1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    I can't stand when people make statements like this. The talk down about bikes direct for what spec level they call their bike but all one has to do is click on the bike and they give you a COMPLETE list of the parts on the bike. IT's not like they are trying to hide anything.

As someone else noted, generally with bikes direct the description usually means the shifters and deraileurs that you are getting. you typically get a 3rd party crank and then a lower spec cassette and chain. Also Brakes may leave something to be desired, but lets be honest, at the prices they are selling them for, they are very solid bikes.
    What the **** is your problem? You are a punk. If you got a problem with my opinion, thats fine, but kindly present some kind of useful information to back yourself up instead of talking **** and stop taking this thread off topic. In this case, my opinon is a FACT. Bikes direct lists every part that goes onto their bikes. Nothing is being hidden. now go back to STFU.
    um no, thats not remotely close to the same thing he said. but I already know your reading comprehension completely sucks. keep on trolling the beginner forum Sandusky.
    lol, ummm okay. have another one
    whos the giver and who's the receiver in your relationship with mimi?
    stop polluting this guys threads with off topic posts. stop stalking me. Why don't you bring up the full context of that statement jackass. so I can prove myself right again.
    Helpful member? Kindly show me how he was of any value to the op in this thread. He doesn't like the fact a "newb" with 100posts has made him look silly by disproving his erroneous statements so he has a vendetta against me. Oh no, what shall i do?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yet there is soooo much value in these posts. Just stop. We get it. You like your Moto. No one cares. You're an internet bad ass. No one cares. In short, no one cares about you. Banhammer in 5. 4.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakkoush View Post
    How does Shimano XTR compare to XT in terms of durability?
    I head that XTR is not only lighter than the XT but it wears out much quicker than the XT !!
    Your comments are appreciated

A more salient point to durability is proper maintenance. Proper cleaning and lubrication can extend the lifespan by three or four fold. To address the original question, unless you have money in excess the XT level components could last longer but will cost far less to replace when you do wear them out. Bang for the buck.

Trail Prospector
    Wow, a new level of low for the Beginner's thread.
    Never felt the need, or had the $$ for XTR or XO.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyin_W View Post
    Wow, a new level of low for the Beginner's thread.
    Never felt the need, or had the $$ for XTR or XO.
    just because someone is a beginner doesn't mean they aren't gainfully employed. I see dr's and lawyers riding dura ace road bikes all the time. Whats 6k for a bike when you make 300k a year? A lot of people want the perceived "best of the best" without understanding that it's actually not the best for them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    Yet there is soooo much value in these posts. Just stop. We get it. You like your Moto. No one cares. You're an internet bad ass. No one cares. In short, no one cares about you. Banhammer in 5. 4.
    Sorry, you aren't aware of mimi's history with me and if you were you could see that he clearly decided to bring it into this thread for no reason whatsoever. I don't ride a motobecane mtb, but I wouldn't hesitate too. Tired of the snobs on here. no i'm not an internet bad ass, I'm a real life bad ass, but I'm also a smart one. see here in NYC, we mind our own business and people who don't mind their business end up getting hurt. You have nothing to do with this discussion between mimi and I so you stay out of it.

AZ
    banned
    just because someone is a beginner doesn't mean they aren't gainfully employed. I see dr's and lawyers riding dura ace road bikes all the time. Whats 6k for a bike when you make 300k a year? A lot of people want the perceived "best of the best" without understanding that it's actually not the best for them.

Just more ranting, how about some substance that addresses the question at hand? Please?

banned
    Sorry, you aren't aware of mimi's history with me and if you were you could see that he clearly decided to bring it into this thread for no reason whatsoever. I don't ride a motobecane mtb, but I wouldn't hesitate too. Tired of the snobs on here. no i'm not an internet bad ass, I'm a real life bad ass, but I'm also a smart one. see here in NYC, we mind our own business and people who don't mind their business end up getting hurt. You have nothing to do with this discussion between mimi and I so you stay out of it.

AH! Transparency. You simply come to this thread with an axe to grind. Ban Hammer please.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just more ranting, how about some substance that addresses the question at hand? Please?
    Ranting? really? A response that directly addresses another response about the issue at hand and you say I am ranting? WHile you decide to step in and critique my posts and offer no value. Stop harassing me. you wouldn't be man enough to do it in the real world so don't do it here.

OP, obviously this entire topic is very subjective and a number of factors come into play. For example, if you had the opportunity to get an XTR group for free vs paying for XT, you probably wouldn't say "gee xt is more durable so I'm gonna $XYZ for that group instead of taking the free XTR group" In my OPINION(can you haters read that? it's an opinion) people act like carbon is far more fragile than it is. Incidents that break carbon parts would probably damage aluminum and steel parts as well. Finally, it's all about business. XTR and DuraAce aren't expensive because of production costs. They may want you to think that but it's simply not true. It's all about having varying pricepoints for people to buy into . I'm not going to go overboard with how business run but we see this in all avenues of retail goods. Some people want luxury items just to say they have them and it's silly for a business not to produce them if they know people will pay a premium for them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by roadie scum View Post
    AH! Transparency. You simply come to this thread with an axe to grind. Ban Hammer please.
    see you are another one of those who lack basic reading comprehension. You accuse me of coming to the thread with an axe to grind, meanwhile I posted BEFORE mimi and HE came to the thread and started giving me a ration of ****? But why let facts get in the way of things. Maybe I'll call the mods in myself so they can take a look thru and see who is initiating the attacks. And lets add you to the list of people that have nothign to do with this and should butt out.

banned
    Maybe I'll call the mods in myself so they can take a look thru and see who is initiating the attacks.

Self Immolation. Awesome, please do.

Flow like water
    From pre-Internet forum times ...

FidoNet's basic social guideline, "Do not be excessively annoying and do not become excessively annoyed."

On-topic: I do not own any gear better than SLX, because I'm a cheapskate and a newbie. That gear works well for me.

If I bought a BD bike, I would obsess over the no-name components more than I would over the few name-brand bling components.

AZ
    banned
    Resorting to threats? How weak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XT vs XTR in terms of durability-capture-butt-hurt.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Race does not wear any more quickly. It just has slightly different features - like servo-wave in the brake.

In my experience XTR is more durable - bearings in shifters, better alloy on crankarms, better bushings in derailleur. But both are quite robust indeed.

As far as functionality, I only would pick XTR shifters, and cranks for the sole reason of 172.5mm option and narrower stance. If going for XT, I would rather pick SLX for cassette, cranks, brakes, and probably the new Zee for rear derailleur, as it has a short cage option (did not try it yet, but what could be wrong). SLX front derailleur for the double/short cage option.
    I believe that XTR Race does not have servo wave, but XTR Trail does.

Picture Unrelated
    A more salient point to durability is proper maintenance. Proper cleaning and lubrication can extend the lifespan by three or four fold. To address the original question, unless you have money in excess the XT level components could last longer but will cost far less to replace when you do wear them out. Bang for the buck.
    Absolutely a good point to bring some more focus to. Changing your changing your chain regularly, keeping it clean, keeping it lubed will all help lead to improved drivetrain life for any level components.

I think the main point is that there is a perceived design flaw in XTR that would make it less durable and for most items that is simply not true. Wheels might be a little race oriented leading them to be not as durable but that could be said of any race level wheel set. As (I believe) Keith Bontrager said: "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two." In the case of XTR, you can get strong and light because it's not cheap.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    cpfitness, mimi1885, AZ. MTNS, roadie scum (and whoever else might want to get in on the scrum) quit hijacking this thread. As a newbie I was hoping to find some worthwhile comments regarding the durability/value of XT vs XTR, but end up getting caught up in some pissing match. Please grow up and take your childish bickering elsewhere.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by drifter248 View Post
    cpfitness, mimi1885, AZ. MTNS, roadie scum (and whoever else might want to get in on the scrum) quit hijacking this thread. As a newbie I was hoping to find some worthwhile comments regarding the durability/value of XT vs XTR, but end up getting caught up in some pissing match. Please grow up and take your childish bickering elsewhere.

If you were more concerned with reading rather than trying (weakly) to be a tough guy, you would have learned something from this thread.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by heyyall View Post
    I've yet to wear something out that isn't supposed to wear out (e.g., chain) by pure use. Cleaning, maintenance and proper use means stuff will out last your interests in a bike.
    I've worn out a couple rear derailleurs, some shifters, a freehub...

It takes a really long time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    I've worn out a couple rear derailleurs, some shifters, a freehub...

It takes a really long time.
    Yup

I wore out an XTR RD, and an XTR FD took over 40,000 km and 7 years of long cold salty winter commuting.....shifters are still fine.

Pretty sure they would both be going strong if it wasn't for the winters.....

Both are still usable but not XTR shifting quality....the salt got into the bearings and they shift slow.

Beer Me!
    Usually the rivets on the pivots of the swing arm are the first to go for me on mountain RD's. Probably from being bashed a few to many times, or the more extreme circumstances that they see.

I have worn out some bearings and cogs on a couple road deraillurs but they saw probably over 10 to 20 thousand miles.
    My Bike: FORM Cycles Titanium Prevail 29er

"Any wheel size is better than sitting at a computer all day." -Myself

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum View Post
    ..Nothing Shimano makes is disposable, well not at the top end of the spectrum. ..
    actually - their M970 XTR Calipers (hydro) cannot be rebuilt....so when a seal blows the caliper is hosed...

I know...my front M970 blew in Downieville....3 days of 15 mile downhills and no front brake...

I'm a better technical rider now
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

Quote Originally Posted by drifter248 View Post
    good call Drifter....there's some solid info in this mess...

Back on topic - go with XT best bang for the buck IMO, but if you're excited by the high end components (and can afford them) you cannot go wrong with XTR...

I, myself, am a bike snob and enjoy the chi-chi bike bits...even though it doesn't make me any faster

Cow Clicker
    Hey Mr. Whoever you are: I'm glad you got my joke, but missed the humor.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

cpfitness.

chill.

no response necessary here - keep it to PM's.

Trail Prospector
    Simply amazing...
    Please, get back on the meds, or call someone for help - I'm concerned.
    Other than my not "feeling the need", where did I infer that anyone is economically-challenged?
    A "need" is not a "want". If you desire something, and can afford it -great, but do not try to profess that it is notably better,
    or that you can feel a difference.
    Back to topic:

When properly tuned & maintained one would be hard-pressed to tell the difference between SLX - XT- XTR. Except when purchasing a replacement.
    And any stick bigger than your pinkie can & will snap each of them equally quick.
    Have broken many hangers & rear der's, so when trails are leaf-covered, I tend to ride SS.
    The best is the one you want to ride most often..

Fat-tired Roadie
    Hard to tell from Deore too, without either reading the labels or a scale. Although I do have mostly LX and SLX.

We'll see if finishing my degree changes my mind. But I've pretty much standardized on a Deore rear derailleur for my two off-road bikes. They're cheaper when I break them.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast