1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 54 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 104 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 3327
    No longer a hardtailkid.
    Holy crap angle your seat down. That looks painful. Needs to be parallel with the ground, yo.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a felt q520 and love it. Even though I am a Newbie, I put it through hell! I just added clipless pedals. I will upgrade as things break. Just Ride it like you stole it...everything else will come into place. I use the philosophy that It is cheaper for me to lose weight then to lighten the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

2011 Jamis Exile 1

Stock. Only upgrade so far is a Cateye Enduro 8 computer. Really enjoying riding this bike and getting back into shape. It beats the heck out of the too small Mongoose I started with last fall. The 29" tires roll really well and the stock components work fine for my uses. Great bike, very happy with it so far. My wife and kids got for me for fathers day so haven't had it very long. Riding some everyday weather permitting and I can't wait to get on it each day. Having a ball with it and I just turned 53.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-2011-jamis-exile-1-.jpg  

Last edited by Southgagnatknocker; 07-06-2011 at 08:37 PM. Reason: attempting to add pic

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Southgagnatknocker View Post
    Stock. Only upgrade so far is a Cateye Enduro 8 computer. Really enjoying riding this bike and getting back into shape. It beats the heck out of the too small Mongoose I started with last fall. The 29" tires roll really well and the stock components work fine for my uses. Great bike, very happy with it so far. My wife and kids got for me for fathers day so haven't had it very long. Riding some everyday weather permitting and I can't wait to get on it each day. Having a ball with it and I just turned 53.
    Nice bike your family did a good job picking out a gift

mtbr member
    I was wondering why my lower back hurt so much! It felt like I was down at the county cell block and a cell mate was abusing me!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    first mtb. 2011 cannondale trail 5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-biking-004.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    ^^^ Hmm. How are you able to post pics.. I have to wait till after my 10th post.

2010 Cdale F5

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    2011 CannondaleSL3

Not sure why my phone took the pic in sepia but here it is, almost identical to the F5 above. I'll try to get some more (normal) pics

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-2011-07-01_19-13-49_585.jpg  

Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-2011-07-01_19-14-02_703.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Here's my new one, just got it (convinently I found a somewhat matching helmet too!)
    2011 Trek 4500 Disc

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ImagePree View Post
    ^^^ Hmm. How are you able to post pics.. I have to wait till after my 10th post.

2010 Cdale F5
    no idea. nice bike btw.

Quote Originally Posted by 007E View Post
    2011 CannondaleSL3

Not sure why my phone took the pic in sepia but here it is, almost identical to the F5 above. I'll try to get some more (normal) pics

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    nice, i wanted the sl3 but had to settle with trail 5 due to my lack of funds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie food View Post
    no idea. nice bike btw.

nice, i wanted the sl3 but had to settle with trail 5 due to my lack of funds.
    Thanks. Word of advice to you both: Slap some tape on the top of the fork because the cables will rub paint off that area.

1/2 fast or 1/2 assed?
    Is that a the actual size Mercfh?
    I'm a ******bag in real life so I dont have to be one on the interwebz.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Koppuh Klyde View Post
    Is that a the actual size Mercfh?
    Lawl.....ya sorry, I didnt realize the image would be that big would I loaded it on here. I just took it with my Phone :/

my bad.

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    You can literally replace every single part and the frame on bikes like that. It would be stupid.

Make the bike fit you right. That might mean a new saddle and frequently means a new stem or handlebars.

Get pedals and tires that you like and work for your riding style and trails.

Go ride. In fact, do a few rides before you do any of the above.
    Great advice
    TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercfh View Post
    Lawl.....ya sorry, I didnt realize the image would be that big would I loaded it on here. I just took it with my Phone :/

my bad.
    Edit your post and just use MS Paint to resize your picture so you don't throw off the formatting of the entire page. 1024x768 or less is more than fine for picture threads.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just bought a Giant Revel 0 green/black. I can't wait to ride it because I'm getting into mountain biking and I'm also looking for trails to test my new Revel around the San Fernando Valley. I love mountain biking ever since i broke my first el cheapo bike. My first post!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Just bought my first mountain bike in over 12 years. I used to ride an old Specialized Rockhopper for 2 years about 12 years ago. I'm now getting back into the sport with this: it's a Cannondale Flash 29er 1. It comes nicely spec'd, so it's completely stock. I still need to get shoes and clipless pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-uploadfromtaptalk1310282042443.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by usn.mustanger View Post
    Just bought my first mountain bike in over 12 years. I used to ride an old Specialized Rockhopper for 2 years about 12 years ago. I'm now getting back into the sport with this: it's a Cannondale Flash 29er 1. It comes nicely spec'd, so it's completely stock. I still need to get shoes and clipless pedals.
    wow nice bike. i have been drooling over one of those!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    here is my new purchase. I have had it for about 3 weeks now and really like it. First upgrade might be the fork as it is already showing alot of "grease" on the stanctions.

Its a devinci cameleon 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ImagePree View Post
    Thanks. Word of advice to you both: Slap some tape on the top of the fork because the cables will rub paint off that area.
    a little too late now. went and took a look at it, some of the paint have been rubbed off already.

Quote Originally Posted by usn.mustanger View Post
    damn, lefty forks are so sexy!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Here is Mine

2009 Cannondale F9. Paid $400.00(owner used it for 2 weeks).
    upgrades: SR SUNTOUR SF11-XCR LOD 26' fork and CONTINENTAL EXPLORER 2.1 tires.
    Bike weight: 28 lbs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-pic-1.jpg  

Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-pic-2.jpg  

WI. Big Boy MTBer
    My '11 Giant Rev.

Started out as a Rev2, but since getting it a few months back, I have dumped the boat anchor SR fork for a rigid Surly 1x1, changed out the cockpit to Bontrager Race riser bar and Bontrager 100mm x 10deg stem, changed out the wheelset to Mavic / XT / LX and canned the stock Kenda small block 8s for Conti Mountain King 2.4s. I also slapped on an older school WTB sst saddle and am going to dump off the stocker seatpost for something a little nicer. As is, this bike is kicking all forms of a$$

TREK X CALIBER 6, MOTOBECANE USA MIRAGE SLX

mtbr member
    ^^ I love that thing

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    My avalanche just picked up a set of easton am havoc wheelset . Nice and stiff and rolls really good. Got em bnib.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G
    Last edited by ricky916; 08-02-2011 at 01:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

My First ride

Here's mine:

I got it off of craigslist from a college kid in need of some money. Obviously a Trek 3700, he told me that it's a 2012.

The first upgrades will most likely be a new saddle and a new set of pedals. Both need to be replaced.

Page 54 of 134 FirstFirst ... 4 44 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 64 104 ... LastLast