1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 111
  1. #26
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    I can't stand when people make statements like this. The talk down about bikes direct for what spec level they call their bike but all one has to do is click on the bike and they give you a COMPLETE list of the parts on the bike. IT's not like they are trying to hide anything.

    As someone else noted, generally with bikes direct the description usually means the shifters and deraileurs that you are getting. you typically get a 3rd party crank and then a lower spec cassette and chain. Also Brakes may leave something to be desired, but lets be honest, at the prices they are selling them for, they are very solid bikes.
    Funny, you are saying the same thing Andrew said, yet you can't stand it.

  2. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Funny, you are saying the same thing Andrew said, yet you can't stand it.
    um no, thats not remotely close to the same thing he said. but I already know your reading comprehension completely sucks. keep on trolling the beginner forum Sandusky.

  3. #28
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    um no, thats not remotely close to the same thing he said. But i already know your reading comprehension completely sucks. Keep on trolling the beginner forum sandusky.
    wtf is wrong with you? I read what you wrote and it's disgusting - you should be ashamed of yourself. Listen here, do you have any idea who you are writing to?

    You are so lucky this is the internet and the worst thing we can do is reverse look up your ip address and give it our friends who run the internet!

    They are watching everywhere you go on the internet. I already know where you've been in the past half-hour. You are disgusting. I can only imagine the type of person you are. Who looks at that filth? My friends who run the internet are already tracking down your mom to give her your internet browser logs!

    You and your bike make me sick!
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  4. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    wtf is wrong with you? I read what you wrote and it's disgusting - you should be ashamed of yourself. Listen here, do you have any idea who you are writing to?

    You are so lucky this is the internet and the worst thing we can do is reverse look up your ip address and give it our friends who run the internet!

    They are watching everywhere you go on the internet. I already know where you've been in the past half-hour. You are disgusting. I can only imagine the type of person you are. Who looks at that filth? My friends who run the internet are already tracking down your mom to give her your internet browser logs!

    You and your bike make me sick!
    lol, ummm okay. have another one

  5. #30
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    Don't play dumb. We're watching you. Expect a call from your mom within the hour.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  6. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    877
    whos the giver and who's the receiver in your relationship with mimi?

  7. #32
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    Hey, watch it you off brand bike riding troll.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  8. #33
    T.W.O.
    Reputation: mimi1885's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,011
    This is what this genius think is a solution to pinch flat, go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    going tubeless is a $600 investment, putting proper amount of air in tires is free. this one is a no brainer
    what?? Get a clue.

  9. #34
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    Just to prove to you that my friends have taken control of your Internet, we found this picture of you and your friends in your iPhoto library:

    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  10. #35
    Anti-elitist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    409

    Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

    wmac, is that 4 real?

    Better log off... no place is safe.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

  11. #36
    Fat-tired Roadie
    Reputation: AndrwSwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    14,259
    This thread has gone a bit sideways.

    Quote Originally Posted by cpfitness View Post
    As someone else noted, generally with bikes direct the description usually means the shifters and deraileurs that you are getting. you typically get a 3rd party crank and then a lower spec cassette and chain. Also Brakes may leave something to be desired, but lets be honest, at the prices they are selling them for, they are very solid bikes.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

    On a bit of a tangent, I have a road bike I bought back in 2000. It was advertised as having 105 components. When I bought it, it had the shifters, derailleurs, crank, bottom bracket, brakes, hubs, I think even the cassette and chain. I don't think there was anything else offered in the 105 set at the time.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

  12. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    This is what this genius think is a solution to pinch flat, go figure.

    what?? Get a clue.
    stop polluting this guys threads with off topic posts. stop stalking me. Why don't you bring up the full context of that statement jackass. so I can prove myself right again.

  13. #38
    Anti-elitist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    409
    Anyhows, I think the verdict is that XT for "bang for your buck" and XTR for more longevity and less weight.
    But for a beginner, either is too much.
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

  14. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: voodoo5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    157
    To sum up, XTR is the best bang for your buck, XT is good for beginners, and X7 is a perfect balance.

  15. #40
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,746
    Quote Originally Posted by sauprankul View Post
    I've heard that there's XTR Trail and XTR race. Race wears out very quickly, but is the lightest of all.
    Race does not wear any more quickly. It just has slightly different features - like servo-wave in the brake.

    In my experience XTR is more durable - bearings in shifters, better alloy on crankarms, better bushings in derailleur. But both are quite robust indeed.

