1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 110 of 130 FirstFirst ... 10 60 100 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 120 ... LastLast
Results 2,726 to 2,750 of 3236
  1. #2726
    Master Shredder
    Reputation: mk.ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    Where do you people find these Craigslist gems???? My craigslist in Florida sucks!!!
    It's gotta be 10000x better than Milwaukee, WI.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

  2. #2727
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    13
    [QUOTE=JFaur;9811700]Im not exactly sure that some of these last bikes posted fit into the "Entry level" category. If they do than my "entry level" bikes are CRAP! lolol

    The 2009 specialized i got for $320 and the 2012 Revel 1 i got for $220, both local from craigslist. No upgrades on any yet aside for grips. 1st upgrade will prob be the suntour fork on the revel and then brakes.



    Great deals!

  3. #2728
    Master Shredder
    Reputation: mk.ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    298
    Final iteration before the end of the season, added a Tioga D-Spyder saddle (And better pic of Wellgo B103 pedals):









    Edit: woah this forum needs an auto resize feature like they have on bodybuilding.com
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

  4. #2729
    Disabled Vet
    Reputation: longhaultrucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,995
    Holy HUGE pics,Batman!

    (nice bike in them though )
    Last edited by longhaultrucker; 11-02-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

  5. #2730
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iamspartacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    353
    mk.ultra, how do you like those pedals?

  6. #2731
    Master Shredder
    Reputation: mk.ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    mk.ultra, how do you like those pedals?
    They're awesome and relatively light at about 390 g/pair. super cheap too
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

  7. #2732
    mtbr member
    Reputation: iamspartacus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    353
    Where did you find them?

  8. #2733
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    404
    mk.ultra, Hows the Tioga saddle? If its comfortable I'll buy one for my Z29. [Dealextreme has them for dirt cheap IIRC]
    Last edited by Wasmachineman NL; 11-02-2012 at 11:23 AM.

  9. #2734
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by NorCal Clyde View Post
    If I should stay with a suspension fork, what is a good one for a rider of about 300lbs?
    Manitou's are good clydesdale forks, look in the shocks and suspension forum for info.

  10. #2735
    Master Shredder
    Reputation: mk.ultra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    Where did you find them?
    pricepoint.com was the only place I could find them

    Quote Originally Posted by Wasmachineman NL View Post
    mk.ultra, Hows the Tioga saddle? If its comfortable I'll buy one for my Z29. [Dealextreme has them for dirt cheap IIRC]
    it's less comfortable than my stock WTB Pure V Sport, but it's bearable. If you go on 1 hour+ rides idk if I could recommend it. dealextreme has some for $76 but i got mine on ebay for $45 shipped. I never go on long rides so its fine for me, and 200 g lighter than my stock seat.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

  11. #2736
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBerNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    202
    Those Tioga saddle's are sweet

  12. #2737
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by jwor620 View Post
    Newbie here, I started out making the same mistake many do. I picked up a cheapie box store bike. Road it twice and realized it was going to be a widow maker. I found a Gary Fisher HiFi Plus at the local bike shop. Fit was great, the service was excellent and the first two rides...... outstanding. I see now why everyone says get the "Better quality bikes used from your LBS". You are absolutely right. It was day and night difference. Shamefully admitting this since, I have ridden a road bike for years. I did buy a box store bike to start there as well, however that proved to be a good experience. I got a ton of miles of road riding out of that bike with no trouble. When I went to a Trek road bike, it was amazing the difference in the ride quality. Short version is, I should have known better than to take a cheapie on the trails.
    I like this bike. Would this HiFi be a big upgrade from a Trek 3500. I sold it so I can buy an upgrade. I felt the 3500 was gonna break some day.

  13. #2738
    Very green
    Reputation: Anrkist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11

    This is my rig

    This is mine, a 2009 Fuji Nevada 4.0. Upgrades so far are Kenda Nevegals, Oury grips, Bontrager saddle (got it with some massive comfort bike seat), all new cables, shorter/taller stem, and an RST Gila T9 100mm travel fork coming in this week to replace the Suntour 50mm travel on it now.

    I got the Fuji for $160 at a pawn shop after talking them down some. I was looking for a Specialized Hardrock or similar, but couldn't find one under $250 and they still needed stuff. I like my Fuji, though; it's different, but not in a bad way, and it withstood my first jump yesterday - a whopping 1.5- or 2-foot berm, lol - and then my fifth and sixth jumps as I went back and did it again and again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-p1000788.jpg  


  14. #2739
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    23
    My Quake 7.3 with a couple upgrades.


  15. #2740
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MTBerNick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    202
    Very nice

  16. #2741
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by JFaur View Post
    The 2009 specialized i got for $320 and the 2012 Revel 1 i got for $220, both local from craigslist. No upgrades on any yet aside for grips. 1st upgrade will prob be the suntour fork on the revel and then brakes.
    I looked at a Revel 1 as well but the owner wanted more money. $220 seems fair since that's a pretty nice bike to start with.

  17. #2742
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    11

    2009 Gary Fisher Wahoo Disc

    I recently upgraded the saddle (WTB Pure V), pedals (Wellgo MG-1), Kenda Nevegal 2.1 (rear) and 2.35 (front Stick-E), brakes (Avid BB-7) and added an Avid 185mm front rotor. Debating on swapping out the fork... the stock one has taken a nice beating over the last 3 yrs and never performed well in the first place!

    Any suggestions on a 26", 100mm travel G2 geometry fork that would be a nice upgrade? I've searched online everywhere and I'm stumped! There are tons of G2s for 29ers... none for 26ers it seems.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-2009-gf-wahoo-disc.jpg  


  18. #2743
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    11
    ...and my Venustus is in the background checking out the GF!!! Haha... just noticed this.

  19. #2744
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JosephTX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8
    2011 Motobecane Fantom Trail DS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-20121017_211905.jpg  


  20. #2745
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    12

    ... and if we just ...

    So I picked up this second hand Trek Bruiser One a few weeks ago for a very decent cheap price. My Kona got stolen a while back, so needed to get some wheels again.

    2002 model I think - pretty rugged bike. Rigid forks are fun

    Since I took this pic I've given it new grips, 8-speed rear cassette, serviced the rear hub and some general TLC. It rides well so no complaints at all!


  21. #2746
    see me rollin, they hatin
    Reputation: NicoleB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    5,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Anrkist View Post
    This is mine, a 2009 Fuji Nevada 4.0. Upgrades so far are Kenda Nevegals, Oury grips, Bontrager saddle (got it with some massive comfort bike seat), all new cables, shorter/taller stem, and an RST Gila T9 100mm travel fork coming in this week to replace the Suntour 50mm travel on it now.

    I got the Fuji for $160 at a pawn shop after talking them down some. I was looking for a Specialized Hardrock or similar, but couldn't find one under $250 and they still needed stuff. I like my Fuji, though; it's different, but not in a bad way, and it withstood my first jump yesterday - a whopping 1.5- or 2-foot berm, lol - and then my fifth and sixth jumps as I went back and did it again and again.
    Hey there, it may be too late, but you should ask and make sure that you can use a 100mm fork to replace a 50mm (ask the suspension forum) i only say that because i was told going 20mm higher is ok, but anything above that can change the geometry and cause stress on the headtube, possibly snapping it. i dont know a ton on the subject, but other people do. They may suggest you using an 80mm fork. just lettin ya know!
    fap

  22. #2747
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lupob6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    131
    I like that bruiser a lot nice bike

  23. #2748
    lets ride
    Reputation: hazmatt480's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    24

    my "entry" level bike

    Picked up my 2010 Scott Scale 29er off CG for a steal at $600 with no defects, came with egg beaters but I took them off and replaced them with some grippy specialized platform pedals. My shins look horrible, but i like being able to dump the bike when I have to. What do you think? Already has 180 Avid elixir 5 up front, 160 in the back. Rock Shox Reba SL with remote lock. this bike is so light and nimble that I don't think I'll have to buy a new bike until this one breaks in half!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  24. #2749
    Very green
    Reputation: Anrkist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    Hey there, it may be too late, but you should ask and make sure that you can use a 100mm fork to replace a 50mm (ask the suspension forum) i only say that because i was told going 20mm higher is ok, but anything above that can change the geometry and cause stress on the headtube, possibly snapping it. i dont know a ton on the subject, but other people do. They may suggest you using an 80mm fork. just lettin ya know!
    Thanks for the tip But Fuji also put in 80mm forks on the same frame, so 100mm is not a stretch, I think.

  25. #2750
    I <3 dirt
    Reputation: Ilikemtb999's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,325
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmatt480 View Post
    Picked up my 2010 Scott Scale 29er off CG for a steal at $600 with no defects, came with egg beaters but I took them off and replaced them with some grippy specialized platform pedals. My shins look horrible, but i like being able to dump the bike when I have to. What do you think? Already has 180 Avid elixir 5 up front, 160 in the back. Rock Shox Reba SL with remote lock. this bike is so light and nimble that I don't think I'll have to buy a new bike until this one breaks in half!!!
    Steal and a half! Nice bike especially for $600!

    What's CG?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •