1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 15 of 133 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My new Giant XTC2. Picture was taken right after the first break in ride. Reflectors came off the next day. No upgrades yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    My 2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport...Stock

29er Club Member
    Upgrades

The following post may ruffle your feathers. If it does… You may need to take yourself less seriously!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    no pics but i got a 99 hardrock comp after my brother decided to start riding again. then got a killer deal on a sette riddik fs with pretty nice components

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Glad to see other iron horses on here. Here is my Sports Authority special. A IH Quantum 2. All stock except Memory foam seat, pump and custom made frame bag. Not that the last two have anything to do with bike mods... This bike has held up great. Did some pretty good downhill the other day and its all good. Hoping to pick up a Specialized Enduro from my LBS if I can work the deal out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ZGOZZ
    Upgrades
    About your seat angle. Do you find you get sore wrists? Mine are sore just looking at it.
    I hate 650b because it's not as fun as 26 inch wheels and because it doesn't have the rollover ability of 29 inch wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Upgraded to torsion handlebars, a race face evolve am stem, LX cranks and the RS Tora soloair fork with aluminum steerer. Dropped 2lbs with those additions over stock. If can get this bike to 30lbs ill be happy, but heck it doesnt ride to heavy as it is. Tacoed my front rim not to long ago and just laced up a twenty year old Araya RM-20 I had layin around, not an upgrade, but certainly not a downgrade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Well, sold my GF Wahoo (post #15 on pg 4) and picked up an '08 Diamondback Sortie 1 closeout. Pretty much upgrade all way round on components from my GF. Deore shifting and Dart 3 up front.

Extremely happy with performance of the bike for an entry level FS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Here is a few shots of my new 2010 Trek 8500 stock. I haven't even rode it yet, need to buy shoes!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    ^^^sick just sick!!!!!^^^^^
    Mine-2010 Trek 4300 Disk
    Wifes-2010 Trek 3700

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echodawg
    Here is a few shots of my new 2010 Trek 8500 stock. I haven't even rode it yet, need to buy shoes!
    Your skewers are pointing int he wrong direction. Other than that nice ride, not nearly entry level but you still want to show it off
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Echodawg

Nice! Love the looks of it. Wouldn't call it entry level though.

Walmart Bike Member
    i thought this thread was for entry level mtb's lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggler2
    There is only one Bike Forum standard... quality is directly proportional to money spent.

TRANCER
    This is my 1st Mountain bike. Its a Giant Yukon FX. With Ergon Performance Grips. Specialized Lo Pro Mag Platform Pedals so far. Next up on the upgrade list is as follows

1. Sram Powerglide PG-850 8SP Cassette

2. Race Face X-Type Deus Crankset

3.Rockshox Recon 351 Coil U Turn FRK or Rock Shox Tora 302 Coil U-Turn Fork. If the right cash is available get Fox.

4. Sram X.9 Front & Rear Derailleur

5. Wippermann Connex chain

Last edited by Biohazard74; 09-13-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    Ride

TRANCER
    Quote Originally Posted by Spawne32
    After a few of the bikes i have seen on here i was scared to post mine lol
    Ride

Thread Killer
    i guess that depends on your definition of "entry level"

for one dude, it's the first mtb he's bought, regardless of price...for the next dude, it's any bike under $X00. for me, my entry-level mtb fit into both criteria

Walmart Bike Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bucksaw87
    i guess that depends on your definition of "entry level"

for one dude, it's the first mtb he's bought, regardless of price...for the next dude, it's any bike under $X00. for me, my entry-level mtb fit into both criteria
    trek 8500 retails for 3 grand, thats like posting a ferrari in a thread called "Post your honda civic" lol regardless, cool bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggler2
    There is only one Bike Forum standard... quality is directly proportional to money spent.

cougarbait
    trek 8500 retails for 3 grand, thats like posting a ferrari in a thread called "Post your honda civic"
    haha, no kidding

at least he still has his pie plate on
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Thread Killer
    trek 8500 retails for 3 grand, thats like posting a ferrari in a thread called "Post your honda civic" lol regardless, cool bike
    have you ever seen that show on MTV, "my super sweet 16?"

some of those prissy-ass *****es get a better car for their birfdey than most people will ever afford in their lifetime. their first car IS a bmw m3, mercedes SLK, or porsche boxter...whereas the rest of the world, to use your example, will get a honda civic (maybe not a civic exactly, but some other little ol' car).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Biohazard74
    After a few of the bikes i have seen on here i was scared to post mine lol
    exactly how I fell

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    here is my entry level bike:
    GIANT YUKON 07

upgraded saddle, rear der, brake levers, headset and fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    What is that on your stem? And I take it that rock garden is at Theo?

Bushwacker

My entry Moto single pivot

XT/Deore mix with Rapidfire shifters were stock. I swapped in an upsized MC-3 shock which increased my rear travel from 1.5 to 3.5". I also upgraded to a Tora 318 U-turn coil w/remote, platforms and Easton seatpost. The bike plus parts off e-bay and I have around $780 in it which is all I'd want to spend at this level. I'm having a good time on it so far.

3_small.jpg

6_small.jpg

1_small.jpg

8_small.jpg

11_small.jpg
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    here is my 2008 diamondback coil-ex entry lever i have a total of $650 into it and cant wait to upgrade some more

i just put some Wellgo MG-1's on it, and a Rock shox Tora 318 U-turn with pop-loc and a Manitou Swinger SPV 4way rear shock will be here in 2 days, ill upload pics of that when i get it up

cougarbait
    wow you've dumped $650 into that thing?? you know you can't get nearly that much back right??
    otherwise, loving the color
    09AS-Rsl/09Six

Page 15 of 133 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 25 65 115 ... LastLast