mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Yet another bike purchase question, help me pick one!

Hi all. mtbr newbie here. I have a bit of a conundrum that hopefully you all can helk resolve. First off, I would consider myself an intermediate rider, but my knowledge of bikes is zero. I have been using a friends bike for the past year. I ride every other day, trails, woods-making my own trails, etc... I have been riding a generic, dumpy full suspension bike.

I have in my garage a brand spanking new, never ridden, I think 2006 or 7, GT Outpost. I purchased this bike 3-4 years ago, new and never rode it. It is a hardtail, and has rim brakes, this is where my problem is.

The army is sending our family to Bamberg Germany, for the nex 3 years(at least). The outskirts of Bamberg are supposed to be extremely hilly, and the city has quite a few mountainous, different skill level bike trails around it. The time has come to stop using my friends generic, dumpy, retail giant store bike.

My problem is, do I sell or trade-in my new, never ridden GT Outpost hard-tail for a full suspension bike with disc brakes, or do I keep the GT, and start using it? I think a different bike with the full suspension would be beneficial in Bamberg, and with the hills, I know having disc brakes would be good. HOWEVER, My GT Outpost, although I never rode it, seems like a decent bike.

I went to the lbs, and they tried to sell me a few hard-backs, a Scott Aspect, Spec Hardrock, etc..... I also found a used full suspension Haro XLS for $500.00, that caught my eye.

My budget with the trading in of my GT would be in the 550-700 range.

So, should I keep my GT, or go for something new? I am not limiting my options to just what I named in my post, I am open to pretty much anyting.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!
    Last edited by jaystekan; 09-11-2011 at 04:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My first thought was, you can change girl friends but how can you dump a bike? How come you haven't ridden it before? Don't back away from the hard tail, you may like it better than a fs.

I would get busy with the GT and determine if the hard tail is what you want.

JRA
    Personally, I would sell the GT and find a new bike. I looked up the spec of the 07 on Bikepedia and it is equal to or not much better than today's department store bikes. If you are going to continue to ride as much as you are now, you will blow through the GT's components right fast.

Have you considered buying a new bike in Germany? If you buy new here, you may have an issue with warranty service in Germany. Just a thought.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

Fat-tired Roadie
    For $700, the only full-suspension disc bikes you can get are going to be garbage.

The Outpost doesn't have a particularly good build. Shipping bikes is a pain, although I understand the army is pretty nice to its soldiers about shipping things, so this may not apply to you.

Anyway, I think your best course of action is to sell the GT now and buy something with Euros when you get to Germany.

I've seen Focus cited as a really good value brand in Europe. So I'd definitely do some more research there. And, check out the other options carried by German bike shops.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks all for the insight. The outpost was/is a nice bike. I never rode it because I was using a friends Dumper bike and so mine sat. I don't want to use it now because, while the resale/trade value may be minimal, the second I drop it on the trail, the resale value plummets. With the hills and valleys in bamberg, I think I need disc brakes and a full suspension, the outpost just doesn't have that. I am thinking even a lower end full susp, disd brake bike would be better suited for the German country side than the outpost. I was thinking of buying one there, but I won't have my car there for up to a month after I get there. If I get a bike here, the army ships it free and it gets there almost immediately. The first few weeks in country are hectic with in-processing, classes, brifings, so getting to a bike shop, even finding aa bike shop would be a pain. I am seriously thinking of the used haro xls, and am scouring ebay and craigs, but the advice in here is awesome. I may just have to settle for a hardtail. Even then, I don't know what tto get

Fat-tired Roadie
    You don't need full suspension to ride a mountain bike on mountains. New, a $700 FS is garbage and the rear suspension will actually be counter productive - it'll make the bike perform worse on off-road terrain, not better. A rider with some skill can do all the same things on a hardtail, and they still dominate XC and marathon racing.

The used Haro, I dunno. Pretty decent FS bikes can run $700 used.

Get the specifics on the Haro. Check out bikepedia.com for specifications and old MSRPs on production bikes as far back as the mid-90s. FS bikes are sometimes not a great proposition used - some models had problems with breakage, and there are a lot more parts that have to be maintained. On the other hand, if it's a bike that was generally pretty sturdy and a linkage that worked well, they can be a kickass value.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    So, maybe a fs is out of the picture. Thanks, you all are a wealth of knowledge. Bikes are one of the many things I am clueless about. I like cutting my own trails, I ride firebreaks, straight through the woods, and soon, lots of hill riding in bamberg(there is even a bike trail that goes from beergarden to beergarden), so I was hoping for a fs to cut the bouncing just a bit. Maybe a 29er is in order then since full susp is going to out price me.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Could you sell the GT on CL or somewhere and get one of these?

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._20000__400327

It's not FS, but 29" wheels are the next best thing IMHO, and it will be a much better bike than the GT Outpost.

I'm no Outpost hater. I still have my 1996 GT Outpost and have ridden other newer ones over the years. They are a very entry level MTB. Any FS bike you get with your budget (aside from finding what basically amounts to a 'steal') is not going to be a great bike. It will have very low end components and less than wonderful suspension parts.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I rode a 29er on trails the other day. I was impressed.

It's not the same as full suspension. Actually, I liked it a lot better. The wheels do give a smoother ride, and while they don't absorb hits, 29ers also don't have pedal bob.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Great, a 29er it is. Now onto which one. I am trying to stay in the 5_7 range as i have 3 kids and a move to Germany coming up. I looked at motobecane, airborne, the access prowler is a bit out of my price range, Diamondback, but I am clueless.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Are you looking at the Access Prowler because you have a Performance Bike near you?

If so, also check out the GT Karakorum, Access XCL, and Fuji Nevada models in your price range. I think I like the spec. on the Access XCL 9.5 a little better, but it's not a huge difference and fit is much more important. You're not likely to like the way all three bikes feel to ride.

IMO, it's best to buy locally if at all possible - test riding is huge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Well thanks everyone for your help. I went back to the bike shop today with a lot more knowledge than last time thanks to this forum. I ended up test riding and buying a Cannondale 29er. It wa torn between the Cannondale and a Giant 29er. Since I am moving to Germany an Cannondale is bigger in Europe than Giant is and since they both had the same features and price I went with Cannondale. Resale value will be more, service will be easier, etc... Thanks again for all your help. She come home Friday from the shop.