1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hmmm how much does single speed upgrades cost and what is it mainly for?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mychal89
    hmmm how much does single speed upgrades cost and what is it mainly for?
    Having a single speeder is mostly about being a true American badass, and telling the world, "Gears? I don't need no stinkin' gears!!!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2009 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc, and 2008 Trek 6000 Disc

I just purchased new bikes for the wife and I. Here they are in all of their stock glory!

Hope you don't mind a bunch of pictures.

2009 Gary Fisher Marlin Disc

2008 Trek 6000 Disc

mtbr member
    May 2008
    2007 Cannondale F7. Upgrades are Eggbeater pedals, WTB saddle, stem, flat bar, SRAM Attack Gripshift, IRC Mibro tires, and Dart 3 fork (wanted lockout but wish I bought something better).
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Nice bikes Matt. Lose the reflectors though. I wish my 6000 series was still that clean. lol. She's a bit dirty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ^^Thanks. Yeah, my reflectors will be gone soon. I was just too excited when I got home and grabbed the camera. The wife won't let me take her's off, though. She's the "what if" type. Nothing wrong with that, though, and it's her bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT0404
    ^^Thanks. Yeah, my reflectors will be gone soon. I was just too excited when I got home and grabbed the camera. The wife won't let me take her's off, though. She's the "what if" type. Nothing wrong with that, though, and it's her bike.
    How do you like the Marlin? I'm thinking about getting one for my first MTB in a while.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by lshaker
    How do you like the Marlin? I'm thinking about getting one for my first MTB in a while.
    I am really liking the Marlin and its G2 geometry. I haven't had too much time to put it through the wringer yet, but so far so good!

mtbr member
    My entry level mtn bike still building her

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Y00, after 8 years i felt that it was time to get started with xc again. So i uppgraded my old schauff hurricane xt to an easton whiskey pete. The old frame felt actually lighter then the new one but the new one feels very nice and responsive.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

I bought this bike a year or two ago, and had it sitting in my garage. One day I looked at it and thought about getting into mountain biking. So for now this is my entry level bike, but I am looking into getting a better and stronger bike

Sorry for the crappy pictures, this was taken at a local park (wakefield)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

2009 Giant Rincon, originally bought the bike to do some light XC, trail riding, etc

A friend of mine got me to try downhilling.. it's ridiculously fun, but I'm still absolutely horrible at it. I decided to upgrade the original Suntour fork with a Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2 to put up with that extra abuse and I definitely feel like I'm getting better.

Love the bike so far and its been so much fun getting back into biking. I didn't realize how much I missed it.

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008

Hopefully that image works... I got it used, and a bunch of it was upgraded. I dont know what was or wasnt, so here is a component list:

Shifters and both derailleurs--Shimano Deore XT
    Brakes--Hayes Mag hydraulic disks
    Fork--Magura Quake w/80mm of travel
    Wheels--Forte Terra Max
    Crankset--Shimano Deore LX Hollowtech
    Headset--Cane Creek S6 cartridge bearings
    Saddle--Forte Team titanium rails
    Handlebars--Topo XC-220 aluminum risers
    Seatpost--O'rion aluminum

it weighs 27.7 lbs, and I got it for $300. Works for me!

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008

Got it used, so not sure what was upgraded and what wasnt. a lot of it was though. here are the components:

Shifters and both derailleurs--Shimano Deore XT
    Brakes--Hayes Mag hydraulic disks
    Fork--Magura Quake s/ 80mm of travel
    Wheels--Forte Terra Max
    Crankset--Shimano Deore LX Hollowtech
    Headset--Cane Creek S6 cartridge bearings
    Saddle--Forte Team titanium rails
    Handlebars--Topo XC-220 aluminum risers
    Seatpost--O'rion aluminum

weighs in at 27.7 lbs. got it for only $300.

I like bacon... (clyde)
    2008 Trek 6500 Disc

Upgrades:
    Shimano M520 clipless
    Raceface Ride flat handlebar
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro tires (66 tpi)
    WTB Speed V saddle
    Sette Edge stem
    Ourey Mountain grips
    Stickers: Raceface, Sette, Ourey, Pricepoint.com (all together add 1.37 mph at all times)

I love this bike! I just started riding around the beginning July. I was about 224 lbs then, and now I'm at 215. The gut's shrinking as the legs get bigger. I attribute this to riding nearly every day because my diet hasn't changed. My goal is to be out of clydesdale status by the end of the year.

If you noticed that the fork isn't stock, that's because my Tora 302 was leaking oil. Right now, I have a '09 Tora XC temporarily while the '09 Tora SL's are backordered at SRAM. I should have it in about a month I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Love the 6500. I wanted one but they were sold out. Bike shop gave me a good deal on a 6000 out of pity so I have a 6000. Love the oreo paint scheme.

Beautiful bike!
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

I like bacon... (clyde)
    Quote Originally Posted by DrNickels
    Love the 6500. I wanted one but they were sold out. Bike shop gave me a good deal on a 6000 out of pity so I have a 6000. Love the oreo paint scheme.

Beautiful bike!
    Thanks.

The 6000 is still a very nice bike, and with the money you saved you can justify more upgrades! One of my riding buddies has a '08 6000. I upgraded all the "contact points" and feel the bike is 2x as good as it was stock. I wiped out quite a bit with the stock tires.

Oreos are good, but zebras are faster. Although, I can eat an oreo faster than I can eat a zebra. But can a zebra eat an oreo faster than me? I think its a wash. At any rate, if possible, my future upgrades will be white. Then it will be double stuffd.

Token Hillbilly
    Me and my '08 Marlin that I got back in May. This was yesterday morning at the races!

Only changes thus far are a Spesh BG Sport saddle, Spesh BG grips, some Shimano M520 pedals, and an old busted tube from my roadie I turned into a slapguard for my chainstay.

Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    2002 Kona Stuff. Bought it yesterday. Went and did some dirt jumping with it, very nice. old owner added OURY grips and shimano deore disks.

Rear disk

MTBR Member
    Nice 6500, that was the other bike I was looking at when I got my fisher. I was wondering about that 09 Tora on there. I had the same problem as soon as I picked up my bike at the beginning of the year. The same fork came back to me but just with a Reba rebound assembly instead. So does the 09 Tora SL come with motion control or is it just about the same as the '08 tora 302?

I like bacon... (clyde)
    Quote Originally Posted by ncfisherman
    Nice 6500, that was the other bike I was looking at when I got my fisher. I was wondering about that 09 Tora on there. I had the same problem as soon as I picked up my bike at the beginning of the year. The same fork came back to me but just with a Reba rebound assembly instead. So does the 09 Tora SL come with motion control or is it just about the same as the '08 tora 302?
    What Fisher did you end up getting? I probably would have gotten one equivalent to the 6500 but I got a pretty good deal on the Trek. The Rockshox website is updated, so you can check out the '09 forks there. The SL is different from the 302 in that it is lighter, has wider stanchions (what my LBS told me), has no steer tube offset and has different decals.

MTBR Member
    I got the 08 tassajara(its on page 2). It's equivalent to the 6500. Pretty much the exact same component set stock. The fisher just fit me a little better. Gonna check out the RS site...didn't know they updated it yet. Thanks for the info.

I like bacon... (clyde)
    I had to choose between the '08 Tass and 6500. I got the Trek for $150 less, so I figured I was doing pretty good considering they had the same components. The Tass is a bit lighter than the 6500, maybe by about 2 lbs, so if I had to make the decision again it would be tougher. At the time, they both seemed super light to me considering its my first serious bike.

mtbr member

Trek up your life

Trek 6000

upgrades: some free trails tires
    red grips
    some shimano discs
    and the computer
    breTT

Page 3 of 130 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 103 ... LastLast