1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 105 of 132 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,625 of 3279
    Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by warrior737 View Post
    I was working on my bike last night. I just installed a new x fusion rlz oz shock with lock out. It has .5" more travel than the previous old fox coil shock.

Shes deffinelty getting pretty.
    Geez, what size frame do you have there ? And I hope you didn't changed the eye to eye length of the rear shock otherwise you'll throw the i-drive suspension out of whack and off balance. And you mentioned a 140mm fork coming up ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    My Windsor Cliff 29er from BikesDirect.com, I got at the beginning of the Summer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerpindicular View Post
    nice was gonna ask if your were gonna sell your old one then remember yours is a 29er
    you can make a hybrid.....29/26er

on a side note I do have some brake pads for you though
    '12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    '13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    May 2012
    My new Airborne Guardian

Only upgrades so far are VP components pedals
    I do have a lizard skins chain stay protector on the way as well as a quick release seat post clamp.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Yeah, I'd be interested to see them. While the package already got home, I'm not going back home actually for 2-3 more weeks, so I'll ask my brother to take pictures. If those rotors ain't good, I'll just return the thing and ask for refund. Same for the pads. That's the magic of eBay; never know what you're actually buying

Thanks man

Btw your Yakuza turned out... kinda unexpected lol. I wasn't hoping for that red flashy, but I still easily see the uber steep HT angle... How much travel you put in the front ? I was thinking about making a custom angleset to gain a few degrees and maybe offset shock mounting hardware too. It's so technical trails around here I have a hell of a time going down drops and stuff, even worst at low speed in twitchy rocks. But for jumping around, that's fun.

ill get some pix of the rotors and pads tonight, the HT angle looks pretty steep in that one pix, because the angle i took the shot, and the bar is actually turned a bit. ill measure the actual angle later too, see how it turn out with a shorter shock and 170mm travel fork , i just bought a 160mm uturn domain. it will change the angle too

just measured the HT angle , with 8.5 ete shock and 170mm fork, its at 65
    Last edited by akacoke; 09-21-2012 at 07:47 PM.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Glad to be part of the forum, here's my stock 2012 4300.

Any suggestions on future upgrades would be noted, thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-my-ride-1024x768-.jpg  

see me rollin, they hatin
    ^ they'll all tell you to take those reflectors off
    i'd suggest raising that saddle and getting the plastic pedals off (get some pinned bmx flats at least. so you dont slip off)
    fap

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Stock clamp got really weak when the shim got thin. Shouldn't have issues with this one.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    ill get some pix of the rotors and pads tonight, the HT angle looks pretty steep in that one pix, because the angle i took the shot, and the bar is actually turned a bit. ill measure the actual angle later too, see how it turn out with a shorter shock and 170mm travel fork , i just bought a 160mm uturn domain. it will change the angle too

just measured the HT angle , with 8.5 ete shock and 170mm fork, its at 65
    Damn that's sweet... Wish mine was that slack. I think the stock setup with 8.75 shock and 150mm fork gives about 69 or so...

I ask my brother about the rotors and pads he got, and he said they seem to be like any other pads/rotors we have... They were purchased on eBay, but not from Fibica, from another store I don't remember the name, I'll have to check and get back to ya.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Damn that's sweet... Wish mine was that slack. I think the stock setup with 8.75 shock and 150mm fork gives about 69 or so...

I ask my brother about the rotors and pads he got, and he said they seem to be like any other pads/rotors we have... They were purchased on eBay, but not from Fibica, from another store I don't remember the name, I'll have to check and get back to ya.
    too bad i didnt measure the HTA with stock shock. with the current set up , the bike feels slower/harder to turn for low speed tight corners, feels better, more stable around high speed corner . i didnt notice that much of a difference for climbing

im glad your stuff is legit. i dont know if you got G3 or HS1. if there is no production date on G3 , its definitely fake. as for the fake HS1, the print of words are bold , messy and its like painted on there. the real ones with markings neat and thin, looks more like laser etched .

the surface finish on the fake one has deep/one way cuts just like tektro rotors, they dont stop as good as the real ones. requires a lot of break in time. its not that hard to tell them apart for me .

here is couple pix of fake HS1 rotors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-p9210171.jpg  

Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-p9210175.jpg  

Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-p9210170.jpg  

08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    i'd suggest raising that saddle and getting the plastic pedals off (get some pinned bmx flats at least. so you dont slip off)
    I would have taken the reflectors off but I like riding at night through the neighborhood with the family and I don't trust the local drivers! Hahaha

Yeah the saddle is lowered a little bit because I let a shorter buddy check it out and the pedals are actually alloy Wellgos. Not the greatest pedals but not the worst either. All in all, with my limited knowledge of other brands, levels, and parts, I think the 4300 is very good for both street and trails. The best part is that I didn't have to take out a loan to buy it and that's what the entry level bike is all about!

Huckin' trails
    too bad i didnt measure the HTA with stock shock. with the current set up , the bike feels slower/harder to turn for low speed tight corners, feels better, more stable around high speed corner . i didnt notice that much of a difference for climbing

im glad your stuff is legit. i dont know if you got G3 or HS1. if there is no production date on G3 , its definitely fake. as for the fake HS1, the print of words are bold , messy and its like painted on there. the real ones with markings neat and thin, looks more like laser etched .

the surface finish on the fake one has deep/one way cuts just like tektro rotors, they dont stop as good as the real ones. requires a lot of break in time. its not that hard to tell them apart for me .

here is couple pix of fake HS1 rotors
    Well I don't know yet if the rotors are legit or not. They are 160 HS1. I'll have my brother compare them to what you gave me here. Thanks for the info

Mine at 150 isn't that bad for urban assault and goofing around stairways and such, but as soon as you hit the trails it's a real ***** to climb and pig to control on low speed technical stuff, even worst if you try to just bomb through. I guess my skills also play a lot, but I demo'd a 2006 RM Slayer SXC 30 that has similar specs (including the same fork) and geo, but a bit slacker and more progressive rear travel with air shock and on the exact same trails and climbs it was a lot faster climbing and more confident and better handling in both low and moderate high speed gnar.

But climbing still gonna suck no matter what

mtbr member
    Well I don't know yet if the rotors are legit or not. They are 160 HS1. I'll have my brother compare them to what you gave me here. Thanks for the info

Mine at 150 isn't that bad for urban assault and goofing around stairways and such, but as soon as you hit the trails it's a real ***** to climb and pig to control on low speed technical stuff, even worst if you try to just bomb through. I guess my skills also play a lot, but I demo'd a 2006 RM Slayer SXC 30 that has similar specs (including the same fork) and geo, but a bit slacker and more progressive rear travel with air shock and on the exact same trails and climbs it was a lot faster climbing and more confident and better handling in both low and moderate high speed gnar.

But climbing still gonna suck no matter what

i think corner ability has a lot to do with braking and weight shifting. by no means im a pro or anything close. im still a noob. but watching those DH video. i always see pro racers drift thru the corners, also switch the body by a lot. i dont know about your yakuza, it feels like mine has a fairly high BB, that might be the reason it corners slow. i have no other comparison beside my previous HTs. i got some minitou swinger 4 way shock and a domain, once they are installed , i will report the ride change.

the fake rotors i posted are the most common ones in the market, but there are several others. just keep in mind the real rotor weight within 1-2 grams differences. fake ones weight all over the place. like i said, there is no other ways to order bulk avid rotors but ordering 100 thousand at once. otherwise, its gotta be the retail ones ordered from taiwan . the cost for those is more than what they sell them for, i never bought from them off ebay, but i can almost be sure, that they are not real. as for the pads, id look at minor details, my people in china told me the fake pads looks the same as real. unless the BB7s are sealed in sram tape , they wouldnt even trust it.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    I'm an ex-department store rider that finally got a grip. I did a lot of researching before buying my first "real" bike, and I'm extremely happy with my choice, the 2013 Trek Mamba. I've had it for about four days and have put about 60 miles on it on/off the road. I've never ridden a 29er before this one, but I'm so glad I opted for one.

You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    sweet bikes!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I am very new to mountain biking and this is my first bike other then a bmx bike from when I was young. don't mind the mess in the background my house is under construction.

2011 Cannondale Women's Trail SL3

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Trav_Rad View Post
    My Windsor Cliff 29er from BikesDirect.com, I got at the beginning of the Summer.

Man that look like a fun place to ride

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Yep, ditch the reflectors and get some pedals. With the stock pedals, my foot seemed to love flying off when hitting roots going uphill.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    got bored. I'm pretty sure this is more of a down grade than an upgrade. wahoo 26er with marlin 29er fork and front wheel. This was my first mtn bike and it makes my right (bad) knee hurt after a few miles no matter how I set it up. I've just been playing with it, sticking random parts on seeing how they change the handling.

Huckin' trails
    i think corner ability has a lot to do with braking and weight shifting. by no means im a pro or anything close. im still a noob. but watching those DH video. i always see pro racers drift thru the corners, also switch the body by a lot. i dont know about your yakuza, it feels like mine has a fairly high BB, that might be the reason it corners slow. i have no other comparison beside my previous HTs. i got some minitou swinger 4 way shock and a domain, once they are installed , i will report the ride change.

the fake rotors i posted are the most common ones in the market, but there are several others. just keep in mind the real rotor weight within 1-2 grams differences. fake ones weight all over the place. like i said, there is no other ways to order bulk avid rotors but ordering 100 thousand at once. otherwise, its gotta be the retail ones ordered from taiwan . the cost for those is more than what they sell them for, i never bought from them off ebay, but i can almost be sure, that they are not real. as for the pads, id look at minor details, my people in china told me the fake pads looks the same as real. unless the BB7s are sealed in sram tape , they wouldnt even trust it.
    Mine also felt like my BB is way high in the sky compared to other bikes I ride. I tried that bike on World Cup DH tracks and with 150mm fork, you have to be a hell of a guy to actually go fast. I was always on the brakes coz I could manage the drops and tight rooty switchbacks at DH speed. Plus I'm no mean a DH rider too and that's not a DH bike. I'd like to switch the frame with a AM one, so I'll stick to it as is till I get enough money for the new frame. But I'm interested to hear more about this bike and the ways to tune it.

The rotors sells for no less than $20 each for 160mm right from the distributor, so unless they order as a distributor, it's odd they can sell them $10 each and still be in business. I'll double-check them and let you know. The pads, I don't have a clue since I didn't saw them at all yet. Will only be back home in 2 weeks, now I'm in the back-country with my girl

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I just upgraded to these pedals.

Last edited by Methodical; 09-25-2012 at 06:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Mine also felt like my BB is way high in the sky compared to other bikes I ride. I tried that bike on World Cup DH tracks and with 150mm fork, you have to be a hell of a guy to actually go fast. I was always on the brakes coz I could manage the drops and tight rooty switchbacks at DH speed. Plus I'm no mean a DH rider too and that's not a DH bike. I'd like to switch the frame with a AM one, so I'll stick to it as is till I get enough money for the new frame. But I'm interested to hear more about this bike and the ways to tune it.

The rotors sells for no less than $20 each for 160mm right from the distributor, so unless they order as a distributor, it's odd they can sell them $10 each and still be in business. I'll double-check them and let you know. The pads, I don't have a clue since I didn't saw them at all yet. Will only be back home in 2 weeks, now I'm in the back-country with my girl
    i think the yakuza is supposed to be a DH/FR bike, unfortunately the geo is not very forgiving for noob like me. but its all good for me, im not doing anything crazy on it as im still learning a lot on riding. some point in the future i will probably switch the frame to intense Uzzi or devinci Wilson. at this point i just wanna play with the settings see how everything effect the bike.

the price you mentioned is perfectly right, but dealing with manufacturers you can buy large quantity at good price. the distributors in US have some OEM stuffs for cheap, but its definitely not as cheap as buying from the factory/distributors in Asia. most Chinese ebay sellers are in for a quick buck, they really dont care if their stuffs are legit or not.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Not bad for $200

Unfortunately the rear wheel is in pieces right now :/
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1348677365.121302.jpg

1st MTB, really psyched to get it out this weekend!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    my 1993 specialized stumpjumper fs with a rockshox sid. I refused to get rid of this bike.