1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

XT V brakes or Deore Disc brakes

What would you choose between XT V brakes and Deore disc brakes?

ride hard take risks
    Disk

Who is John Galt?
    Jan 2006
    XT Vs with koolstop MTB pads by far.....if you want to go for simple/cheap'ish mechanical discs go for Avid BB7s.....

They turned me loose
    If you are referring to these Deore Package from Bikeman

By far, GET THE DISC BRAKES!!!!

I've had these same brakes for a LONG TIME. Shimano hydros are great!

mtbr member
    May 2006

Deore brakes maybe OK

But the damn hubs blow. I haven't even put 100 miles on my bike yet and the hubs feel like gears instead of bearings. Boo Deore hubs
    WFO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDude
    If you are referring to these Deore Package from Bikeman

By far, GET THE DISC BRAKES!!!!

I've had these same brakes for a LONG TIME. Shimano hydros are great!
    Agree with Dude! That is a smokin deal on good brakes. I also have these and love them because they work and I never have to touch them. I switched to hydraulics to get away from cable/housing maintenance so I recommend skipping cable-operated discs.
    "I've never been better .... nor cared less!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Maybe it's important to know the type of riding it will be used for. Deore XT v-brakes are pretty good under normal conditions. Maybe it'll just be used for light trail riding which in that case I'd go with the V's. But if they're going to be used for wet or muddy conditions then I would go with the Deore disc.
    Bare Knuckle Brigade

Killing Dreams One At A Time

mtbr member
    If you count grams and ride on "normal" conditions the V's might be a better choice. If you ride on wet or foul weather disks are the way to go.

My neighboor has them on his bikes and my son on his, good braking, low maintenance at a nice price, what are you waiting for?

...idios...

Avid over XT

Hello,
    I still run a V on the rear of my Enduro ( Hope Mini at the front ) and tried several types, including XT's, before I settled, very happily, with an Avid Arch Rival. I run cartridges, usually KoolStop, and can change pads depending on what kind of braking I need/feel like. I had an Arch Rival on the front before changing to a Hayes mech disc ( doh! ) and then, quickly, to a Hope. The Avids are fantastic, powerful brakes. If you choose the correct pads for your rim and riding style they will out-perform anything Shimano can offer, including XT's.
    Peace,
    Steve.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

If

If you already have a wheelset that can go to disc then the jump to disc's is worth it. I have already spent half my riding time futzing with my front V-brake to get it not to rub the rim every time I put the rim back on after transporting the bike to and from the trail. The reason I just don't go looser on the brake set up is that I am running with shimano dual control levers and if the brakes are set up loose then the braking and shifting at the same time ability dissappears.

If you need to purchase a disc compatable wheelset and money is not an issue than by all means make the jump to disc. For a good disc wheelset I would recommend Cane Creek Zonos Disk SS. Then go with Shimano dual control levers and the shimano disc breaks.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

There's no app for this.

amazing brake FAQ

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I agree with fanghas...depends on your needs,riding conditions etc etc... but I have found my front V-brake on my old beater Y-26 is a pain in the ass to keep it from rubbing the rim and to keep proper tension after the front wheel has been taken on/off. I don't ride in wet or muddy conditions very much but when I do I am very thankful for my disc.
    Last edited by Phantom44; 06-02-2006 at 11:13 PM.
    WFO

bi-winning
    Deore Disc.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club