1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 110 of 130 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 3236
    Master Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    Where do you people find these Craigslist gems???? My craigslist in Florida sucks!!!
    It's gotta be 10000x better than Milwaukee, WI.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    [QUOTE=JFaur;9811700]Im not exactly sure that some of these last bikes posted fit into the "Entry level" category. If they do than my "entry level" bikes are CRAP! lolol

The 2009 specialized i got for $320 and the 2012 Revel 1 i got for $220, both local from craigslist. No upgrades on any yet aside for grips. 1st upgrade will prob be the suntour fork on the revel and then brakes.

Great deals!

Master Shredder
    Final iteration before the end of the season, added a Tioga D-Spyder saddle (And better pic of Wellgo B103 pedals):

Edit: woah this forum needs an auto resize feature like they have on bodybuilding.com

Disabled Vet
    Holy HUGE pics,Batman!

(nice bike in them though )
    Last edited by longhaultrucker; 11-02-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

mtbr member
    mk.ultra, how do you like those pedals?

Master Shredder
    mk.ultra, how do you like those pedals?
    They're awesome and relatively light at about 390 g/pair. super cheap too

mtbr member
    Where did you find them?

banned
    Jan 2012
    mk.ultra, Hows the Tioga saddle? If its comfortable I'll buy one for my Z29. [Dealextreme has them for dirt cheap IIRC]
    Last edited by Wasmachineman NL; 11-02-2012 at 11:23 AM.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal Clyde View Post
    If I should stay with a suspension fork, what is a good one for a rider of about 300lbs?
    Manitou's are good clydesdale forks, look in the shocks and suspension forum for info.

Master Shredder
    Where did you find them?
    pricepoint.com was the only place I could find them

Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    mk.ultra, Hows the Tioga saddle? If its comfortable I'll buy one for my Z29. [Dealextreme has them for dirt cheap IIRC]
    it's less comfortable than my stock WTB Pure V Sport, but it's bearable. If you go on 1 hour+ rides idk if I could recommend it. dealextreme has some for $76 but i got mine on ebay for $45 shipped. I never go on long rides so its fine for me, and 200 g lighter than my stock seat.

mtbr member
    Those Tioga saddle's are sweet

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jwor620 View Post
    Newbie here, I started out making the same mistake many do. I picked up a cheapie box store bike. Road it twice and realized it was going to be a widow maker. I found a Gary Fisher HiFi Plus at the local bike shop. Fit was great, the service was excellent and the first two rides...... outstanding. I see now why everyone says get the "Better quality bikes used from your LBS". You are absolutely right. It was day and night difference. Shamefully admitting this since, I have ridden a road bike for years. I did buy a box store bike to start there as well, however that proved to be a good experience. I got a ton of miles of road riding out of that bike with no trouble. When I went to a Trek road bike, it was amazing the difference in the ride quality. Short version is, I should have known better than to take a cheapie on the trails.
    I like this bike. Would this HiFi be a big upgrade from a Trek 3500. I sold it so I can buy an upgrade. I felt the 3500 was gonna break some day.

Very green

This is my rig

This is mine, a 2009 Fuji Nevada 4.0. Upgrades so far are Kenda Nevegals, Oury grips, Bontrager saddle (got it with some massive comfort bike seat), all new cables, shorter/taller stem, and an RST Gila T9 100mm travel fork coming in this week to replace the Suntour 50mm travel on it now.

I got the Fuji for $160 at a pawn shop after talking them down some. I was looking for a Specialized Hardrock or similar, but couldn't find one under $250 and they still needed stuff. I like my Fuji, though; it's different, but not in a bad way, and it withstood my first jump yesterday - a whopping 1.5- or 2-foot berm, lol - and then my fifth and sixth jumps as I went back and did it again and again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-p1000788.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My Quake 7.3 with a couple upgrades.

mtbr member
    Very nice

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JFaur View Post
    The 2009 specialized i got for $320 and the 2012 Revel 1 i got for $220, both local from craigslist. No upgrades on any yet aside for grips. 1st upgrade will prob be the suntour fork on the revel and then brakes.
    I looked at a Revel 1 as well but the owner wanted more money. $220 seems fair since that's a pretty nice bike to start with.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

2009 Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc

I recently upgraded the saddle (WTB Pure V), pedals (Wellgo MG-1), Kenda Nevegal 2.1 (rear) and 2.35 (front Stick-E), brakes (Avid BB-7) and added an Avid 185mm front rotor. Debating on swapping out the fork... the stock one has taken a nice beating over the last 3 yrs and never performed well in the first place!

