1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 112 of 132 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 122 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 3288
    mtbr member
    My 2012 Overdrive Sport with upgrades:
    Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-wp_000268.jpg
    Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-wp_000270.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Nice Kona, JMan

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    uncrx2003, that Focus looks nice!!!! If works keeps you too busy, ship it to me and I will ride it for you!!!
    You can borrow it when you are in NC. LOL. Took it out today and I'm way out of shape. Previously, I was riding a friend's FS. The ride on a HT is completely different. My @ss is going to be sore tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Very nice Cannondale, El Mango !

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just picked up a 2010 Gary Fisher (Trek) Cobia 29er, used, for $700. It's my first mountain bike, put about 30 miles of singletrack on it so far in the week I've had it.

All stock for a '10 Cobia except the front rotor has been upgraded from a 160mm Roundagon to a 185mm, and the Bontrager 29-3 front tire has been replaced with a Bontrager XDX. And those stock pedals just absolutely have to go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-img_8894.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just ordered a shimano deore crankset, w/bottom bracket.Sram x-9 rear shifter and pg970 cassette

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just picked up my first FS bike. It's a 2011 Jamis Dakar xct1.

mtbr member
    My 2013 Giant Revel 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Stumpjumper HT Comp 2009
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-img_2226.jpg  

2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by camekanix View Post
    Here's mine, 85 or later Diamondback Apex. Craigslist find.
    New: wheels, 8spd cassette, bars, saddle.
    Upcoming: stem, single spd crank, possibly fenders & racks/bags.
    Great commuter!
    How is that wheelset? I know I'm kind of late to ask.
    Last edited by M u d; 12-17-2012 at 05:24 PM.

mtbr member
    '13 Revel 3

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmatt480 View Post
    Picked up my 2010 Scott Scale 29er off CG for a steal at $600 with no defects, came with egg beaters but I took them off and replaced them with some grippy specialized platform pedals. My shins look horrible, but i like being able to dump the bike when I have to. What do you think? Already has 180 Avid elixir 5 up front, 160 in the back. Rock Shox Reba SL with remote lock. this bike is so light and nimble that I don't think I'll have to buy a new bike until this one breaks in half!!!
    Where did you get those bike mount/racks for your truck bed? Thats exactly what I am wanting!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My 2010 Gary Fisher X-Cal. Found it on craigslist for $600. Was his wifes bike and she never took it on a trail. Headed out in an hour to rack up some more miles on it.

Bone stock except I put on Truvativ World Cup flat bar and some new grips
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-photo-20.jpg  

Tin Man
    2012 Trek Marlin 29er.

Mods
    Shimano clipless
    BB7's, Avid rotors and levers
    Moved front brake to right side M/C style
    Reba RL
    Maxxis Ardent
    Specalized computer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-trek-1-2-.jpg  

Last edited by L8str; 12-18-2012 at 05:16 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Nice looking Trek

mtbr member
    GT Avalanche 3.0 Disc.

The only aftermarket parts are Oury lock-on grips, Forte Convert Pedals, and Lizardskins chainstay protector. Been riding it since maybe April of this year. Still on stock tires. Went through stock chain and I don't know how but it kept binding up when I would back pedal to reposition my pedals, it has some cheap SRAM 8-speed chain. If the fork ever fails I might want to swap it for a Rockshox Reba and I I kind of want to go to a 1x9. I'm not sure if that is all worth it or if it's a better idea to upgrade once stuff starts failing.

mtbr member
    Just sold this - Marin Alpine 29er

and picked up this over the weekend - '13 Spesh Carve Expert

mtbr member

Trek Fuel EX7

2013-Trek Fuel Ex 7
    Everything on it is stock except for pedals.
    Looking to eventually go tubeless, hopefully this spring.
    Also a dropper seat post whenever I can afford it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-resampled_2012-11-12_12-45-08_712.jpg  

mtbr member

Kamaaina1's "back on the bike"

Well,
    Here she is, fresh out of storage. Bike must be around 8-10 years old bought from WalMart. (Stop Laughing!) I'll use this until I can upgrade. Basically, need to get back into riding. Use to ride all the time when I lived in Hawall, But since relocating to Vancouver, Washington (about 10mi. North of Portland, OR) I've ridden sparingly.
    Not sure what direction to go as far as the upgrade goes; HT with premium parts, or entry-level FS. Budget will be around $1000+/-. There is a NOS Kona Lana'i HT for $450, or a 04' Kona Kikapu FS for $700, both on the local CR, but I just started looking. Iím 5í7, 200lbs (fat ass) so Iím assuming I want to go with a small frame.
    Aloha!!

Tin Man
    Quote Originally Posted by shoope1 View Post
    Nice looking Trek
    First time I've heard that
    On the trails I ride there's mostly high end FS bikes. My little HT doesn't get a second look.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kamaaina1 View Post
    Well,
    Here she is, fresh out of storage. Bike must be around 8-10 years old bought from WalMart. (Stop Laughing!) I'll use this until I can upgrade. Basically, need to get back into riding. Use to ride all the time when I lived in Hawall, But since relocating to Vancouver, Washington (about 10mi. North of Portland, OR) I've ridden sparingly.
    Not sure what direction to go as far as the upgrade goes; HT with premium parts, or entry-level FS. Budget will be around $1000+/-. There is a NOS Kona Lana'i HT for $450, or a 04' Kona Kikapu FS for $700, both on the local CR, but I just started looking. Iím 5í7, 200lbs (fat ass) so Iím assuming I want to go with a small frame.
    Aloha!!

I'm with the riding what you got until something good comes along. This way you feel good when time sends this bike to retirement or other functions. I'm also 5'7" and I find medium frames very good
    2009 Stumpjumper Comp HT.
    An old Trek 820 ST.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Nice rides

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

... and if we just ...

Here's my first MB build. What isn't new is almost new. Best way for me to learn is take it all apart and put it back together! Piece of cake with months and months of study and the help of some cool guys on here

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

06 Gary Fisher Marlin

I see a bunch of later Marlins on here. They have changed a lot. I've got cruiser bike seat and suspension post now. That's the only change I've made. I bought it new back in 07 and I still love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by shamrok View Post
    Just sold this - Marin Alpine 29er

and picked up this over the weekend - '13 Spesh Carve Expert
    Nice carve, was looking into this bike then discovered Airbornes new goblin.

Did you consider the new goblin too or you get a great deal on the carve?