1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

~600 to spend, need some help

i was gunna post this in the "what bike to buy" section but i felt like id get more help here. I haven't rode a bike in a while, let alone on trails, but after watching a lot of vids and my friends wanting to get one, im pretty hooked on wanting to get started. so i have $600 to spend roughly. I like in chico and goto college here and its super flat in town, but about a 30min bike ride or 5min drive i can be on the dirt. theres nothing crazy out there but i want somin that can take a little abuse and even a trip up to Northstar at Tahoe, my friends have rented bikes and gone up there.

i was looking at treks mostly since thats the only brand i know of so far, and when i took a trip to the bike store they had a lot of 4300 and 6000. basically what should i get? i dunno what else to say to help you guys help me, so ask me anything i left out. thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I'd say a specialized rockhopper if there are dealers in your area (there ought to be), but the trek 6000 is a good bet too. It's just that the rockhopper has a better frame that can take a bit more abuse.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thats a pretty common situation. Be sure to check out Specialized. More specifically a Rockhopper or Hard rock. After comparing the trek 6000 I decided to pick up a rockhopper comp (no disc) for $600 a month ago.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i'll keep a lookout for that, ill go visit a few shops as soon as i get that $600, waiting on a check lol. i did a quick search and im guessing rockhopper, 4300 and 6000 are common beginning bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My rockhopper was actually my second bike (im a poor college kid), but yes those are the probably the most common choices for beginning bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Check out the IBEX website for their mt bikes. Good prices for full suspension bikes shipped to your door. I'm probably going to get one. Was looking at Haro bikes, but it's hard to find a decent shop that carries them in the san jose area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    nothing against ibex, but starting out it's really best to get a bike at a local shop to make sure it's fitted correctly. Fit is the most important thing in the world. If it doesn't fit, you'll hate it in no time flat.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    nothing against ibex, but starting out it's really best to get a bike at a local shop to make sure it's fitted correctly. Fit is the most important thing in the world. If it doesn't fit, you'll hate it in no time flat.
    well ill look at prices online first and deff goto a local shop to sit on em. depending on the price i could always get it online as long as i saw it in person at a shop first

edit: why is ibex so cheap? http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/IGN-1-Details.html full suspension with disc, $500?

College Boy
    IBEX is on line only.

I would say make sure you check out the rockhopper that what I got 2 months ago after want ing to get back into mtn biking after 2 years. I was dead set on getting a trek 4500 and the guy at the bike shop recomended I look at the rockhopper.

Well I took them both for a test ride and I like how the rockhopper felt. I just felt a lot more confortable on that frame than the trek.

The trek had little bit better componates and the rockhopper had a better frame and fork. I went with the rockhopper because I liked how I felt on it better.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Timeless
    IBEX is on line only.

I would say make sure you check out the rockhopper that what I got 2 months ago after want ing to get back into mtn biking after 2 years. I was dead set on getting a trek 4500 and the guy at the bike shop recomended I look at the rockhopper.

Well I took them both for a test ride and I like how the rockhopper felt. I just felt a lot more confortable on that frame than the trek.

The trek had little bit better componates and the rockhopper had a better frame and fork. I went with the rockhopper because I liked how I felt on it better.
    lol i just read your story you posted 4 weeks ago about that. that ibex looks pretty sick, the only problem is i wouldnt be able to test ride it, but full suspension for 500... something must be lacking in quality? but i wont jump on a decision yet, i plan on visiting this bike store back in sac that i went to, they had every trek it seemed and ill try to find a rockhopper to test and make up my mind after that.

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn408
    Check out the IBEX website for their mt bikes. Good prices for full suspension bikes shipped to your door. I'm probably going to get one. Was looking at Haro bikes, but it's hard to find a decent shop that carries them in the san jose area.
    Only do that if you know how to properly size a bike from numbers in a chart, otherwise, buy at a LBS first. Learn what tube lengths work for you, and buy it as your second bike.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Same boat...

I have been looking for my first good bike after buting my son a Specialized Hardrock last week. I keep reading that the Rockhopper is a great place to start.

Any advice on sizing? I am 5'8", 190lbs.

Thx

College Boy
    I would not worry about what we say about sizing help. the LBS is the best place for that and Specialized only sells in bike shops and you are only allowed to get their products from a bike shop (no mail ordering at all)

If I had to guess a M frame but go to the bike shop and find out what size will fit you the best.