    As far as functionality, I only would pick XTR shifters, and cranks for the sole reason of 172.5mm option and narrower stance. If going for XT, I would rather pick SLX for cassette, cranks, brakes, and probably the new Zee for rear derailleur, as it has a short cage option (did not try it yet, but what could be wrong). SLX front derailleur for the double/short cage option.

  16. #41
    Cow Clicker
    Reputation: wmac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,349
    I think I own some of this confusion as a result of my Noob buyers guide. I re-read it and I see it can be interpreted as XTR race is less durable than trail and I was referring to the entire group to include wheels. I also made the statement that XTR wears out more quickly rhan other groups and is expensive to replace when I was referring to the chain rings, chain and cassette. I cannot edit it or make changes. I'm sorry.

    As for the OP, the fact of the matter is the question at hand is irrelevant because he is looking at a Bikesdirect bike and it doesn't have XT or XTR chain, chain rings or cassette or brakes for that matter.

    OP, it doesn't fvcking matter.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

  17. #42
    Anti-elitist
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    it doesn't fvcking matter.
    Just get the best bike you can afford.

    And here's the best XTR bike I could find.
    Front Derailleur XTR
    Rear Derailleur XTR
    Shifters XTR
    Cassette/Freewheel XT
    Chain KMC
    It's pronounced "so pro and cool."
    It was an impulse decision.

  18. #43
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,746
    Quote Originally Posted by wmac View Post
    As for the OP, the fact of the matter is the question at hand is irrelevant because he is looking at a Bikesdirect bike and it doesn't have XT or XTR chain, chain rings or cassette or brakes for that matter.
    Yes, first thing on my bikesdirect bike that had to go had been horrible Avid Ultimate brakes. And I also sold carbon FSA crankset and replaced with XTR for less money I sold FSA for. This bike is now with Formula RX brakes, but 2012 XT brakes are the best brakes ever. KMC chain is good.

    Great deal anyway.

  19. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    962
    Wow this thread is worse than the 29er forums: Nazi salutes, slurs on maternal relationships... in the normally laid back beginners corner ...my god what is the world coming to.
    My two pennies worth...
    I ride 9 speed XT with 9 speed XTR shifters, I am a reasonably experienced XC rider \ tourer \ bikepacker \ amateur racer - it's more than good enough for me. Unless money is no object I would go with Deore, SLX or XT, you won't notice the difference until you develop your fitness and skills.
    I had an M970 XTR RD once and it lasted three rides before I kopped a trail snake and smashed the carbon cage- if it had been a Al cage XT or SLX cage RD it would still have been toast I think - but it damn near broke my heart to waste $200 or whatever it cost so I stick to XT these days.
    Don't know how your skills are, but as a beginner, if like me, you are very likely to crash and break stuff regardless of 'durability', worth bearing in mind before you drop $2k on a gruppo
    Last edited by SimpleJon; 12-04-2012 at 02:09 AM.

  20. #45
    No Stranger to danger....
    Reputation: Tone's's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    5,530
    Damn ive missed all the action, wheres cpfitness gone, come back cp.........
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

  21. #46
    Is not amused
    Reputation: Hutch3637's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    3,768
    Well after reading this thread, some good points, some not so good. As far as XT or XTR purchase what you can afford. XTR will hold up fine, you will just save on cash and gain a tiny bit of weight for XT.

    Also cpfitness for your comments and comparing other helpful members to a convicted pedophile.....
    Forgot to sign it, so here.


    -Hutch3637

  22. #47
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,986
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Damn ive missed all the action, wheres cpfitness gone, come back cp.........
    Damn it, living on the other side of the world

    I was getting excited reading the post too.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

  23. #48
    Axe
    Axe is online now
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Axe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    6,746
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    you will just save on cash and gain a tiny bit of weight for XT.
    I think SLX is where the value optimum is at.

  24. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    877
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch3637 View Post
    Well after reading this thread, some good points, some not so good. As far as XT or XTR purchase what you can afford. XTR will hold up fine, you will just save on cash and gain a tiny bit of weight for XT.

    Also cpfitness for your comments and comparing other helpful members to a convicted pedophile.....
    Forgot to sign it, so here.


    -Hutch3637
    Helpful member? Kindly show me how he was of any value to the op in this thread. He doesn't like the fact a "newb" with 100posts has made him look silly by disproving his erroneous statements so he has a vendetta against me. Oh no, what shall i do?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  25. #50
    Ride More, Whine Less
    Reputation: heyyall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    8,547
    I've yet to wear something out that isn't supposed to wear out (e.g., chain) by pure use. Cleaning, maintenance and proper use means stuff will out last your interests in a bike.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •