1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

XT vs XTR in terms of durability

How does Shimano XTR compare to XT in terms of durability?
    I head that XTR is not only lighter than the XT but it wears out much quicker than the XT !!
    Your comments are appreciated

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    if u are not any pro racer, stick with XT. and when i say XT i mean full brake set (including resin pads, rotors, specific mineral oil etc...). U can find them all in a Shimano XT manual

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Actually I'm buying a bike from bikesdirect... My concern is mainly for the durability.. xtr shimano bike vs xt bike, in addition I'm not a pro racer...
    plus or minus 2 pounds is not an issue as long as durability is more guaranteed.

College Boy
    I have always viewed XT as more durable than XTR.
    My under standing is XTR sacrifices durability to reduce weight but XTR is high end racing.

mtbr member
    Generally speaking, they should be about the same durability wise, XTR uses more expensive materials and construction to get lighter weight at the same or greater strength. My experience having both (current versions) XT and XTR equipped bikes is that some xtr parts like the cranks are noticeably stiffer, and that the higher grade bushings in the derailleurs and shifters seem to last longer. Brakes wise, there isn't a ton of difference in braking quality or weight between XT and XTR in the new models, long term durability (for me) is still unknown.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Exercise some caution in buying from bikesdirect - give the spec a really close read. They're often very optimistic in the spec level they assign to their bikes.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I've owned plenty of both and you can't go wrong with either. XTR is not weaker. It's just as durable but lighter and more refined. Is it worth the extra money? That's up to you to decide.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    Generally speaking, they should be about the same durability wise, XTR uses more expensive materials and construction to get lighter weight at the same or greater strength. My experience having both (current versions) XT and XTR equipped bikes is that some xtr parts like the cranks are noticeably stiffer, and that the higher grade bushings in the derailleurs and shifters seem to last longer. Brakes wise, there isn't a ton of difference in braking quality or weight between XT and XTR in the new models, long term durability (for me) is still unknown.
    There's your best advice. Both are roughly equivalent in durability but XTR has to jump through hoops to get it light and durable which is why it costs so much.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakkoush View Post
    I head that XTR is not only lighter than the XT but it wears out much quicker than the XT !!
    For what it's worth, XTR is covered under warranty for 3 years, while XT is only covered for 2 years.

Anti-elitist
    Sep 2012
    I've heard that there's XTR Trail and XTR race. Race wears out very quickly, but is the lightest of all.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    that's what I'm also aware of...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakkoush View Post
    XTR is the lightest stuff they make. However being light does not mean durable. If you are serious racer you need light weight stuff and can always have your team bike mechanic replace parts between the races. XT is my vote for the best balance between performance, weight, durability, and of course cost.

Unless you really need XTR weight savings stick with XT.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    I've heard that there's XTR Trail and XTR race. Race wears out very quickly, but is the lightest of all.
    I'd stop saying things "wear out" because it's simply not accurate. Nothing Shimano makes is disposable, well not at the top end of the spectrum. XTR trail stuff is made to be more durable and more functional on so called trail bikes while XTR "race" stuff carries on the tradition that XTR has been known for over the years. It is untrue to say that XTR anything wears out quickly unless you had some data to back it up.

If anyone is truly worried about longevity then they should just go with XT and appease their skeptical soul.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Cow Clicker
    In the case of bikes direct, it doesn't matter. The wear items people are generally referring to are cassette, chain and chain rings, which are wear items and are all more expensive than XT - and do wear faster than XT. The Bikesdirect bikes do not use XTR, cassette, chain or chain rings. The only thing you get XTR are the derailleurs and shifters, which are the same durability as XT.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Cow Clicker
    And in the case of true full XT vs XTR comparison wheels and all, you're looking at $1k to save a pound. And double the cost to replace wear items.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Not related to the OP but thread related. I had an XTR rear derailleur on my cross bike for 9-10 years. One day it just stopped shifting. I'd say I got my money's worth out of it. None of my XT rear derailleurs have lasted more than five years. I would still say that's durable enough.

You really can't go wrong with either.

mtbr member
    This question was asked in the Beginner's Corner. Deore is plenty good enough for a "beginner Bike" SLX if you have a bigger wallet.

A common theme seems to be SLX offers the best compromise of cost/weight/performance.

Having a Full XT or XTR group set won't make you a better or faster rider (unless maybe you are an elite rider)
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

Beer Me!
    XT is a lot more bang for the buck. You can almost buy two XT components for one XTR component. I used to buy XTR and X0(sram) but now all I buy are XT and X9 as they are cheaper to replace, rebuild, etc.... with very similar performance.

Keep in mind that its a mountain bike, and unless your a weight weenie racer, rich, or get amazing deals, the higher the range, the less cost to performance benefits you see.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    I'd stop saying things "wear out" because it's simply not accurate. Nothing Shimano makes is disposable, well not at the top end of the spectrum. XTR trail stuff is made to be more durable and more functional on so called trail bikes while XTR "race" stuff carries on the tradition that XTR has been known for over the years. It is untrue to say that XTR anything wears out quickly unless you had some data to back it up.

If anyone is truly worried about longevity then they should just go with XT and appease their skeptical soul.

Just to clarify regarding XTR Trail vs XTR Race:

XTR Race isn't any less durable than XTR Trail, except maybe for the wheels. The weight difference comes from the cranks (double for Race, triple for Trail), and also a couple small features that are on XTR Trail, but left off of XTR Race to save weight. The brake levers on XTR Race are slightly smaller and they also lack the little lever adjustment knob that is found on XTR Trail levers. At the caliper end, XTR Trail pads have cooling fins, whereas the XTR Race calipers come with pads that don't have the cooling fins. Technically, the caliper is actually the same between XTR Race and XTR Trail. It's the pads that are different.

If you're counting pedals, the Trail pedals have a platform, whereas the Race pedals don't.

The derailleurs, shifters, and chains are all the same between the two groups, except I'm not sure if the front derailleurs are double or triple specific.

Again, I wouldn't worry too much about longevity, considering Shimano offers a longer warranty on XTR than they do the other groups.

Quote Originally Posted by Guerdonian View Post
    XT is a lot more bang for the buck. You can almost buy two XT components for one XTR component. I used to buy XTR and X0(sram) but now all I buy are XT and X9 as they are cheaper to replace, rebuild, etc.... with very similar performance.

Keep in mind that its a mountain bike, and unless your a weight weenie racer, rich, or get amazing deals, the higher the range, the less cost to performance benefits you see.
    This advice is spot on. I've spent loads of time on SLX, XT, and XTR and there isn't that much difference in performance. XT is by far the best bang for your buck.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post

^^^this

Durability is probably about the same. XTR performs better underload than its downline, you'd get better hill shifting than XT for sure. That said I don't know many XTR users who shift like that.

Wearing out parts is such a non issue as I'm still trying to wear out the pully on my XTR 951

XTR line are more for performance, ergonomic, weight, looks and obviously bling, but fast wear and durability is not the issue. If you crash and break a lever or derailleur it would be because of the crash not the component line.

Sent from my iPhone 4s using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Exercise some caution in buying from bikesdirect - give the spec a really close read. They're often very optimistic in the spec level they assign to their bikes.
    I can't stand when people make statements like this. The talk down about bikes direct for what spec level they call their bike but all one has to do is click on the bike and they give you a COMPLETE list of the parts on the bike. IT's not like they are trying to hide anything.

As someone else noted, generally with bikes direct the description usually means the shifters and deraileurs that you are getting. you typically get a 3rd party crank and then a lower spec cassette and chain. Also Brakes may leave something to be desired, but lets be honest, at the prices they are selling them for, they are very solid bikes.

T.W.O.
    Here we go again. Mr. My opinion is the fact. Go troll some other site or stay in bd's forum.

What you're gonna try to break my hands again?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Here we go again. Mr. My opinion is the fact. Go troll some other site or stay in bd's forum.

What you're gonna try to break my hands again?

What the **** is your problem? You are a punk. If you got a problem with my opinion, thats fine, but kindly present some kind of useful information to back yourself up instead of talking **** and stop taking this thread off topic. In this case, my opinon is a FACT. Bikes direct lists every part that goes onto their bikes. Nothing is being hidden. now go back to STFU.

official eMpTyBRain
    I've had a few different bikes built up with some of the parts from the last 3 generations (960, 970, 985) of XTR. Also used quite a bit of the last 3 gens of XT. All parts functioned smoothly and lasted long.

Either way, you won't be disappointed, it's all good.

My current bike has a combo of XTR/XT and it's great, too.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by ambassadorhawg View Post
    I've had a few different bikes built up with some of the parts from the last 3 generations (960, 970, 985) of XTR. Also used quite a bit of the last 3 gens of XT. All parts functioned smoothly and lasted long.

Either way, you won't be disappointed, it's all good.

My current bike has a combo of XTR/XT and it's great, too.
    Yeah, unlike other brands top shelf XTR usually are not much lighter than XT, slx, etc. If you are looking for significant weight save, you may not find it. A combo XTR/XT perform really well. I have a XTR 970 dual lever that I switch the caliper to XT, couldn't be happier.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast