten oclock position...they exist...! anybody...anything...looking for something like "rear disc mount adapter"...for those of you interested the holes on the chainstay are 21-23mm point on center...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    LYNDONCHEN...check out the link...found the resolution to your aging schwinns and mounting disc brakes...

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183609

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a special Hayes-specific mount. Are you going to buy the Hayes brake? What brake do you have on the front?

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lyndonchen
    Thanks for the link. Looks like a special Hayes-specific mount. Are you going to buy the Hayes brake? What brake do you have on the front?
    I have no interest in Hayes yet if you desire you can still purchase them...there is an adapter made that allows proprietary Hayes 22mm direct mount to be converted to an IS mount...I am going this route and finally putting a disc on my tail...

Adapter...AD-PMR...
    http://www.a2zcomponents.com/Adapter/Others.asp

Pic of Mounted Adapter...scroll all the way down...
    http://www.a2zcomponents.com/OLD-web/Adapter/adap01.htm

eBay member with some available...
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...pmr&category0=

It sounds pretty easy...but it also consists of "shimming" the caliper with locking washers and I believe using a 185mm disc in the because of measurement issues...CHECK IT OUT...!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I have a brand new, never mounted Hayes 22mm caliper. I'm sure we could work something out if you wanted it instead of going the caliper route.

Email is bike_lvr (at) yahoo dot com

--bike_lvr