1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Your thoughts on this Bike please?

I know is FS but does anyone know if this is a good buy?

Thanks so much! As always your expertise is appreciated

**KHS Mountain Bike

Rogue Exterminator
    Am I correct in guessing that bike is about 10 years old?

If so, I personally wouldn't touch it.

Not saying you shouldn't, just saying I wouldn't.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    Am I correct in guessing that bike is about 10 years old?

If so, I personally wouldn't touch it.

Not saying you shouldn't, just saying I wouldn't.
    I would probably agree with you, that bike is probably atleast 10 years old. there are no disc brake bosses that I can see.

To be honest you should be able to find a newer bike for the same price. This bike is too old to upgrade, meaning that most newer parts aren't going to easily swap over and cost you alot more to make current. If you plan to just ride the bike and never put money into it then it might be ok but I think you could find better for the money.

Downsides (from just looking at the pics):

Rear shock looks like just a spring with no adjustments. Probably hard to find a decent replacement if you can find any with those mounts. Plus it looks like it doesn't have much travel, 2-3 inches?

Front fork: RST isn't known to be a great brand and its a tripple crown fork. I am guessing that it weighs a ton and doesn't perform well at all (by todays standards). I am guessing you can't find replacement parts if you need any (seals, springs, elstomers, etc).

V-brakes: V-brakes aren't good at all compared to new disc brakes. They can work well with a high quality set (XTR etc) but I can't tell what is on it. You can't upgrade to disc becuase the fork and frame (hard to tell on the frame from the pics) don't allow it. They don't have the mounting brackets to even try to put disc brakes on it.

Frame: out dated frame and if its really made out of cromo like the ad says then its going to probably be on the heavy side too. With no disc brake tabs it isn't worth much and not worth putting money into.

wheels: they look like low end/middle grade 2000's wheels. Probably not disc brake compatitble (no way to add rotor to) so they will only work on non-disc brake bikes. And if you bend or break them then you will have to find non-disc wheels to replace them with.

drive train: comes with STX which is on the lower side of shimano. It will work if its in good conidition but nothing to write home about.

Hope this helps. Basically what I am saying is the bike is too old and wasn't a high end model to begin with so not really worth trying to upgrade. If you just plan to use the bike as is and not trying to upgrade then it might be ok but I think you could find better for the same money.

T.W.O.
    I'd passed

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Definitely looks outdated, I'd pass also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'd pass on it

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    I'd passed
    Quote Originally Posted by dillwill View Post
    Definitely looks outdated, I'd pass also.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaboi View Post
    I'd pass on it
    I'd shred the gnar on that awesome machine and pass all y'all

I kid, I joke. It appears to be in great condition, however as others have said it is sub par by todays standards.

Shocks and brakes have improved since that KHS's day by an order of magnitude, and you can't drop the seat by very much the way the frame is configured.

mtbr member
    Great Stuff All - Thank you so much - I'm sticking w/my BD decision that I've been kicking around a bit more but better new than used and way out dated, obviously I'm new to the sport and the info you guys provide is awesome! Can't wait to get to your experience levels. Need to break a bone or two first tho - lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    pass