Page 55 of 70 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast
Results 2,701 to 2,750 of 3499
    Making due...
    ^^ Wow, heck of an upgrade there! That HiFi is one sweet looking setup.
    1991 Trek 830 Antelope (Commuter/Street/Paved Trail Duty)
    2006 Raleigh Mojave "Lager" Hardtail (XC Budget Build)

Making due...
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal Clyde View Post
    I got myself a 2012 Giant Revel 1 at the Giant dealer closest to me and I love it. I made some essential upgrades so I have better quality parts. I have the road tires on since that is what I ride most at the moment. I hope to get in better shape and do some trails and XC which I'll put the knobs back on for.
    Before I bought my "Craigslist special" Raleigh I hit up a local Giant dealer to try out some 29ers and a Revel.

I rode some Talon 29ers and didn't like the feel of the big wheels so I headed for the Revel's. I really liked the setup of the Revel 1 I rode, but preferred the component set on the 0 model, which (apparently) was/is in a nationwide shortage.

TL;DR - I really like the geometry of the Revel series (and didn't care for the 29er Talons).
    1991 Trek 830 Antelope (Commuter/Street/Paved Trail Duty)
    2006 Raleigh Mojave "Lager" Hardtail (XC Budget Build)

mtbr member
    I have a 2010 Norco Shore One with White Rockshox Totem Coil, Avid Juicy 7 Brake with 203mm rotor, Shimano Zee Crank, MRP G2 SL Chain Guide. Next upgrade will be Shimano Zee Shifter and rear derailleur.

banned
    Sep 2012
    I've bene enjoying riding so much since I bought my used Klein several weeks ago that I picked up a used frame and built it up over the last weekend.

I'm not sure if this is really "entry level" any more but here goes.

Parts Breakdown:
    2007 S-Works SJ FSR Carbon Frame
    Mavic CrossMax ST disc wheels
    Avid Juicy Ultimate Carbon Disc Brakes (160mm - it feels under-braked, probably gonna upsize the discs)
    Maxxis Ignitor UST tires (2.25"fr/2.1"rr)
    Race Face Evolve 3x10 crankset
    Answer Protaper 720 Carbon AM handlebar
    Ritchey adjustable stem
    Shimano XTR FD
    SRAM X.0 Type 2 10-spd RD
    SRAM X.9 3x10 shifters
    SRAM PG 1070 Cassette
    Fox TALAS 130 fork
    Fox Float RL2 Propedal rear shock
    KMC TiN (Titanium nitride - gold) 10-spd Chain
    Giant Venture 1 saddle (super cushy for my butt)
    Ergon GP1 grips

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by DuManchu View Post
    ^^ Wow, heck of an upgrade there! That HiFi is one sweet looking setup.
    Thanks, it made a big difference on the trails too.

Carbon or Commie?
    Raleigh Talus 4.0
    Added some decent pedals after I broke the plastic ones.
    And a Fox Float 32 RLC. HUGE difference.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    '11 Giant Talon 29er 2...just got some Forte Converts as of now... And got rid of the reflectors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-uploadfromtaptalk1350621523035.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    2013 Giant Revel 1, only had a it a week and I love it! Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350637753.821819.jpg
    Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1350637778.943705.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by fujiblue1 View Post
    Easton Haven: Wheels, Stem, Bars, Carbon seat post
    Avid Elixer 7 Brakes
    Nukeproof Flat Pedals
    Specialized Purgatory 2.2 / Captain 2.0 tubeless
    Manitou Tower Pro 120mm
    Sette white grips
    wow, amazing setup~ looking to find excuses for more haven upgrades on mine~

enjoying my 3mths old 2012 kona tanuki all stock except wheels & pedals~
    Attached Images Attached Images  

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 88kona88 View Post
    wow, amazing setup~ looking to find excuses for more haven upgrades on mine~

enjoying my 3mths old 2012 kona tanuki all stock except wheels & pedals~
    Nice bike.... where did you take that pic? Kranji area? Bukit Timah Nature Reserve?

-S

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post
    Nice bike.... where did you take that pic? Kranji area? Bukit Timah Nature Reserve?

-S
    thanks, its along the end of chestnut ave~

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 88kona88 View Post
    thanks, its along the end of chestnut ave~
    Dude... it's been so long since I left Singapore, I can't even remember where that is. LOL

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a trek fuel 80 2003 model in mint condition, about to pull it down from the attic and start cycling again, how does this bike compare with what is out there at the moment?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by MickOR View Post
    I have a trek fuel 80 2003 model in mint condition, about to pull it down from the attic and start cycling again, how does this bike compare with what is out there at the moment?
    I'm no bike expert, but from the link below, it looks to be still competitive with many of the bikes today.

Trek Fuel 80

mtbr member
    I think I am almost done with the upgrades.....I think
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    All stock except for kmc x10sl chain and some decent flats.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    nice bikes

mtbr member
    This is my Trek Cobia. I have put on new Shimano clipless pedals changed the seat to a WTB Pure V saddle, swapped out the stem for a 80mm, changed the handlebars to some Easton EA70 Monkeybars, changed the grips to ODI Rogues, and went tubeless with some Kenda Slant Sixes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I got a 2011 GT avalanche 1.0 last fall, then injured my knee and it felt a little too big after surgery. I was given a 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR frame and swapped everything over. I don't have pics, but I did change it over to a BBG Bashwich 1x9 since it kept dropping the chain down hills. I only got to ride it once since I put it together last week, but it feels so much better than the GT.

Here is a before and after pic.

Before

After

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cboyd1974 View Post
    I got a 2011 GT avalanche 1.0 last fall, then injured my knee and it felt a little too big after surgery. I was given a 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR frame and swapped everything over. I don't have pics, but I did change it over to a BBG Bashwich 1x9 since it kept dropping the chain down hills. I only got to ride it once since I put it together last week, but it feels so much better than the GT.

Here is a before and after pic.

Before

After
    Nice bike!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have a question, i just dug out a k2 attack 1.0 and 2.0 bike out of the garage. Haven't used them in a while, I know they are old lol. What's the difference between the two tho?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Im not exactly sure that some of these last bikes posted fit into the "Entry level" category. If they do than my "entry level" bikes are CRAP! lolol

The 2009 specialized i got for $320 and the 2012 Revel 1 i got for $220, both local from craigslist. No upgrades on any yet aside for grips. 1st upgrade will prob be the suntour fork on the revel and then brakes.

see me rollin, they hatin
    this is one of my favorite threads. i like looking at old simple bikes.
    fap

mtbr member
    Where do you people find these Craigslist gems???? My craigslist in Florida sucks!!!

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    Where do you people find these Craigslist gems???? My craigslist in Florida sucks!!!
    I think it is all in the search. I've picked up stuff like a new $2500 warming drawer for $300 and a $4500 double SS oven for $500 (for our new house which was missing appliances).

Found my old Klein off Craigslist too. My SJ (below) was completely put together with frame/parts/wheels/etc all coming off ebay.

-S

Master Shredder
    It's gotta be 10000x better than Milwaukee, WI.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    [QUOTE=JFaur;9811700]Im not exactly sure that some of these last bikes posted fit into the "Entry level" category. If they do than my "entry level" bikes are CRAP! lolol

The 2009 specialized i got for $320 and the 2012 Revel 1 i got for $220, both local from craigslist. No upgrades on any yet aside for grips. 1st upgrade will prob be the suntour fork on the revel and then brakes.

Great deals!

Master Shredder
    Final iteration before the end of the season, added a Tioga D-Spyder saddle (And better pic of Wellgo B103 pedals):

Edit: woah this forum needs an auto resize feature like they have on bodybuilding.com

US Army Vet-Airborne 11B
    Holy HUGE pics,Batman!

(nice bike in them though )
    Last edited by longhaultrucker; 11-02-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    mk.ultra, how do you like those pedals?

Master Shredder
    mk.ultra, how do you like those pedals?
    They're awesome and relatively light at about 390 g/pair. super cheap too

mtbr member
    Where did you find them?

banned
    Jan 2012
    mk.ultra, Hows the Tioga saddle? If its comfortable I'll buy one for my Z29. [Dealextreme has them for dirt cheap IIRC]
    Last edited by Wasmachineman NL; 11-02-2012 at 11:23 AM.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal Clyde View Post
    If I should stay with a suspension fork, what is a good one for a rider of about 300lbs?
    Manitou's are good clydesdale forks, look in the shocks and suspension forum for info.

Master Shredder
    Where did you find them?
    pricepoint.com was the only place I could find them

Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    mk.ultra, Hows the Tioga saddle? If its comfortable I'll buy one for my Z29. [Dealextreme has them for dirt cheap IIRC]
    it's less comfortable than my stock WTB Pure V Sport, but it's bearable. If you go on 1 hour+ rides idk if I could recommend it. dealextreme has some for $76 but i got mine on ebay for $45 shipped. I never go on long rides so its fine for me, and 200 g lighter than my stock seat.

mtbr member
    Those Tioga saddle's are sweet

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jwor620 View Post
    Newbie here, I started out making the same mistake many do. I picked up a cheapie box store bike. Road it twice and realized it was going to be a widow maker. I found a Gary Fisher HiFi Plus at the local bike shop. Fit was great, the service was excellent and the first two rides...... outstanding. I see now why everyone says get the "Better quality bikes used from your LBS". You are absolutely right. It was day and night difference. Shamefully admitting this since, I have ridden a road bike for years. I did buy a box store bike to start there as well, however that proved to be a good experience. I got a ton of miles of road riding out of that bike with no trouble. When I went to a Trek road bike, it was amazing the difference in the ride quality. Short version is, I should have known better than to take a cheapie on the trails.
    I like this bike. Would this HiFi be a big upgrade from a Trek 3500. I sold it so I can buy an upgrade. I felt the 3500 was gonna break some day.

