1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 104 of 132 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 114 ... LastLast
Results 2,576 to 2,600 of 3288
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I just picked this one up this evening. It's a bit scratched up but it's an upgrade from my cheapy Pacific bike. Saw it on CL and thought I don't have much to lose. The guy I bought it from said it was two years old but I don't know much more about it. If anyone know please enlighten me.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-uploadfromtaptalk1347935561467.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Here is my first real mtb, '12 Giant Talon 29er 1. I've been riding a Giant Roam 1 for recreation before I got this. I think the first upgrades will be the pedals and seat!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVirtualDude View Post
    I just picked this one up this evening. It's a bit scratched up but it's an upgrade from my cheapy Pacific bike. Saw it on CL and thought I don't have much to lose. The guy I bought it from said it was two years old but I don't know much more about it. If anyone know please enlighten me.

by the color and frame design, it looks to be a 2004. heres the specs

BikePedia - 2004 Specialized Hardrock Sport Complete Bicycle

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    How could you tell this was an 04. The guy I bought it from said it was only two years old. I'm new at this so pardon my ignorance. Do you think it was worth the $80 I paid for it with the scratches?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How could you tell this was an 04. The guy I bought it from said it was only two years old. I'm new at this so pardon my ignorance. Do you think it was worth the $80 I paid for it with the scratches?

like I said, the frame design. If you search through the new years you'll see how they redesigned the frame. also companies tend to change colors on their bikes yearly. as far as picking it up for $80, I would have done that deal.

Jonesin'

$80 would have been a steal if it was a 2 year old Spec. But since its really 8-9 years old (the seller lied, or has the worlds worst sense of time, or its stolen) thats an ok price. It depends on condition. You could always take it to a bike shop and ask them if they think it needs anything and if they can get parts, and what they think its worth. If they give you bad news, take it back to the seller and throw it at him.

If we are talking scratches in the paint only, that is nothing to worry about. The frame won't rust (aluminum), and you'll scratch it more yourself.

Good luck and welcome!
    Never be the path of least resistance.

"You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel." -Simply Weasels

Bike Virgin
    Aug 2012
    This is actually my first bike(at 44). I had to share a bike with my 5 brothers growing up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Oh gosh. It so unfortunate that some people can be so dishonest. Even the mother of the kid said it was just a couple years ago. I guess it's also my carelessness to not have brought someone more experienced with me.

mtbr member
    This is an inspiring thread, in an odd way. I don't have my bike yet, but I'm going to my LBS tomorrow to order my 2013 Trek Mamba, which took a lot of researching and mind changing to actually settle on. It'll be my first "real" bike, but I've been tearing it up on department store bikes for quite some time. I look forward to posting up my pictures when I have the bike/proper amount of posts.
    Last edited by Tyler21; 09-17-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

mtbr member
    BB7's & HS1 Rotors
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1347963937.108707.jpg  

'12 Trek Marlin Signature Green
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
    Avid BB7's w/HS1 rotors
    ODI Rouge grips
    Sigma BC1009 computer

mtbr member
    ODI Rouge ATV grips. I work at a motorcycle dealership so I bought these instead of MTB grips at dealer cost and saved some money.

Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
    Avid BB7's w/HS1 rotors
    ODI Rouge grips
    Sigma BC1009 computer

mtbr member
    New stem, bar and grips.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-20120919_195222.jpg  

2014 Specialized Enduro S-Works
    2012 Specialized SJ FSR Elite
    2012 DB Scapegoat
    2012 Canfield Yelli Screamy 25.8lbs

Master Shredder
    Here's my newly upgraded 2011 GT Avalanche 3.0, AKA Gin & Tonic AKA G-Tank AKA Master Shredder:

New upgrades:
    Fork: Rockshox Recon Silver TK 2012
    Brakes: Avid BB7 2012
    Wheelset: Mavic Crossride UB Disc 2011
    Tires: WTB Weirwolf 2.1
    -also cut my seatpost to reduce a bit of weight

Old upgrades:
    Pedals: Blacklabel Gas Pedals
    Grips: Odi Longneck (Fluoro Yellow)
    Seat Clamp: Cannondale non-QR
    Chainstay Protector: Lizard Skins

This thing is now officially a beast.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_savage View Post
    BB7's & HS1 Rotors
    did you order these from modifiedbicycles or modifiedcomponents on ebay?

the bolt bag looks exactly like mine
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    15 Gravity Bullseye Monster
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

Huckin' trails
    ^^btw I ordered a set of 2 BB7, 160 HS1 rotors and such for $75 with shipping. Wish it was from your store though...
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    ^^btw I ordered a set of 2 BB7, 160 HS1 rotors and such for $75 with shipping. Wish it was from your store though...

no problem, i know fibica has cheap prices, they used to sell the BB7 with rotors for around $88 shipped, just couple months ago they dropped their price dramatically . the reason behind that is most the BB7s on the market in china now has aftermarket pads

also i can guarantee you, all the avid brand rotors ships from china is fake. my family run the biggest bicycle retail/distribution in mainland , they tell me the shady side of business, the only way to get authentic avid rotors in bulk is to order 100 thousand minimum each time , because the sram plant has to switch their entire production line for any rotor model you order.

if any one is interested i can post a few photos of the fake rotors and authentic pads.
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akacoke View Post
    did you order these from modifiedbicycles or modifiedcomponents on ebay?

the bolt bag looks exactly like mine
    I did. Modifiedbicycles and Modifiedcomponents.
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
    Avid BB7's w/HS1 rotors
    ODI Rouge grips
    Sigma BC1009 computer

All Play
    Sep 2012
    My 2013 Wahoo 29er with All Mountain aspirations.

Bontrager 70mm Stem
    Odi Ruffian Lock Ons
    DMR V8 Flats
    Origin 8 Saddle
    DIY Inner Tube Chainstay Protector

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjdunklee View Post
    My Iron Horse Warrior 5.0 that I bought from Rscycle.com. It has been a solid bike which has kept up with most of my friend's much more expensive rigs. Upgrades include:
    • Several Pounds of dust
    • Chunks of Colorado Rock
    • Many foreign objects stuck in chain
    Love the upgrades

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ky_savage View Post
    I did. Modifiedbicycles and Modifiedcomponents.
    cool, haha, im the seller, me and my girl runs both stores .
    08 Ironhorse Yakuza
    04 Santa Cruz V10
    04 Giant Simple

My craigslist for sale

mtbr member
    New fork

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-uploadfromtaptalk1348185151207.jpg  

'13 Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Gulf Blue/Orange

mtbr member
    cool, haha, im the seller, me and my girl runs both stores .
    Cool man! I'll be back for sure. Haha
    Avid Speed Dial 7 levers
    Avid BB7's w/HS1 rotors
    ODI Rouge grips
    Sigma BC1009 computer

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I posted this on the General Noob board but I wanted to post these picks here as well since this is my first mountain bike. I'm a long time roadie.

I built it up starting with the Specialized Rockhopper 29er Expert Frame. Added XTR shifters brakes and derailleur. The Fork is a Rock Shox Reba Team. The wheels are Stans Flows laced to Hope Pro II hubs. The rubber is Geax Saguaro.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-imag0095.jpg  

Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-imag0098.jpg  

Your Entry Level MTB (Pics and Upgrades)-imag0099.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpledesign View Post
    New fork

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    nice was gonna ask if your were gonna sell your old one then remember yours is a 29er
    If you have sex in a car with airbags....does that count as safe sex???

Huckin' trails
    no problem, i know fibica has cheap prices, they used to sell the BB7 with rotors for around $88 shipped, just couple months ago they dropped their price dramatically . the reason behind that is most the BB7s on the market in china now has aftermarket pads

also i can guarantee you, all the avid brand rotors ships from china is fake. my family run the biggest bicycle retail/distribution in mainland , they tell me the shady side of business, the only way to get authentic avid rotors in bulk is to order 100 thousand minimum each time , because the sram plant has to switch their entire production line for any rotor model you order.

if any one is interested i can post a few photos of the fake rotors and authentic pads.
    Yeah, I'd be interested to see them. While the package already got home, I'm not going back home actually for 2-3 more weeks, so I'll ask my brother to take pictures. If those rotors ain't good, I'll just return the thing and ask for refund. Same for the pads. That's the magic of eBay; never know what you're actually buying

Thanks man

Btw your Yakuza turned out... kinda unexpected lol. I wasn't hoping for that red flashy, but I still easily see the uber steep HT angle... How much travel you put in the front ? I was thinking about making a custom angleset to gain a few degrees and maybe offset shock mounting hardware too. It's so technical trails around here I have a hell of a time going down drops and stuff, even worst at low speed in twitchy rocks. But for jumping around, that's fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!