Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

$1,200 Max. All Mtn. Need Advice

I'm shopping for a new All Mtn bike. Have a $1,200 max budget. Since I would prefer a Full Suspension AND the best bike possible, I'm considering buying it used on EBay.

Brands I'm considering are: Giant, Gary Fisher, Specialized & Trek

I'm 5'8" and weight 163lbs. So, I'm thinking a 17inch frame??

I would REALLY appreciate any advice on which is the best bike I could buy for this budget. What can I expect to find on Ebay. And...is Ebay a good decision? Or should I just stick to buying a Brand New good quality hardtail?

I'm open to suggestions about other brands. These are just the ones I know my friends use.

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Take a good look at this:
    http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1073913_-1___

My brother got this bike, and it is certainly good for the money.

Unless you know a lot about wrenching on bike, and are prepared to make some repairs, never buy a used bike without seeing it in person. Last used bike I bought sight unseen, ended up needing quite a few repairs, which the seller didn't even realize because he wasn't that familiar with bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    THe Mongoose is a good bike I just got a teocali super in size Med, im 5'8 with a 30in inseam. You might also want to look at the Sette Flite its in your pricerange. If you buy on ebay or online for that matter your going to buy blind so unless your really familure with the bikes geometry its a gamble if it will fit you correctly.

MTBR Member
    Check out the classified section right here on MTBR - some good deals to be had here.

mtbr member
    you will not find a better deal on a new bike than this: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...bike-7042.html

plus it has warranty

mtbr member
    Here is my biased suggestion:

Sette Flite (160mm travel)

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    you will not find a better deal on a new bike than this: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mo...bike-7042.html

plus it has warranty

This .................

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    the bmc! or used. id likely do used.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    Here is my biased suggestion:

Sette Flite (160mm travel)

+1 to your biased suggestion
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    I gotta admit though, The Teocali and the BMC are sweeeeet bikes.

They seem a bit more XC oriented. At least compared to the burly Flite.

mtbr member
    It might be too small for you...but bikeman.com has the Trailfox for around a $1000. Pretty smokin' deal if it fits. Those BMC frames are gorgeous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    It might be too small for you...but bikeman.com has the Trailfox for around a $1000. Pretty smokin' deal if it fits. Those BMC frames are gorgeous.
    i couldnt find that price, can you post a link?

the trail fox is a great deal, if i was buying a bike on a budget i'd get it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scoutcat
    i couldnt find that price, can you post a link?

the trail fox is a great deal, if i was buying a bike on a budget i'd get it.
    Here you go...

http://www.bikeman.com/FM3641.html?u...ign=GoogleBase

The more I think about it, that small frame Trailfox is an unbelievable deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Thanks...Down to 4 options (so far)

I sincerely thank u all for your advice. Especially Dictatorsaurus, thanks for your interest in helping.

I'm doing my research on all suggestions & I have a dilemma. I pretty much settled my mind on buying new instead of used (I'm not experienced to make a good decision blind). Now....everybody mentions the importance of the right fit and of testing the bike before buying. If so, my options are limited to my Local Bike Store, which, for my budget, comes down to:

- Trek Fuel EX 5
    - Giant Trance X4

However, the Sette Flite and the BMC Trailfox TF02 sound appealing although I had never heard those brands. But I can only get them online. Any advice between these 4 options would be great!

I'm not experienced enough in brands, components, geometry, in order to compare, so any description of why one is better than the other would be appreciated.

Thanks! Hope to be hitting the trails by next week!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Unless you have some friends that are really good with wrenching on bikes stick to you LBS. Wich is a good thing, find the one that has the most involvment in your local trails. Get what fits you, you will know it when you ride it...(sounds gay i know but true)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigrilloveloz
    I sincerely thank u all for your advice. Especially Dictatorsaurus, thanks for your interest in helping.

I'm doing my research on all suggestions & I have a dilemma. I pretty much settled my mind on buying new instead of used (I'm not experienced to make a good decision blind). Now....everybody mentions the importance of the right fit and of testing the bike before buying. If so, my options are limited to my Local Bike Store, which, for my budget, comes down to:

- Trek Fuel EX 5
    - Giant Trance X4

However, the Sette Flite and the BMC Trailfox TF02 sound appealing although I had never heard those brands. But I can only get them online. Any advice between these 4 options would be great!

I'm not experienced enough in brands, components, geometry, in order to compare, so any description of why one is better than the other would be appreciated.

How much is the shop asking for the Trek a& Giant?

Looking at their specs and online prices I have to say I'm not impressed.

The Mongoose, Sette and BMC are spec'd much better and seem even cheaper looking at online prices.

