1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    (insert witty remark)

Zinn book(new ed.)

So I bought the Zinn & the Art Of MTB maintenence 4.edition today, but according to Borders.com a new edition is set to hit stores in November. Anyone read this book(4th.ed..realesed 2005) and have ideas of should I have waited to get the new one? Also for those who have read both, what do you like Zinn or the BBB-2 by Park?

Valleyscum
    "I heard he puts his fold-up in a really uncomfortable place. What..like the back of a Volkswagen?"

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by valleyscum
    So I bought the Zinn & the Art Of MTB maintenence 4.edition today, but according to Borders.com a new edition is set to hit stores in November. Anyone read this book(4th.ed..realesed 2005) and have ideas of should I have waited to get the new one? Also for those who have read both, what do you like Zinn or the BBB-2 by Park?

Valleyscum
    I have the Park book and I like it. Though a lot of (not all) the information in the book is on parks site. The book is more in depth and is a great reference to have.

I'm waiting for the new Zen book to hit the shelves.