1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

And yet... another bike info thread

I'm a noob returning to MTB after a 12 year absence. I'm buying a new bike and I'm interested in you guys opinions. I'm torn between:

- Cannondale Trail 5
    - Trek 4300

- Cannondale Trail 29er 5
    - Trek Marlin w/ upgraded Elixir hydraulic brakes @ $780

I'm a 26 rider currently, so I'm not exactly sure what to think of the whole 29er effect. Yeah you can say go to the lbs and try it but the true test of knowing if you like it when you take an unfamiliar bike system into the trail a few times and see how it performs in your hands. Honestly I'm scared of testing the 29er, liking it on the lbs and taking it to the trail and hating it, then I'll have to sell it out and I'm out of a bike and money (if that makes any sense to you all).

Thanks in advance for all three help you can give me.

Raf

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    No input anyone? Well, I'm going to test ride them tonight after work. I was hoping on having some input from the communitty before I walked into the lbs to try them out. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for all the help you can give me.

Raf

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Don't worry too much about the 26/29 thing. It's all BS. Ride what YOU like which is obviously 26". You'll get more bang for the buck since marketing is pumping 29er in the publics brains. I started on a 29er hard tail and now have a 26er FS I wouldn't give up for the world. Well except for giants prototype 650b (just to confuse you more)
    Go 26 cus its what you know. Seems like your budget is under 1k which won't get much new from a shop. I would put that in a hard tail for sure if you're going new. Used is another story.

After you get back on the saddle consistently and fall in love again, then worry if 29er is your thing. You'll probably meet a bunch f peeps who'll let you try theirs out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Cool bro, I'm in love with the sport all over again. I started riding again in late Feb with a Motobecane 500HT a friend lend me. I feel is time to get my own and return his back. :-)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The 29er difference is noticeable to many riders. If you want a 26 HT get a used one off CL.
    Ride an X-Cal in and out of ditches and on the grass to get a feel. 2012 is better than 2013 because of the dual air Reba fork not the dumbed down solo.

Bikes with a Suntour 'x' fork are bike path rides.
    Suntour classes that fork as recreational and says this---

RTR: Recreational trail
    Work out with your buddies: No rough terrain, no steep climbs or downhills! Just floating along the city river or through the forest behind your house.

There is an upgrade thread in this section.
    If you want to upgrade your Suntour fork
    2014 Raidon air is now 189.

mtbr member
    So between the 2 26 which you guys would recommend?

Between the 2 29 which you guys would recommend?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Marlin has good geo, same frame as the X-Cal, Cobia and Mamba. Short chainstay and slack head tube angle will be more stable on fast downhills and railing turns. It needs a better fork for the fun trails with rocks and roots. Avid hydros are not getting good reviews. Shimano SLX or XT is the upgrade. 80/wheel at bluesky. Check the brake section.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The Marlin has good geo, same frame as the X-Cal, Cobia and Mamba. Short chainstay and slack head tube angle will be more stable on fast downhills and railing turns. It needs a better fork for the fun trails with rocks and roots. Avid hydros are not getting good reviews. Shimano SLX or XT is the upgrade. 80/wheel at bluesky. Check the brake section.
    Thanks bro, finally someone who explains regarding what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rsaavedra View Post
    I wouldn't pay anything for an Elixir 'upgrade'. Get money off the bike by having them take them off and order these...
    BlueSkyCycling.com - Shimano SLX M675 IceTech Disc Brake w/ Adapter

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    do shops give discounts if you request to have them remove and keep components?
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rsaavedra View Post
    sorry I wasn't more help...

mtbr member

Re: And yet... another bike info thread

Quote Originally Posted by kikoraa View Post
    sorry I wasn't more help...
    Sorry if that came up abrasive, I meant on the tour of information I was looking for bike wise. I still find value in your comment though, so thanks for you response.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Happy Trails

Cannondale 29er. That is all. But don't take my word for it. These guys review bikes for a living...

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...3-29er12-45965