1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: on yer feet...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

on yer feet...

I've heard that running shoes are worthless as cycling shoes. What are your ideas when it comes to footwear?? I mean, I'm just not willing to fork out 100+ for friggin shoes! Never did it when I played ball nor will I begin to now. Its stupid but thats just my .02 cents.

Now what??

Double-metric mtb man
    I shopped around for a good deal and got proper cycling shoes (and then went clipless with them later) for $35. Just shop around...you don't need the top of the line, just something that works for you. If you're willing to wait, there are always end of season sales too.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

El Pollo Diablo
    I ride in either 'real' biking shoes, or in Vans.
    Skate shoes are popular with the urban/DJ and DH crowd, can find em anywhere
    (Vans see much more trail time than my biking shoes/clipless pedals)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you don't use clipless pedals wear what's comfortable.

As for being cheap with your footwear that's up to you, but seeing as they are your only contact to mother earth and the preferred mode of transportation when all else fails it would be prudent to take care of your feet and cheap footwear won't do that. There are many really good shoes of all types for under $100.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have already figured, that everything marketed for cycling specifically, is way more expensive than just regular gear you may easily use. So, if you don't use clipless, it is worth to look elsewhere, not just at bike shops.
    My biking shoes are actually old sport shoes on their last stop before trash bin. I see mountain biking as a dirty, sweaty, sometimes bloody business, so, in my opinion, there is no point in wearing shiny fine clothes/footwear. This attitude must be very common among old school Sovyet hikers/skiers/kayakers/bikers.
    This said, the shoes hold very well onto the platform pedals. They are lightweight, made of thin natural leather. Ventilation is good, soft sole convenient for using toes when pedaling. They don't seem to give lot of protection to my feet, but, over all these years of riding rocky trails, I have never had any problem/injury because of it(knocking on wood).
    The shoes were under 20$ in Russia, I replenish the stock from time to time.
    Last edited by xenon; 05-18-2007 at 03:09 AM.

I post too much.
    Skateboard shoes for me, comfy as hell, grippy, and they even look good too!

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    even if you're running platfroms, i wouldn't ride in running shoes, the soles are too flexy. some good skate shoes have stiffer soles that will likely grip better too. that said, if you want to go clipless, $60 or so will get you some shoes, and in the realm of biking $100 isn't that much to spend on shoes.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

...the wave won't brek
    Generally speaking the need for sport specific shoes is based on the need of the sport and the performance level of the rider.

I ride XC, I ride Clipless. I would not want to go back to toe clips again.

I know guys that down hill they all run flats on the DH bikes, but ride clipless on their XC bikes.

The desire for bike shoes comes form two things the desire to ride clipless and an understanding of physics.

The contact surface between the pedal and the foot is the only point in the power transfer form engine (rider) to the wheels of the bike. This also happens to be the weakest point in the drive train as well.

The power loss is due to many things which includes, but is not limited to, slippage of the foot on the pedal, slippage of the foot inside the shoe, and the greatest power thief of all, Flexing of the foot.

The Stiff biking shoe is designed to be much much more ridged then conventional shoes. This stiffness allows little flexing of the foot-pedal interface and makes riding more efficient

More efficient riding leads to greater enjoyment of the sport.

There are lost of bike shoes out there for reasonable amounts of money.

Go get a pair and ride them on flats for a bit, then make the jump to clipless.

I doubt you will regret it.

$59.00 (Canadian Dollars) MTB Shoes

So those would be approximately 20% cheaper in USD

Good Luck

A
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Thanks for all the input, and you all have valid arguements. Now I just hope that I can keep all of them in mind when I'm out scouring the land trying to find a pair of shoes that will fit my riding.

Right now I'm just sporting my regular x-training shoes which seem to be holding up pretty well. But I'm on the lookout....

local trails rider
    For cycling, you need a shoe with a stiff sole, meaning it is hard to bend the shoe. Just a few miles of easy pedaling in floppy shoes can make my feet ache pretty badly.

With flat pedals, soft rubber on the bottom of the shoe is good for staying on the pedals.

If using shoes with laces, figure out how to keep the laces away from the chainwheels. Having your laces get stuck between chain and chainwheel is not fun.