Very green

This is my rig

This is mine, a 2009 Fuji Nevada 4.0. Upgrades so far are Kenda Nevegals, Oury grips, Bontrager saddle (got it with some massive comfort bike seat), all new cables, shorter/taller stem, and an RST Gila T9 100mm travel fork coming in this week to replace the Suntour 50mm travel on it now.

I got the Fuji for $160 at a pawn shop after talking them down some. I was looking for a Specialized Hardrock or similar, but couldn't find one under $250 and they still needed stuff. I like my Fuji, though; it's different, but not in a bad way, and it withstood my first jump yesterday - a whopping 1.5- or 2-foot berm, lol - and then my fifth and sixth jumps as I went back and did it again and again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-p1000788.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My Quake 7.3 with a couple upgrades.

mtbr member
    Very nice

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JFaur View Post
    I looked at a Revel 1 as well but the owner wanted more money. $220 seems fair since that's a pretty nice bike to start with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

2009 Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc

I recently upgraded the saddle (WTB Pure V), pedals (Wellgo MG-1), Kenda Nevegal 2.1 (rear) and 2.35 (front Stick-E), brakes (Avid BB-7) and added an Avid 185mm front rotor. Debating on swapping out the fork... the stock one has taken a nice beating over the last 3 yrs and never performed well in the first place!

Any suggestions on a 26", 100mm travel G2 geometry fork that would be a nice upgrade? I've searched online everywhere and I'm stumped! There are tons of G2s for 29ers... none for 26ers it seems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-2009-gf-wahoo-disc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ...and my Venustus is in the background checking out the GF!!! Haha... just noticed this.

mtbr member
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Trail DS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-20121017_211905.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

... and if we just ...

So I picked up this second hand Trek Bruiser One a few weeks ago for a very decent cheap price. My Kona got stolen a while back, so needed to get some wheels again.

2002 model I think - pretty rugged bike. Rigid forks are fun

Since I took this pic I've given it new grips, 8-speed rear cassette, serviced the rear hub and some general TLC. It rides well so no complaints at all!

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by Anrkist View Post
    This is mine, a 2009 Fuji Nevada 4.0. Upgrades so far are Kenda Nevegals, Oury grips, Bontrager saddle (got it with some massive comfort bike seat), all new cables, shorter/taller stem, and an RST Gila T9 100mm travel fork coming in this week to replace the Suntour 50mm travel on it now.

I got the Fuji for $160 at a pawn shop after talking them down some. I was looking for a Specialized Hardrock or similar, but couldn't find one under $250 and they still needed stuff. I like my Fuji, though; it's different, but not in a bad way, and it withstood my first jump yesterday - a whopping 1.5- or 2-foot berm, lol - and then my fifth and sixth jumps as I went back and did it again and again.
    Hey there, it may be too late, but you should ask and make sure that you can use a 100mm fork to replace a 50mm (ask the suspension forum) i only say that because i was told going 20mm higher is ok, but anything above that can change the geometry and cause stress on the headtube, possibly snapping it. i dont know a ton on the subject, but other people do. They may suggest you using an 80mm fork. just lettin ya know!
    fap

mtbr member
    I like that bruiser a lot nice bike

lets ride

my "entry" level bike

Picked up my 2010 Scott Scale 29er off CG for a steal at $600 with no defects, came with egg beaters but I took them off and replaced them with some grippy specialized platform pedals. My shins look horrible, but i like being able to dump the bike when I have to. What do you think? Already has 180 Avid elixir 5 up front, 160 in the back. Rock Shox Reba SL with remote lock. this bike is so light and nimble that I don't think I'll have to buy a new bike until this one breaks in half!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Very green
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    Hey there, it may be too late, but you should ask and make sure that you can use a 100mm fork to replace a 50mm (ask the suspension forum) i only say that because i was told going 20mm higher is ok, but anything above that can change the geometry and cause stress on the headtube, possibly snapping it. i dont know a ton on the subject, but other people do. They may suggest you using an 80mm fork. just lettin ya know!
    Thanks for the tip But Fuji also put in 80mm forks on the same frame, so 100mm is not a stretch, I think.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmatt480 View Post
    Picked up my 2010 Scott Scale 29er off CG for a steal at $600 with no defects, came with egg beaters but I took them off and replaced them with some grippy specialized platform pedals. My shins look horrible, but i like being able to dump the bike when I have to. What do you think? Already has 180 Avid elixir 5 up front, 160 in the back. Rock Shox Reba SL with remote lock. this bike is so light and nimble that I don't think I'll have to buy a new bike until this one breaks in half!!!
    Steal and a half! Nice bike especially for $600!

What's CG?