If you have to get a bike through a LBS, have you checked if any of the surrounding shops carry the Teocali? That way you can go check it out and see what you think.

If you're worried about doing your own work, working on a bike is not rocket science. Bikes are very simply machines that haven't changed much for a long time.
    It's actually very easy once you learn how to do it. Between the component manuals, mtbr, youtube and Sheldon Brown's website there's tons of info that can basically guide you through anything you need.

There are die hard LBS loyalists that justify the over inflated prices. I'm not one of them. Most of those people either work at shops or have worked at a shop at some point. So naturally they steer people that way.

During the 10 years I've been mountain biking, I've been to a LBS to get work done 4 time. First time when my chain broke within 2 days, second time when I went for a basic tune up, third time when my derailleur got bent, and forth time when I stripped the nipples on the spokes because I messed up. If you decide to buy a bike online call the retailer and found out what their return policy is. Many shops offer 30 day returns.

If you are completely clueless and have no friends and family that can help you with your choice and maintenance, by all means go through a shop. Just keep in mind not all shops are the same. Some are good and really care about getting you the right bike and some are only concerned about getting your money.

If you are even remotely mechanically inclined, just know that you can get a better bike for less money...I bought my Flite before riding it, and I'm happy that I did. You might have the same opinion or maybe not!

AZ
    banned

- Trek Fuel EX 5
    - Giant Trance X4

Of the two the Maestro suspension on the Giant is better IMHO .

Nuts
    You should get a little better bang for the buck with the Giant plus a better suspension IMHO as well.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    the bmc is a great bike. you can do the online fit calculator at the competitive cyclist website to ensure decent fit. for the money its the best bike in this thread. its 55% off, smokin deal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Yeah...Im getting to the same conclusion. Plus, I went to the store and they have the Giant Trance X3 (not 4) of last year (2009) for $1,500. And I think I could get them to go a little lower, maybe $1,400.

Now, just for a last analysis. I don't know too much about components, but with some quick research, here's the comparison between the '09 Giant Trance X3 & the 2010 Trek Fuel EX 5

Tires: GNT: Kenda Nevegal / TR: Bontrager XDX => Not much difference?

Rear Derailleur: GNT: Shimano SLX / TR: SRAM X.5 => Giant is better?

Front Derailleur: Both have the Shimano Deore

Fork: GNT: Fox 32 F120R / TR: Rockshock Tora SL w/Coil Spring => Giant wins?

Rear suspension: GNT: Fox Float R / TR: Fox Float RP-2 => Couldn't figure out but doesn't seem too much of a difference

Brakes: GNT: Hayes Stroker Ryde / TR: Avid Juicy 3 => Giant wins?

Etc....Am I right in my analysis or totally off?

AZ
    banned
    Yeah...Im getting to the same conclusion. Plus, I went to the store and they have the Giant Trance X3 (not 4) of last year (2009) for $1,500. And I think I could get them to go a little lower, maybe $1,400.

Now, just for a last analysis. I don't know too much about components, but with some quick research, here's the comparison between the '09 Giant Trance X3 & the 2010 Trek Fuel EX 5

Rear suspension: GNT: Fox Float R / TR: Fox Float RP-2 => Couldn't figure out but doesn't seem too much of a difference

Tires : XDX = tubeless ready

RD : Even

FD : Even

Fork : IMHO , Fox is a better piece

FWIW , I believe the BMC to be the best deal with the Giant as my second choise .

Good luck

Nuts
    I don't know anything about the BMC, but between the Giant and the Trek I would go with the Giant. The Giant also has a 15mm front axle and a better wheel set, also I don't know if it matters to you but the Giant doesn't have a lock out on the fork. As far as tires go I don't care for the XDX on the front, I do run one on the back and really like it though. Plus it looks like the Giant comes with some alright pedals. I believe you can't go wrong with the Maestro suspension on the Giant.
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member

for the things that really matter, the BMC is spec'd better - wheels, fork, cranks and brakes. in this case the BMC is the superior machine. competitive cyclist doesnt sell any crap whatsoever and you get top notch cust service.

FKA Malibu412

The BMC

The best spec'd bike in this price range I have seen. I'd give it a try.

The Teocali is close--I just can't get by the fact that the Mongoose name is associated with the dept store stuff.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Nuts
    The BMC does spec out nice but not at all for the retail price of $2995. Sure it's on sale but off of an artificially blown up retail. But like I said down below I really don't know anything about BMC but I do know the things that really matter is frame and fit. I bet you can't find to many people that have something bad to say about the Maestro suspension.
    And I love beer!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast