1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Forge Sawback

Forge Sawback - After a fresh bath and a new fork

Upgrades - all ebay buys except the tires

XT Dual Control Shifters
    XT Rear Derailleur
    XT Hydro Brakes
    Manitou R7 Super

Last edited by rlouder; 08-29-2008 at 07:40 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dana109

I upgraded the pedals to Time Aliums since i took this pic.
    Nice Rocky!

Looks real nice in that colour.

wyrd bi ful rd
    this was an entry level GT avalanche, about 2 years ago ... my first bike ... and not 1 month into it, i have already upgraded the brakes and rotors

20080829 GT 01 MTBR FORUM.jpg

then it was the saddle and seat post and fork and wheels

20080829 GT 02 MTBR FORUM.jpg

thereafter i caught the deadly disease, upgradis canceritis, and the GT frame was history ... i still have the upgraded parts mentioned above just that it is on another frame and so at least i did not actually upgrade a part that was previously an upgrade itself ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

my 2008 Marlin Disc, stock except the saddle which was replaced with an unknown bontrager that was narrower and thinner than the original, which was torn when I picked up the bike.

Mine and my Fiance's bikes on our super cheap target rack. She made me take it down though, she said it was too big for our one bedroom apartment. She's right lol!

yeah that's the Marlin going off its first pretty sweet jump

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here's my IH Maverick 5.0.

F&R Avid BB7
    Avid Full Metal Jacket
    Avid SpeedDial 7
    Panaracer XC Fire Pro
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member

WTB PrueV saddle
    08 Yukon Giant

Get UP ! Dust Off ! & Try It Again!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Which bike should i get ?

Hello fellow riders, I started riding to get some exercise at the beginning of this year.When I first started it was like work but I stuck with it and now its fun if I dont ride everyday I dont feel right. I've been riding trails and single tracks and the single is rough so heres my problem I've been doing this on a Pacific mountain bike from Toys R Us LOL I did'nt know how hard I was working riding this bike until I went to some bike shop's that were having sale's, so here's my ? I want to get a real entry level mountain bike and these or my pick's Gaint XTC1,Cannondale F4 or 5,Trek 6000 all hardtails. I would like some feedback PS. you may laugh at my Pacific but it got me in shape and opened up a whole new world .

spec4life???..smh...
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonhendon
    Hello fellow riders, I started riding to get some exercise at the beginning of this year.When I first started it was like work but I stuck with it and now its fun if I dont ride everyday I dont feel right. I've been riding trails and single tracks and the single is rough so heres my problem I've been doing this on a Pacific mountain bike from Toys R Us LOL I did'nt know how hard I was working riding this bike until I went to some bike shop's that were having sale's, so here's my ? I want to get a real entry level mountain bike and these or my pick's Gaint XTC1,Cannondale F4 or 5,Trek 6000 all hardtails. I would like some feedback PS. you may laugh at my Pacific but it got me in shape and opened up a whole new world .
    Dont be a thread jacker...

Start a new one....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectBomber

Mine and my Fiance's bikes on our super cheap target rack. She made me take it down though, she said it was too big for our one bedroom apartment. She's right lol!
    Hey so ya selling the rack? I booted mine (MTB hater) and that would great in my two bedroom apartment....right next to my big-screen HD football watching 56" DLP TV!

Nice bike, btw, too!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for all the help guys NOT I quess I'm flying solo !!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GroverTheClover
    Here's my IH Maverick 5.0.

F&R Avid BB7
    Avid Full Metal Jacket
    Avid SpeedDial 7
    Panaracer XC Fire Pro

I'm in love with the color of your frame

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Marin Hawk Hill SE 2005.

Upgrades are XT front and rear derailleur, LX shifters, Truvativ Stylo Crankset, Mavic/Shimano front wheel, Alex/Shimano rear wheel and Avid BB7 brakes.

I was going to upgrade some other things as well (especially the fork), but at this point I'm looking at getting a Chumba XCL frame and doing that up with an all XT setup with a TALAS 32 fork. I'm pretty sure that the bike shop I bought this bike at didn't fit me properly. Doing longer rides (1.5+ hrs) I get significant discomfort in my back and when I ran my measurements through a few online calculators they calculated that I need a TT length of 23.5 to 24". The Marin is 21.7" I believe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    '09 Specialized Hardrock disc

All stock for now except for the Specialized Speedzone Comp computer i added.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Heres my 08 Diamondback Responce... This is for getting me back and forth from school (around 2-3 miles) and to hit minor trails when i want! Im basically using this til i get used to trails and can start hitting bigger ones. Im going to get road tires for this bike pretty soon so i can basically use this as a road and trail rider til i feel like i need to upgrade and when i do im going to get the competition version of this bike!!! DIAMONDBACK FOR LIFE!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This is my entry lvl Diamondback Hardtail Responce... And i Love it!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This might be a little off topic, but many of us who have posted have mainly entry level bikes with upgrades. At what point do you stop with the upgrades and move on to another bike? Is it really worth it to invest heavily in an entry level bike? I am most likely done with upgrades until something breaks.

Beginner & Proud
    Aug 2008
    Hello to all, this is my first post after being a lurker for a while . Currently only have the one pic of my Spec Hardrock Comp Disc 08. I look a little bemused but the photo was taken about 10 minutes after doing a flying act over the handle bars and snapping my wrists back (luckly no break of fracture). Currently no upgrades but only had for a couple of months. I'm fairly new to mountain biking, haven't been on a bike for a good 10 years but thoroughly enjoying it

MTBR Member

08 fisher tassajara

Finally have a picture up. No major upgrades...terry fly gel saddle, crank brothers mallet 1's, and a cateye computer. That's about all.

MTBR Member
    [IMG]Photobucket[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Here's my 08 Hardrock

No real upgrades...just some Time ATAC pedals. I also changed the stem and bar out. But they're back at the stock setup now. Saddle has been upgraded to something smaller than I can slide back on easier. The stock saddle was way too big and made descents fairly difficult and dangerous!

Specialized Hardrock

Singletrack +1
    08 Trek 4500 (converted to 1x9)
    C.B. EggBeaters, WTB PureV Saddle, WTB VelociRaptors 2.1, Blackspire 34T, Gamut Bashguard, Rohloff Chainguide Half, Deore LX Rear Derailleur.

She gets around alright, nice and light on the climbs. Wish i had a granny today, but nothin a little mashing wouldntt get me through on that trail.
    1x9 Hardtail, yummy.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vonhendon
    Hello fellow riders, I started riding to get some exercise..... ......I want to get a real entry level mountain bike and these or my pick's Gaint XTC1,Cannondale F4 or 5,Trek 6000 all hardtails. I would like some feedback PS. you may laugh at my Pacific but it got me in shape and opened up a whole new world .
    not going to laugh at your pacific. any of those bikes are good, pick the one that fits the best and that you like the best. its really that easy.
    now.... dont hijack threads

mtbr member
    Old bike. 2000 Gary Fisher Marlin. Totally stock.

New bike. 2008 GT Force 3.0. Totally stock except the standard pedals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by HardRockCop
    Hey so ya selling the rack? I booted mine (MTB hater) and that would great in my two bedroom apartment....right next to my big-screen HD football watching 56" DLP TV!

Nice bike, btw, too!
    sorry, I'm not planning on selling the rack quite yet. we should be moving around the first of the year to a bigger place and I hope to have room for it then, maybe even a garage lol.

For all you people with rockin' the DiamondBacks, have you had any issues i should look out for on my fiance's ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    2003 Jamis Eureka converted to a singlespeed.

Page 2 of 134 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 52 102 ... LastLast