Any suggestions on a 26", 100mm travel G2 geometry fork that would be a nice upgrade? I've searched online everywhere and I'm stumped! There are tons of G2s for 29ers... none for 26ers it seems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-2009-gf-wahoo-disc.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    ...and my Venustus is in the background checking out the GF!!! Haha... just noticed this.

mtbr member
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Trail DS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-20121017_211905.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

... and if we just ...

So I picked up this second hand Trek Bruiser One a few weeks ago for a very decent cheap price. My Kona got stolen a while back, so needed to get some wheels again.

2002 model I think - pretty rugged bike. Rigid forks are fun

Since I took this pic I've given it new grips, 8-speed rear cassette, serviced the rear hub and some general TLC. It rides well so no complaints at all!

see me rollin, they hatin
    Quote Originally Posted by Anrkist View Post
    This is mine, a 2009 Fuji Nevada 4.0. Upgrades so far are Kenda Nevegals, Oury grips, Bontrager saddle (got it with some massive comfort bike seat), all new cables, shorter/taller stem, and an RST Gila T9 100mm travel fork coming in this week to replace the Suntour 50mm travel on it now.

I got the Fuji for $160 at a pawn shop after talking them down some. I was looking for a Specialized Hardrock or similar, but couldn't find one under $250 and they still needed stuff. I like my Fuji, though; it's different, but not in a bad way, and it withstood my first jump yesterday - a whopping 1.5- or 2-foot berm, lol - and then my fifth and sixth jumps as I went back and did it again and again.
    Hey there, it may be too late, but you should ask and make sure that you can use a 100mm fork to replace a 50mm (ask the suspension forum) i only say that because i was told going 20mm higher is ok, but anything above that can change the geometry and cause stress on the headtube, possibly snapping it. i dont know a ton on the subject, but other people do. They may suggest you using an 80mm fork. just lettin ya know!
    fap

mtbr member
    I like that bruiser a lot nice bike

lets ride

my "entry" level bike

Picked up my 2010 Scott Scale 29er off CG for a steal at $600 with no defects, came with egg beaters but I took them off and replaced them with some grippy specialized platform pedals. My shins look horrible, but i like being able to dump the bike when I have to. What do you think? Already has 180 Avid elixir 5 up front, 160 in the back. Rock Shox Reba SL with remote lock. this bike is so light and nimble that I don't think I'll have to buy a new bike until this one breaks in half!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Very green
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    Hey there, it may be too late, but you should ask and make sure that you can use a 100mm fork to replace a 50mm (ask the suspension forum) i only say that because i was told going 20mm higher is ok, but anything above that can change the geometry and cause stress on the headtube, possibly snapping it. i dont know a ton on the subject, but other people do. They may suggest you using an 80mm fork. just lettin ya know!
    Thanks for the tip But Fuji also put in 80mm forks on the same frame, so 100mm is not a stretch, I think.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmatt480 View Post
    Picked up my 2010 Scott Scale 29er off CG for a steal at $600 with no defects, came with egg beaters but I took them off and replaced them with some grippy specialized platform pedals. My shins look horrible, but i like being able to dump the bike when I have to. What do you think? Already has 180 Avid elixir 5 up front, 160 in the back. Rock Shox Reba SL with remote lock. this bike is so light and nimble that I don't think I'll have to buy a new bike until this one breaks in half!!!
    Steal and a half! Nice bike especially for $600!

What's CG?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1