Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172
Results 3,551 to 3,569 of 3569
    mtbr member
    This is the bike I bought new in March 2000. I had never been on a mountain bike or even had been to a trail. I spent over $2K with accessories because I needed shoes, a hydration pack, etc. Plus I did upgrade the rear brake when it was new. It had a rim brake so I put a disc on it as it was disc ready and just a bolt-on process.

It hasn't really been upgraded so much but I did replace the swing arm because it cracked. I also recently put a new brake lever for front on, not pictured yet.

I still use the bike too (my main bike is a 2015 Scalpel 29 Carbon 3). But I just rode it just over a week ago.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    This is my "entry level" bike. It's entry level to me as it's my first mtb.
    Rode for the first time this past weekend.
    I've come to the conclusion that my legs are not in shape lol.

Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-bike.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rockhilltc View Post
    This is my "entry level" bike. It's entry level to me as it's my first mtb.
    Rode for the first time this past weekend.
    I've come to the conclusion that my legs are not in shape lol.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	157.3 KB 
ID:	1134889

I'm new as well. I come from hiking and backpacking and it's amazing how I'm hurting in other parts I never felt before 😁

mtbr member
    My entry level was a million years ago... starting off with an old '91 - 93' cannondale... can't remember. Looked similar to this...

Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-901410img4391.jpg

Was a die-hard cannondale fan until my first Trek HT 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I am brand new to trail riding. I just picked up my first real bike today.

My LBS had a 2014 Trek Stache8 , I went to pick up an entry level Rockhopper, one ride on the Trek and it was over.

I left it overnight so they can tune it and replace the rear tube.

I am looking forward to learning to ride proerly and having fun.

Danger Zone
    Quote Originally Posted by jhamiltonMSU View Post
    I am brand new to trail riding. I just picked up my first real bike today.

My LBS had a 2014 Trek Stache8 , I went to pick up an entry level Rockhopper, one ride on the Trek and it was over.

I left it overnight so they can tune it and replace the rear tube.

I am looking forward to learning to ride proerly and having fun.
    The Stache is an excellent bike, certainly far from entry level. A few of my buddies have them and they eat up the tough sections like nobody's business.

Co Springs
    My 91 Hard Rock was the first mtn bike I purchased and we migrated from the flat lands of Michigan to Colorado in early 1993. The rest of the family followed within 6 months.

You can't find the word 'vertical' in a Michigan dictionary but here in CO, I found my way to trails and learned the topography of Colorado Springs pretty fast. It's a steep curve for the inexperienced and brings on some pain or minor suffering while leaving it's mark in a way the summer sunshine tans flesh and makes some of those lessons a permanent imprint.

It still has it's place in the garage and the changes are minor. I can't really call them upgrades but it is somewhat personalized. The left shifter quit working years ago so it now has an integrated shifter / brake. I spotted an old Schwinn metal-flake vinyl seat in outgoing trash at a health-rehab center and noted the orange/red highlights in it so I grabbed it to replace the boring looking black saddle. I've had that rear rack on it a long time and 4 or five years ago, added a kid seat that clamps to it in a unique way that is very handy and fast. First grand kid at the time got to bounce around in the fresh air. His dad was 6 years old when I got the bike. I added nicer grips and fender to it giving it an urban look. I've had a number of knobbie type tries but this last time I went with a smooth roller like the city bikes use. Still rides nice and is my only rigid bike. Works well as a spare and will always have the kiddo option so it's valuable beyond sentiment. First picture is on a trail in an area here known as Section 16 over by Manitou Springs probably going back 4 years or so. The other pictures are along Cottonwood Creek from late January.

Within 8 or nine years, I bumped up to a modern bike of 2001, aluminum frame hard tail and now have a third 'modern' bike as of a bit over a month ago.

In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldFly View Post
    The Stache is an excellent bike, certainly far from entry level. A few of my buddies have them and they eat up the tough sections like nobody's business.
    I posted here as it is my "entry level" bike, I would consider this my first real bike.

I spent a lot of time researching which bike I wanted/could afford. I sold off all of my home brewing equipment.

I am glad that I was able to get a relatively new bike vs the 2008 Gt Sanction and Cannondale Prophet that I was looking at.

I look forward to riding and building technical skills, if I do not over analyze everything, it is just the nature of a engineer ​I suppose.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Sweet looking bikes, love the colors. Stay consistent y'all and those pains become almost enjoyable in the future. I tend to look for the pain as proof of work being done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    2016 Trek Marlin 7, picked it up in Feb 2017 off craigslist for $400 and started mountain biking for the first time in 10+yrs....already ready to upgrade to a Full suspension so I can carry more speed through the rough stuff....hopefully in a few months. I have already conquered all of my local black diamond trails @ the Pueblo Reservoir, and some DH trails in Colorado Springs.

Few mods I did myself....tires upgraded to Purgatory Grid Tubeless w/ stans, drilled out rivets for the 3rd ring to convert it to a 1x9 system, it's definitely gotten me stronger for sure....new grips, blew out the stock front brake last month and upgraded it to a Shimano M7000 SLX, rear is still the crappy tekro hydraulic brake, new flat pedals with bigger spikes for grip, old stock plastic ones were an issue when they got wet and my foot would slide around.

I am probably now $800 into this bike, I should have steeped up my game and gotten a enduro right off the bat, this bike isn't made for what I'm doing with it, lol. I've had the wheels trued twice, and they are now bent again from doing 2ft+ drops at speed and charging through rock gardens......huge money pit.

Before (stock):
    Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-tbike.jpg

After all the mods/adjustments:

Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-tbike2.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

Access Growler Charlie 27.5+

Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-access_growler.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Finally got a mountain bike ! The weather is rainy though.

Sent from my A1 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Had a 1999 Marin Rocky Ridge just for rides around a camp ground. A couple years ago I found some trails at Hueston Woods. Thought it was cool. I used to ride motor bikes all the time, but that's expensive. A friend of mine I used to ride with told me he started MTB and told me about Idlewild, KY. So I went shopping. Bought this on clearance for $650. GT Backwoods Expert.Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-gt-backwoods6.jpg

Big mistake. As soon as the rest of my family found out, I had to buy all of them new bikes too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-20170305_160115%5B1%5D.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Built a hardtail. Just waiting for a 1mm rotor shim so I can get the rear brake working/aligned properly. Got some spd pedals as well

Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-img_20170506_153618.jpg
    Full res photo: http://i.imgur.com/048TZbA.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Hi everyone, new to the fourm here. Here's my first mountain bike that's not from Walmart lol.

2015 Kona Cinder Cone
    Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-file_000.jpg

1x10 Conversion
    Raceface 32T Front Chainring
    Wolftooth Giantcog 42T rear chainring
    Wolftooth goatlink
    Deore Shadow + Derailleur
    WTB Beeline 2.2 Rear/Vigilante 2.3 Front
    WTB i23 Frequency tubeless wheels

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jaw2floor View Post
    Built a hardtail. Just waiting for a 1mm rotor shim so I can get the rear brake working/aligned properly. Got some spd pedals as well

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170506_153618.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	145.2 KB 
ID:	1135816
    Full res photo: http://i.imgur.com/048TZbA.jpg

nice build, looks solid!

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Love it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeneezy View Post
    I'm new as well. I come from hiking and backpacking and it's amazing how I'm hurting in other parts I never felt before 😁
    i get this at the beginning of each season. You'll love it over time.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Just picked up a giant fathom, my first bike in probably 10 years, been wanting to get into biking again and do some trail riding. Definitely more then I wanted To spend but I like to buy things right the first time and I don't forsee any pricey upgrades needed for this for quite some time. Can't wait to get some time on this thing love the color.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Page 72 of 72 FirstFirst ... 22626869707172

Members who have read this thread: 345