1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 7 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 107 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Forge Sawback 7xx initial run down

Ok, so I got most of the 7xx adjusted and took it for a quick ride down the street and back a few days ago. I was on my way out so I didn't have time to shift through all the gears but the bike felt really smooth and the suspension was extremely soft. I have it set for the most travel and rebound and it was like riding on a cushion of air when I was bouncing on the pedals. It's probably a little soft for off-road use so I need to set the sag and gears and then it'll be ready for some off-road tests. I'll keep you posted.

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Welp, here is my first mountain bike. 2006 Giant Pistol 1. It was a demo bike for one season, then I scooped it up. Other than some small scratches and dings, it's in great shape. Got it at a killer price. Should do me well for awhile until I decide to step up to something a bit better.

I was about the pull the trigger on a Forge 5xx, but I'm thankful that I found this. Way better components for an even better price. I love finding stuff used!!

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Crikey:

Congrats on the new bike! I was following your thread over on nasioc, believe it or not. Glad you found a good deal.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT0404
    Crikey:

Congrats on the new bike! I was following your thread over on nasioc, believe it or not. Glad you found a good deal.
    Haha, awesome! Always good to hear from NASIOC members!

Still trying to figure out the adjustments on the deraileurs.. sigh.

MTBR Member
    Congratulations on the ride, Holycrikey. You ended up with a nice bike there. Looks like you can find a good deal if you are willing to put the time in. Maybe try picking up a MTN bike maintenance book for the derailleurs(heard zinns' book is good). Either that or Youtube and parktool are very helpful.

Oct 2008
    I've gone almost 200km's now (over 120 miles) since I bought my bike a couple weeks ago and my shifting hasn't given me any problems yet. Since they said I'd have to bring it back within the first couple weeks or so for adjustment, I was planning on getting it to the bike shop for a free adjustment after break in but it doesn't seem to be happening. The snow will be flying pretty soon and I guess I won't be getting any adjustments done until at least spring by the looks of it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

my steed

I've had my 2008 Ibex Alpine 650 ( hardtail ) for ~ 1year now. *** It's been great and I've updgraded " just cuz" with the exception of the wheels I got yesterday because I bent my front on a jump ( my version of one anyway and I told my wife that " it just made no sense to only buy 1 wheel and brake levers ( broke 1 but bought 2 for same reason - see a pattern? )

Upgrades to date:
    * Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires
    * Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension seatpost( $75 from owner of LBS )
    * Oury grips
    * Mavic 717 rims w/ XT hubs
    * Shimano DX clipless pedals ( I think they're M646, maybe 647, something like that )
    * $5 stem I bought at a swap meet ( 90mm versus the 115mm that came with it )
    * Avid SpeedDial brake levers

***After purchase I read with dismay some of the 'issues' surrounding Ibex but I've been happy. I simply don't have the $$ to make a statement with my purchases - just bought what I thought was as much bike as I could get for my limited dollars. If I had the money to buy LBS then I wouldn't be talking about my entry level bike. Ha

This mountain biking thing surely is a passion/obsession/just plain fun thing. I'm not much of a mechanical, tinkerer type but I could be out in my garage or on these boards or looking at magazines all day.

Peace and happy trails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I roll on a Warrior Disc. Here is what I did.
    1. Shimano Deore LX long cage rear derailer.
    2. Shimano Deore LX front derailer.
    3. Shimano Deore LX trigger shifters.
    4. Avid TI adjustable brake levers.
    5. FSA Carbon Kforce riser bars.
    6. FSA Carbon SLK seatpost.
    7. Q2 Carbon Stem.
    8. Cane Creek S2 headset.
    9. Rockshox Tora 302SL 100mm forks.
    10. Sram Chain and 9 speed Cassette.
    11. WTB Speed V Comp Saddle.
    12. Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires.
    Most of the parts were purchased on E@ay and the rest from various online retailers.

mtbr member
    I just received my Motobecane Fantom Trail today

No upgrades yet, but I'll be getting a computer and new peddles tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by musky
    Magura Menja fokr
    Avid BB7's front and rear
    Avid Speed Dial Ti levers
    Wellgo B37's
    Sram X-7 shifters
    Funn Fatboy bar
    How is that entry level?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here is my 2006 Marin Attack Trail
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM
    Here is my 2006 Marin Attack Trail
    Nice Marin.

I have GOT to stop looking at FS bikes! HAHAHA! I think for my 1 year mark I'll drop around 3 grand on something fancy.

-Bemis

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Double post.

Fall Down...Go Boom
    Sep 2008

Got her finished about 2 weeks ago. Started with an upgraded Schwinn that a friend built me to give this a try. Loved it right from the start and began building this bike right away. I've been riding a little less than 3 months now.

Blind biker
    I have a RMB Fusion in 15in. Its a pretty good comuter as i havent hardly used the 3 chainring yet and can still average 13mph on a 30mile ride with a lot of hills. I dont have pictures of it yet as i have been to busy riding it. I just got it 4 days ago and have rode it for 30miles each day off and on road and havent noticed anything wrong with it yet. I'm I the only one on here with a RMB fusion? All the RMB i see are FS not XC.

mtbr member
    look at the bottom of page 1. I have a Rocky Mountain Fusion.

Also just because a bike is FS doesn't mean it isn't XC.

Blind biker
    Quote Originally Posted by dana109
    look at the bottom of page 1. I have a Rocky Mountain Fusion.

Also just because a bike is FS doesn't mean it isn't XC.
    Have you had any problems with the components on it? I heard that the BB is worthless after a month or two. I was wondering what kind of riding will it stand up to
    Last edited by harry2110; 10-26-2008 at 04:08 PM.

mtbr member
    I've ridden it around 3-5 days a week since June. I ride a lot of rooty single track. It isn't a downhill bike. But for XC it is a solid bike. I haven't had any problems except with the wheels coming out of true. But the shop took care of that with a tune up.

Blind biker
    Thanks for answers i just wanted to find out before something went wrong and I didnt have a part.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here's my 2006 Marin Northside Trail I just recently bought from a LBS for $430 out the door. It was new old stock that they had, never ridden. It's completely stock for now but as shown in the picture, I have a M961 XTR front derailer, Race Face Evolve crankset and XTR brake cables. As of this morning, I just ordered an XT rear derailer. Piece by piece i'm going to can the stock components.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Here is my 06 Marin Bobcat Trail all stock except the seat. I upgraded to a WTB Power V seat.

mtbr member
    Here's my '08 Gary Fisher Tassajara. This was my first new bike after my last bike was stolen more than 10 years ago. I thought about getting a FS but didn't want to drop too much $ and figured I'd get a decent hardtail instead. Cost $899

Upgrades so far:

WTB Pure V Saddle (stock Bontrager was a torture device)
    WTB Velociraptor Tires (stock Bontrager Jones just didn't cut it in the loose stuff around here)
    XT rear derailleur (busted the original LX)
    Ergon Grips (help with the numbness)
    Red Salsa Skewers (Mainly because the stock Shimanos were a pain, they didn't clear the shock on the lever side. Plus these look purty)
    Crank Brothers Mallet C Pedals (gotta go clipless)
    Rockshox Reba Team (This was a warranty replacement after the stock Toras blew out. I'm certainly not complaining)
    Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Just made a purchase today. 2008 Giant Rincon

[IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

FNG
    Aug 2008
    I love the look of that rincon. You can't go wrong with OD green and flat black

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I know. It's part of the reason I liked it. I saw the 2009 model and was like no way. It looks like every other bike and the components were the same. I love the design of the frame and color is like icing on the cake I cant wait to get it dirty.

Page 7 of 134 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 57 107 ... LastLast