Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My new Giant XTC2. Picture was taken right after the first break in ride. Reflectors came off the next day. No upgrades yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport...Stock

29er Club Member
    Upgrades

The following post may ruffle your feathers. If it does… You may need to take yourself less seriously!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    no pics but i got a 99 hardrock comp after my brother decided to start riding again. then got a killer deal on a sette riddik fs with pretty nice components

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Glad to see other iron horses on here. Here is my Sports Authority special. A IH Quantum 2. All stock except Memory foam seat, pump and custom made frame bag. Not that the last two have anything to do with bike mods... This bike has held up great. Did some pretty good downhill the other day and its all good. Hoping to pick up a Specialized Enduro from my LBS if I can work the deal out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGOZZ
    Upgrades
    About your seat angle. Do you find you get sore wrists? Mine are sore just looking at it.
    Buster Bluth. Yiddish for "seeker of toilets"

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Upgraded to torsion handlebars, a race face evolve am stem, LX cranks and the RS Tora soloair fork with aluminum steerer. Dropped 2lbs with those additions over stock. If can get this bike to 30lbs ill be happy, but heck it doesnt ride to heavy as it is. Tacoed my front rim not to long ago and just laced up a twenty year old Araya RM-20 I had layin around, not an upgrade, but certainly not a downgrade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Well, sold my GF Wahoo (post #15 on pg 4) and picked up an '08 Diamondback Sortie 1 closeout. Pretty much upgrade all way round on components from my GF. Deore shifting and Dart 3 up front.

Extremely happy with performance of the bike for an entry level FS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Here is a few shots of my new 2010 Trek 8500 stock. I haven't even rode it yet, need to buy shoes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ^^^sick just sick!!!!!^^^^^
    Mine-2010 Trek 4300 Disk
    Wifes-2010 Trek 3700

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echodawg
    Here is a few shots of my new 2010 Trek 8500 stock. I haven't even rode it yet, need to buy shoes!
    Your skewers are pointing int he wrong direction. Other than that nice ride, not nearly entry level but you still want to show it off
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echodawg

Nice! Love the looks of it. Wouldn't call it entry level though.

Walmart Bike Member
    i thought this thread was for entry level mtb's lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggler2
    There is only one Bike Forum standard... quality is directly proportional to money spent.

TRANCER
    This is my 1st Mountain bike. Its a Giant Yukon FX. With Ergon Performance Grips. Specialized Lo Pro Mag Platform Pedals so far. Next up on the upgrade list is as follows

1. Sram Powerglide PG-850 8SP Cassette

2. Race Face X-Type Deus Crankset

3.Rockshox Recon 351 Coil U Turn FRK or Rock Shox Tora 302 Coil U-Turn Fork. If the right cash is available get Fox.

4. Sram X.9 Front & Rear Derailleur

5. Wippermann Connex chain

Last edited by Biohazard74; 09-13-2009 at 08:17 PM.
    Ride

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32
    After a few of the bikes i have seen on here i was scared to post mine lol
    Ride

Thread Killer
    i guess that depends on your definition of "entry level"

for one dude, it's the first mtb he's bought, regardless of price...for the next dude, it's any bike under $X00. for me, my entry-level mtb fit into both criteria
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

Walmart Bike Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87
    i guess that depends on your definition of "entry level"

for one dude, it's the first mtb he's bought, regardless of price...for the next dude, it's any bike under $X00. for me, my entry-level mtb fit into both criteria
    trek 8500 retails for 3 grand, thats like posting a ferrari in a thread called "Post your honda civic" lol regardless, cool bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggler2
    There is only one Bike Forum standard... quality is directly proportional to money spent.

cougarbait
    trek 8500 retails for 3 grand, thats like posting a ferrari in a thread called "Post your honda civic"
    haha, no kidding

at least he still has his pie plate on
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Thread Killer
    trek 8500 retails for 3 grand, thats like posting a ferrari in a thread called "Post your honda civic" lol regardless, cool bike
    have you ever seen that show on MTV, "my super sweet 16?"

some of those prissy-ass *****es get a better car for their birfdey than most people will ever afford in their lifetime. their first car IS a bmw m3, mercedes SLK, or porsche boxter...whereas the rest of the world, to use your example, will get a honda civic (maybe not a civic exactly, but some other little ol' car).
    I ride a 26'er with tubes and rim brakes.
    Yeah, I'm basically living in the stone age.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    After a few of the bikes i have seen on here i was scared to post mine lol
    exactly how I fell

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    here is my entry level bike:
    GIANT YUKON 07

upgraded saddle, rear der, brake levers, headset and fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What is that on your stem? And I take it that rock garden is at Theo?

Bushwacker

My entry Moto single pivot

XT/Deore mix with Rapidfire shifters were stock. I swapped in an upsized MC-3 shock which increased my rear travel from 1.5 to 3.5". I also upgraded to a Tora 318 U-turn coil w/remote, platforms and Easton seatpost. The bike plus parts off e-bay and I have around $780 in it which is all I'd want to spend at this level. I'm having a good time on it so far.

3_small.jpg

6_small.jpg

1_small.jpg

8_small.jpg

11_small.jpg
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    here is my 2008 diamondback coil-ex entry lever i have a total of $650 into it and cant wait to upgrade some more

i just put some Wellgo MG-1's on it, and a Rock shox Tora 318 U-turn with pop-loc and a Manitou Swinger SPV 4way rear shock will be here in 2 days, ill upload pics of that when i get it up

cougarbait
    wow you've dumped $650 into that thing?? you know you can't get nearly that much back right??
    otherwise, loving the color
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Lambdamaster
    wow you've dumped $650 into that thing?? you know you can't get nearly that much back right??
    otherwise, loving the color
    dont really plan on getting any of it back
    and i dunno if you think i spent 650 extra or what but i got 650 total including the bike, shipping, and taxes

i paid 280 for the bike itself
    then 240 for the fork
    40 for the pedals
    90 for the rear shock

cougarbait
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaman01
    dont really plan on getting any of it back
    and i dunno if you think i spent 650 extra or what but i got 650 total including the bike, shipping, and taxes

i paid 280 for the bike itself
    then 240 for the fork
    40 for the pedals
    90 for the rear shock
    Oh I see, I thought you heaped $650 on it in addition to the bike.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1
    What is that on your stem? And I take it that rock garden is at Theo?
    it is a steering damper. yes, it is the rock garden at theo. the 4th pic is from theo beach. i take it that you ride theo also?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kalbo
    it is a steering damper. yes, it is the rock garden at theo. the 4th pic is from theo beach. i take it that you ride theo also?
    Been there several times this year.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    i dont know if its entry level, but heres my 1st mtb. its a 2008 DB Response Sport. upgrades coming this winter.

" width="549">

Bushwacker
    here is my 2008 diamondback coil-ex entry lever i have a total of $650 into it and cant wait to upgrade some more

i just put some Wellgo MG-1's on it, and a Rock shox Tora 318 U-turn with pop-loc and a Manitou Swinger SPV 4way rear shock will be here in 2 days, ill upload pics of that when i get it up
    I like your ride man. Pretty funny, we're both running single pivots with the same fork. I went with an air shock with motion control for plushness and bob control. Is the Swinger you're getting a big hit type shock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Somewhat current picture of my bike:
    Specialized P.1 All Mountain

Upgrades:
    Rock Shox Argyle 318 front fork
    Bontrager Big Earl front wheel
    Crank Brothers Egg Beaters
    Upgrades not pictured:
    White Lizard Skins Moab grips
    WTB Weirwolf tires

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    I like your ride man. Pretty funny, we're both running single pivots with the same fork. I went with an air shock with motion control for plushness and bob control. Is the Swinger you're getting a big hit type shock?

and i went with spring because im easily able to adjust the travel the fork has so far i think it likes best about 85-90mm front travel

and for the swinger i dunnno i know it was a new older model spring type 4-way with spv valve

its this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260473521982

mtbr member
    This is a 2010 Trek 6000, LBS just finish it. Rode friday and saturday for the first time in years, well not too much just had an appendectomy 31/2 weeks ago lol. Still managed to log 22.5 miles this weekend on the road and little trail. Cat Eye wireless Strada and changed seat to Speacialized Phenom Gel Ti, only change to stock. Ass is sore as hell, have to build up some butt callus.

Last edited by shaggy47; 09-19-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Fixed pics

Bushwacker
    and i went with spring because im easily able to adjust the travel the fork has so far i think it likes best about 85-90mm front travel

and for the swinger i dunnno i know it was a new older model spring type 4-way with spv valve

its this one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260473521982

I went with the U-turn because I went with a bigger shock and I wanted to be able tweak my postiion a little bit. I've ended leaving it fully extended and crank it down for big climbs. I did drop in the firm spring, I have tjhe x-firm too but haven't used it yet.

You might want to ditch that poloc for a poploc adjust or old school tension shifter (cheaper). You'll get additional compression adjustment not available with the poploc.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkonian
    I went with the U-turn because I went with a bigger shock and I wanted to be able tweak my postiion a little bit. I've ended leaving it fully extended and crank it down for big climbs. I did drop in the firm spring, I have tjhe x-firm too but haven't used it yet.

You might want to ditch that poloc for a poploc adjust or old school tension shifter (cheaper). You'll get additional compression adjustment not available with the poploc.

yea i plan on getting the adjustable poploc lever just when i bought this fork thats what came with it

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just recently purchased an 09' Gary Fisher Mullet. I love this thing. I can put it through alot of heat. Just yesterday I was bombing some dirt jumps for the first time. I'm pretty new to that type of aerial assault so ended up taking a pretty huge spill. Now my shifting is very shoddy. I'm gonna take a look at it when I get home from class today and see if I can adjust the rear derailleur to get it smooth as it was before. I'm gonna try and get a couple pictures up here as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    i guess i found a thread where i'm at home. i love my entry level and it has grown with me and my needs over the years. it definatly gets some use! started out on the trails and moved to singletrack, now i'm commuting on it with a trail escape on the ride home at times. seems to fit all my needs and feel bad even thinking about upgrading.

'06 giant boulder (non se version - steel is real right?)
    stock handlebar (worth upgrading?)
    stock seatpost (worth upgrading?)
    stock tektro brakes
    kona clump stem
    odi lock grips (going to foam)
    stock spinner grind fork (is this worth upgrading, and what can be had for just a little cash?)
    wellgo 964 pedals
    stock giant saddle (looking to upgrade - sette vu or rev)
    stock wheels
    stock integrated shimano brake and shifters
    stock altus rear derailluer
    front derailluer removed and replaced with n gear guide
    cranks replaced with nashbar (175mm) with bashring and single 32 tooth ring
    new shimano 7 speed cassette (got rid of the megarange cassette)
    stock cheng shin knobbies (1.95) for the trail and michelin country rocks (1.75) for the road (looking to switch to kenda small blocks)

~30 lbs and dropping
    bike cost ~$230
    parts costs ~probably getting close ot as much

i'm ready to get a set of kenda small block 8s, a new seat, and some foam grips (trying to cut weight). any other ideas? are seatposts and handlebars really worth the money? i really don't know what else to do without spending more money then needed... or could be put towards a better bike.

opinions welcome. thanks!

cougarbait
    For weight reduction, the foam grips and seat will nab you less than a pound. I recommend bontrager XXX lite (18g), and sette lynx(200g). I would save the upgrade money and put it in the new bike fund.
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

mtbr member
    mjm:

If you must upgrade things right now, I would say only upgrade things that can be transferred to another bike easily (easily being a relative term that you could do it yourself).....understanding that if you ever get a nicer bike it may come with same or better components that were an upgrade for the boulder.

Keep the stock comps incase you want to sell the bike.

drivetrain I probably wouldnt change anything unless you broke it. That model frame is very entry level (my wife has the SE version).

IMO i wouldnt start upgrading heavily on giant hardtails until the XTC....seems like a solid platform. maybe, just maybe the yukon if you really like the bike.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by iamtylerdurden
    mjm:

If you must upgrade things right now, I would say only upgrade things that can be transferred to another bike easily (easily being a relative term that you could do it yourself).....understanding that if you ever get a nicer bike it may come with same or better components that were an upgrade for the boulder.

Keep the stock comps incase you want to sell the bike.

drivetrain I probably wouldnt change anything unless you broke it. That model frame is very entry level (my wife has the SE version).

IMO i wouldnt start upgrading heavily on giant hardtails until the XTC....seems like a solid platform. maybe, just maybe the yukon if you really like the bike.
    I have to agree. I bought a Giant Yukon FX brand new for close to what you paid for your bike plus the upgrades you want to make.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    so basicly go out and have a blast on it until it crumbles beneath me?!?!

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmi11er
    so basicly go out and have a blast on it until it crumbles beneath me?!?!
    I'd have to say yes. In the meantime. Put away any cash u have left over etc and in no time you will have a the cash to get a descent higher level bike. I did that and faster than i expected i had the cash for my bike. Which is not the best bike. But a great bike indeed and for room to upgrade until it is a better bike. Set a goal as to what you really want and you will have it. I started and said id have the bike in 6 months. While i rode my other bike. In less than a month while riding the other one i had the cash for the bike i wanted. Every little dollar u get u will want to save it to get that better bike. Trust me. It will happen faster than you believe. Good luck man
    Ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    bio, it's not that i can't afford it. it's more like i just don't want to get rid of a bike that works just fine.

\m/(^_^)\m/
    My 2009 Cannondale F9 CO2 (in Patriot Blue)

I have some CB Egg Beater pedals on order. That's the only real upgrade so far.

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by mjmi11er
    bio, it's not that i can't afford it. it's more like i just don't want to get rid of a bike that works just fine.
    It's not about someone els's idea of a good bike. If you're happy with your bike, that's all that matters. You'll know if and when you want something else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have the same bike as mjm, I have to ask what makes a platform (thats the frame right?) better than another to a rider if its a hardtail? Jw, thanks.

Sir Crash-a-lot
    Mikey Dawg...can I make a slight suggestion? Move the computer sensor to the front side of the shock. That way if the spokes were to ever catch it, it will go forward with the motion of the wheel and not get caught in the spokes. You just might save yourself a trip over the handlebars some day.
    "I crash well..."

~J~
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

... and if we just ...

Here's my first mt bike, just got it this past Saturday. I got a great deal on this 06 Giant Pistol

I haven't upgraded it nor taken anything off of it yet.

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by ~J~
    Here's my first mt bike, just got it this past Saturday. I got a great deal on this 06 Giant Pistol

I haven't upgraded it nor taken anything off of it yet.

Thats a great deal on a brand new 2006 that was msrp at $1100. You got a good bike at walmart bike price
    Ride

Page 8 of 70 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 58 ... LastLast